David Edgar/RST comment on Kenny Miller

Boab

Rangers supporters will heed Walter Smith's appeal to give Kenny Miller a chance in his second spell at the club, according to fans' spokesman David Edgar.

During the closing stages of last season, some Rangers supporters regularly voiced their displeasure at the prospective signing of Miller, who played under Dick Advocaat in 2000-01 and also had a spell at rivals Celtic before he returned to Glasgow earlier this month from Derby County, whom he joined in January.

Before the 28-year-old signed a three-year contract for a fee thought to be around £1.9m, Edgar, of the Rangers Supporters Trust, claimed the Scotland striker would be a "deeply unpopular" arrival.

Over the weekend, Smith, the Rangers manager, acknowledged that some fans were disgruntled over the arrival of Miller but asked them to reserve judgment.

In response, Edgar said that Smith's standing among the support would ensure Miller gets their backing - in the short term at least.

"The fans will back Walter Smith's judgment even though a section of them don't particularly like Miller," Edgar said. "They accept that Walter has the right to bring in the players that he wants to bring in.

"Walter is a very popular manager who has earned the respect of the fans and if he says Kenny Miller will improve the team then the fans will go along with that.

"Kenny will get the opportunity to turn the fans around but it was an unpopular signing and it would be naive to think otherwise.

"It has nothing to do with him being an ex-Celtic player. The fans are simply not keen on Kenny Miller and he will need to get off to a good start. I'm sure Kenny Miller himself knows how the fans feel about his arrival. And in many ways you have to hand it to him, he must have a strong character.

"He is aware of the feelings of the fans but it doesn't appeared to have affected him. But it is up to him to prove himself. He has to get the fans onside by delivering the goods.

"I think he will get a low-key reception when he turns out at Ibrox for the first time this season, which looks like it will be in the friendly against Liverpool on August 2.

"People will be waiting to see what he does. But he is a Rangers player and the fans will give anyone in a blue jersey 110% backing."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...ove_himself.php

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes another good sound bit from David Edgar.

As has been said many times before, we don't want him because he is not good enough. That is the main reason so many are against him.

He keeps saying that it is nothing to do with him playing for Celtc but that is just wrong. There wasn't a reaction like this when we signed Dailly or Weir, for example, and the fans certainly didn't want them.

He keeps saying that it is nothing to do with him playing for Celtc but that is just wrong. There wasn't a reaction like this when we signed Dailly or Weir, for example, and the fans certainly didn't want them.

Aye (tu)

Edgar should just admit it or perhaps its just too much to say it, politically (for want of a better word).

Aye (tu)

Edgar should just admit it or perhaps its just too much to say it, politically (for want of a better word).

He probably wont say it because you get idiots like McGnee & Spiers who will simply brand us bigots, forgetting that there is actually a footballing rivalry between us and Celtic.

I think David is just making sure he says the right thing at the moment to try and dilute some of the damage done to the Trust over the past couple of months. There is no way he is going to say that the Rangers support don't like Miller because he is an ex-Celtic player, the Trust don't need any more bad publicity as true as that statement may be.

To be honest i don't think most fans would be bothered if he played for Celtic if he was a good player. The fact that he failed at both Rangers and Celtic only for us to re-sign him is what really gets most of us.

Aye (tu)

Come on Boab Davie and the Trust would get slaughtered if they admitted that.

I think David is just making sure he says the right thing at the moment to try and dilute some of the damage done to the Trust over the past couple of months. There is no way he is going to say that the Rangers support don't like Miller because he is an ex-Celtic player, the Trust don't need any more bad publicity as true as that statement may be.

To be honest i don't think most fans would be bothered if he played for Celtic if he was a good player. The fact that he failed at both Rangers and Celtic only for us to re-sign him is what really gets most of us.

I know what you mean mate, but have you ever heard chants against a potential signing like we seen with Miller? Why is he different from any other poor player we have signed - and we have signed a few!?

The fact that he is a poor player is just the icing on top of the cake - the real reason we have seen a reaction like this one is because he is an ex-Celtc player.

Aye (tu)

Of course, but be handy if somebody could say something though thats respected.

Aye (tu)

They shouldn't have said anything at all.

