David Murray's interview on Setanta from the weekend

Boab

On Sunday, I watched a Sir David Murray interview on Setanta Sports before the upcoming match, that I was about to watch at home.

However, due to people being at the game, arguably people often not caring for the pre-match preview and for other reasons I thought I'd give you an outline of what Sir David said.

I had pre set the full-program so caught the interview!

1. We will spend (on players) if we make a profit but if we don't then we won't.
    2. On the question if we're a selling club, he said that we'd only sell if it was a fiqure where it was seen we couldn't turn it down.
    3. Following on from that answer, he said that the offer for Alan Hutton was an offer that 'we as a board' could not turn down. He then said while Alan didn't initially want to go, he came round to the idea in that it would be in his best interests, financially, than what he could get in Scotland.
    4. On future signings - for next season - SDM said that Walter felt he didn't need his squad strengthend but wants two or three starters of a certain standard and thats what we'll be looking at in the summer.
    5. He noted that we have a very big squad, with Steven Smith, Alan Gow, Andy Webster, Thomas Buffel not regularly playing but we're still paying their wages.
    6. The Chairmen then, pleasently, for me, said that there was 'an underbelly of young scottish youngsters coming through that could add to the squad'. Such things are always positive for fans and for the un-named youngsters that I assume he means last year's trophy winners.
    7. Also, he was at pains to say that the Hutton money is all very well but we're still paying off the transfer fees of Ferguson and Buffel.
  • To conclude, he was then asked about the Ibrox development and he said that there had been in meetings with the councils and developers relating to across the road from the Stadium, Govan - Hinshelwood - and an announcement would be announced as soon as possible and the fans would be pleasantly surprised.
    For me, this wasn't a case of me backing or not giving my backing to the Chairman but really an article for your information as - rightly or wrongly - we often don't hear from the man at the top.
    Boab
    This is an article written by me, to be released by CR tomorrow.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pleasing thing for me reading that was the fact they both (him and Walter) acknowledge that 3 top quality players that would walk into (and stay in) the first team is more essential than quantity.

That sums it up well. We have plenty of decent squad players like Adam and Novo etc but we need some little bits of class and quality.

Im glad thats been identified.

Ferguson said in his book that despite the £4.5m fee being branded about Rangers got him for £2m or £2.5m IIRC.

It wouldn't suprise me if Murray had made up the questions.

A very disheartening interview. We're still paying of Fergusons transfer fee 3 and a half years on, that's shocking considering we took in £8million for Boumsong only two weeks before signing him.

Where did the Boumsong money go then ya gypsy cunt?

Weather we make a profit or not, not strengthening isn't an option. Especially when every word he utters hints at Cuellar having a 'for sale' sign hanging above his napper.

I'd prefer it if the lying bastard never mentioned Huttons name ever again, he can spin every little web he can muster. The supporters know why exactly he is no longer a Ranger.

If Wattie feels we don't need to strengthen the squad then I really do despair, he said similar before the January transfer window and we sold one of our best players and tried to punt another without spending a bean, this sounds ominous!

Wow, players not playing but still receiving wages. I wasn't aware of that. Does that happen at every other club on the planet where injuries occur and players fall out of the managers plans? :rolleyes:

Couldn't give a shit to be honest about the nationality of our players, as long as they play for the badge then their nationality/race/religion matters not a jot to me!

As for stadium development, believe it when I see it!

For me, this wasn't a case of me backing or not giving my backing to the Chairman but really an article for your information as - rightly or wrongly - we often don't hear from the man at the top.

What is your feeling then Boab?

Back him or not?

I personally dont know what to believe...

Im 21 and this is the 3rd time rumours/speculation/suggestions of a new stadium or Ibrox redevelopment has come up and from what i hear from older fans its happened a few times as well.

I have no reason not to trust what he says, and although i do question him remaining at the club and am personally not too fond of him all that is being said is benefitting Rangers and that can only be a good thing.

