Keegan: "I'll swap you Cuellar for Smith..."

JR

RANGERS plan a £5million bid for Toon misfit Alan Smith.

And Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is weighing up a swoop for West Ham striker Dean Ashton.

Ex-England star Smith, 27, (left) has failed to nail a regular starting spot under Keegan and has struggled since his £6m switch from Manchester United last August.

He was at Sunday’s Old Firm derby and Gers boss Walter Smith is set to test the water with a £5m bid at the end of the season.

But Toon sources say Smith’s £60,000-a-week wages could be a stumbling block for the Scottish champions.

Keegan wants Ibrox defender Carlos Cuellar and will push for a swap deal to land the Spaniard.

The Toon chief also has Ashton, 24, and Everton left-back Leighton Baines on his summer wish-list.

Ashton scored against Toon in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Upton Park.

Todays English Sun

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read about this, first thing Newcastle I think would let Smith go for £5 million to any club that offered that amount, regarding the wages we might have to break our pay structure but I feel he would be quite happy to take a substantial pay cut due to what we can offer him, Europe etc.

There is no way we should allow Cuellar to leave, and if there was a price we might allow then it would have to be £5 million at least plus Smith. Cuellar I don't think will want to leave anyway.

No way we should do any swap deals.

If Carlos is to go, it will be the same way Hutton went, being thrown out the door.

If that does happen, its a shame if it does, but if it happens, we should expect atleast £12million.