Pedro Mendes - Bid Accepted

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers have been given renewed hope of signing Steven Davis after Fulham lowered their £4m valuation of the Northern Ireland midfielder.

The Herald understands Rangers have also lined up Pedro Mendes, the Portsmouth playmaker, as a back-up. The Portuguese would help add to the club's creative department but his wages - believed to be in excess of £30,000-a-week - could prove prohibitive.

Martin Bain, the Ibrox chief executive, resumed negotiations with the Fulham board yesterday and while the clubs have yet to agree a deal, Rangers are back in contention despite Blackburn Rovers lodging a £3.5m bid.

Davis has expressed his desire to join Rangers on a permanent deal and fresh talks could take place today in a bid to sign the midfielder before the midnight transfer deadline for the Champions League second qualifying round tie against FB Kaunas.

Rangers are also involved in a game of brinkmanship with Cardiff City over the possible signing of Glenn Loovens. Dave Jones, the Cardiff manager, has told Rangers to firm up their interest with a serious offer but with the defender in the final year of his contract, Smith is prepared to play the long game. Rangers will consider an offer in the region of £1.5m in due course but are prepared to wait until January.

One player who will not be signing is former Aberdeen defender, Russell Anderson. The Sunderland centre back has rejuvenated his career on loan to Plymouth Argyle and while Paul Sturrock is keen to sign him on a permanent deal, reports claimed Rangers were set to make a £500,000 bid.

With Davis the priority, it is also unlikely Adam Johnson will join on loan from Middlesbrough. Ewan Chester, the Rangers chief scout, had identified Johnson's potential last season.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines..._be_revived.php

You beauty Muffger on the source!!! lets make it happen!

just being linked with Davis and Mendes has lifted the cloud for now, I hope we get all 4 Loovens and Johnson an all, exciting times if we can get em, and for me renewed optimism we are looking in the right places ooooh yes, now dont let us down BAIN FFS

You beauty Muffger on the source!!! lets make it happen!

just being linked with Davis and Mendes has lifted the cloud for now, I hope we get all 4 Loovens and Johnson an all, exciting times if we can get em, and for me renewed optimism we are looking in the right places ooooh yes, now dont let us down BAIN FFS

No chance we are getting 4 of them .

I'd take both and it's exactly what we should be trying to do.

A midfield of Davis, Thomson and Mendes with Beasley and a RW would be tremendous!

A midfield of Davis, Thomson and Mendes with Beasley and a RW would be tremendous!

Agreed, those two and a wing king and we would run away with our championship. :unionflag:

True, but then king Barry would come back and he would be back in regardless :unionflag:

A choice of bazza, tommo, mendes and davis at CM........... :drool:

True, but then king Barry would come back and he would be back in regardless :unionflag:

It would be our strongest midfield since 2000 without a doubt

Yeah I'd easily take Mendes over Davis. It's not much of a contest really. I know their is a age difference and wage difference, but I think Mendes would have a much bigger impact on our play and results.

Quite coincidental i suggested him on here the other day.

No it wouldn't (tu)

No it wouldn't (tu)

Name a better one...........

I'm all over this thread like a dug eatin beetroot!

I'm no holding the breath though, but finally linked with someone with real quality and wee Mendes has that in abundance, and he can't hoff dig a baw.. :D

C'mon Bain give him 28k and make him a Bear....