Aye (tu)

Exactly! The RST should have no opinion on players or signings.

Aye (tu)

So yuour saying that the RSt, a supporters group shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on players?

If you believe that then do you also believe that we, the casual fans, shouldn't either?

Aye (tu)

'Respected'?

Dunno what you have in mind there.

He's RST press bod.

Press approaches him (on the back of Walter's recent appeal about the wee cunt).

Over the weekend, Smith, the Rangers manager, acknowledged that some fans were disgruntled over the arrival of Miller but asked them to reserve judgment.

In response, Edgar said that Smith's standing among the support would ensure Miller gets their backing - in the short term at least.

I'm guessing that the press approached him rather than vice-versa.

So in your infinite wisdom Boab, how would you have responded?

Make a bland statement that won't stir up the shit the press want?

Or would you have said a load of us hate him cos he played for the scum?

Even at the risk of incurring the wrath of the internet warriors, I think you would go for the former, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Yes another good sound bit from David Edgar.

As has been said many times before, we don't want him because he is not good enough. That is the main reason so many are against him.

Now every time Edgar opens his mouth he comes accross as an idiot...........................saying it has got nothing to do with him playing for Celtic is niave and it'll come back and haunt him. Who out there actually believes him and because he's making eveyone out to be as stupid as he is they'll have a ball in the rags at our expense.

The newspaper seemed to suggest he was talking for the whole support, thus saying most of us on here and in the stands don't like Kenny simple because he's not Rangers class............................another own goal by the self proclaimed Bears mouthpiece.

All he had to say was, we'll support him because he plays for Rangers, end of story, no need to eleborate but hey Edgar needs more so he can puff out his chest.

Aye (tu)

So yuour saying that the RSt, a supporters group shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on players?

If you believe that then do you also believe that we, the casual fans, shouldn't either?

Yes that is what I am saying. As individuals of course we all have an opinion (football would be crap without it) but as a Rangers supporters group then there should be no comments. Opinions of fans change that often and we have so many different opinions how can a body of fans make a comment. Where would it all stop.

David may be speaking from a personal point of view and not as vice-chairman of the RST so that in my opinion that would make it ok. I believe the RST have a policy that they do not comment on players.

Aye (tu)

'Respected'?

He's RST press bod.

Press approaches him (on the back of Walter's recent appeal about the wee cunt).

Even at the risk of incurring the wrath of the internet warriors, I think you would go for the former, but feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

I think Edgar and the RST have said exactly the right thing. (tu)

'Respected'?

He's RST press bod.

Hold on, I meant respected as maybe an ex player/legend admitting it when commenting on it. That was all.

Into the bargain, the RST are a bit flaky at the moment into the bargain I dare say.

Guest Andypendek

Was there a vote of RST members polling their opinions on Miller, if they disliked him why and what they thought of Smith's appeal? If there was there's nothing wrong with the statement.

If there wasn't yer man could do with shutting his yap. I never asked him to speak for me on Miller or anything else, he's the RST spokesman not the 'fans' spokesman.'

Was there a vote of RST members polling their opinions on Miller, if they disliked him why and what they thought of Smith's appeal? If there was there's nothing wrong with the statement.

If there wasn't yer man could do with shutting his yap. I never asked him to speak for me on Miller or anything else, he's the RST spokesman not the 'fans' spokesman.'

Press: 'Mr Edgar do the RST have any comment on Walter's statement about miller'?

Davie: 'Hold on I'll organise a ballot of RST Members and get back to you in a month'.

He has never claimed to be anything other that a spokesman for the RST.

The press label him 'fans' spokesman.'

And if any RST Member has problems with his statements, they can raise them through the RST.

Press spokespeople do not 'shut their lap' they give comments when asked to do so.

Or issue statements when the Organisation decides.

Hold on, I meant respected as maybe an ex player/legend admitting it when commenting on it. That was all.

Not what you said Boab:

somebody could say something though thats respected

If you meant 'somebody who is respected could say something', you should have said it.

Personally I have a great deal of respect for Brother Edgar.....

theres not much else he can say, we have to put up with the fact hes signed and will play. nothing else we can do about it unless he plays so poorly that walter has to notice and drop him.