Its when you get chairmen like Romanov coming in and nearly ruining the club that you moan!

Back him or not?

Im 21 and this is the 3rd time rumours/speculation/suggestions of a new stadium or Ibrox redevelopment has come up and from what i hear from older fans its happened a few times as well.

I have no reason not to trust what he says, and although i do question him remaining at the club and am personally not too fond of him all that is being said is benefitting Rangers and that can only be a good thing.

Its when you get chairmen like Romanov coming in and nearly ruining the club that you moan!

I often hear folk say they are unsure about SDM but then say 'but then look at Romanov, it could be worse'

Forget about that, that is just a bizarre sorry state of affairs Hearts find themselves in. The chances of another bampot out there with the destructive capabilities Romanov has are zilch.

Murray, has for years now been lowering standards at Rangers and the expectations of its supporters, all the while stripping us of our heritage and right to celebrate our past.

Get him to fuck!

He's a tampon

Back him or not?

I'm just very neutral over the topic tbh. Not really got a view, like David though from what he's achieved despite his disability.

We profited in that transfer window. Boumsong away for £8m and Fergie and Buffel in for a combined fee of about £5/6m if you take away the money B/Burn owed us. How the fuck can we still be paying that ?

He talks right out his shiter.

Back him or not?

I'm just very neutral over the topic tbh. Not really got a view, like David though from what he's achieved despite his disability.

His disability to tell to the truth??

His disability although a tragic one wasn't something that would hold him back on a business sense.

It's irrelevent to Rangers. His inability to tell the truth though is!

Saw that interview and I think Boab MAY be mistaken in one part.

I believe SDM said we were paying the wages of Smith, Webster, Gow and Buffel, even though the were not playing. (Walter's choice - no?)

I am also of the opinion that the Reconstruction Project may well be a winner and that SDM has staked his reputation on this.

All in all I am upbeat about our future and glad to see that W Smith recognizes` that QUALITY is needed in the team.

If we can add THREE QUALITY players we can be a much better side.

RB and 2 x Midfield for me. DMB will give us a winger. (May also need a CB and a Striker).

IF WE MAKE A PROFIT.

£27m so far from Europe and sales so far..must be a profit in there somewhere.

For me Murray has got his spark back but where was he when we were shite and were getting hit from pillar to post by The Press and Media,UEFA,SFA and SPL.Being attacked in Spain and forced into grovelling apologies for the actions of a few fans.

Lost all respect i had for him when he too turned on us.

Open yer wallet that's what yer good fur.

I think people fail to remember what Murray has done for us!

Ibrox being the prime example, we have a 5 star ueafa rated stadium which he paid for himself.

during the late 80s and throughout the 90s he has spent his own cash on players which granted did bring success. but this success also brought crippling debt which may have finished the club if it were not for murrays shred business sense.

we cant expect murray to put in the same amount of money he has done in the past, no matter how wealthy he is. he realises that it isnt good for business or the club in the long run.

Granted muray will always talk crap some times, but ask yourself where we would be without him?

Ibrox being the prime example, we have a 5 star ueafa rated stadium which he paid for himself.

during the late 80s and throughout the 90s he has spent his own cash on players which granted did bring success. but this success also brought crippling debt which may have finished the club if it were not for murrays shred business sense.

we cant expect murray to put in the same amount of money he has done in the past, no matter how wealthy he is. he realises that it isnt good for business or the club in the long run.

Granted muray will always talk crap some times, but ask yourself where we would be without him?

And some people forget what Rangers have done for SDM!!!

The 5 star Stadium is just a number of things that SDM has made a profit on with our Great Club!

:rolleyes:

That's pathetic.

Judge him as a man, not a disability.

murray paid for our new stadium. :rolleyes:

SDM just hasn't got a chance, has he ????

He has been lambasted becuase of his silence, bemoaned becase he hasn't put his point of view or his plans in the public realm.

So, out he comes, gives an interview & gets lambasted for stating his intentions.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't !!!