• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html

Eastern promise at Ibrox?

EXCLUSIVE RANGERS CREDIT CRUNCH CRISIS How financial mayhem is hitting football

By Steve Bates

Rangers have become the surprise target for TWO groups of investors from Eastern Europe looking to gain a foothold in British football.

The consortiums, one from Hungary and the other from Romania, have looked at Rangers and Championship side Watford as the two clubs with potential for a takeover.

They see acquiring Rangers as a viable project, with the club's vast fan base, history and tradition an incentive despite current financial difficulties at Ibrox.

Advertisement

With Arab owners expected to flood into football after buying Manchester City, Rangers fans would prefer that option. East European money would not be their first choice - particularly after the problems with Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov at Hearts.

But Rangers need new reserves of cash especially after suffering a disastrous Champions League qualifying-round exit earlier this summer.

That exit could cost Rangers anything up to £10million in lost TV fees and appearance money - but the two consortiums are looking beyond that.

Just three days ago Ibrox chairman Sir David Murray told the Rangers annual meeting that after 20 years serving the club, it is still his intention to sell - but only to the right buyers.

"I have made it quite clear that eventually I have to go. I could have sold the club two or three times but it's not about money for me and I've said that repeatedly," he said.

Rather keep Murray than some rich wanker who would use us as a toy.

Newsnow Rangers, two consortiums one from Hungary one from Romania, ffs pikeys.We will have the best driveway in the land.

Sure to be sure Ioi can tar ur droive for 1 hundred & fifty quid.

Its an art spreading it so thin & making it look good.Tinkers

By Steve Bates

Rangers have become the surprise target for TWO groups of investors from Eastern Europe looking to gain a foothold in British football.

The consortiums, one from Hungary and the other from Romania, have looked at Rangers and Championship side Watford as the two clubs with potential for a takeover.

They see acquiring Rangers as a viable project, with the club's vast fan base, history and tradition an incentive despite current financial difficulties at Ibrox.

Advertisement

With Arab owners expected to flood into football after buying Manchester City, Rangers fans would prefer that option. East European money would not be their first choice - particularly after the problems with Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov at Hearts.

But Rangers need new reserves of cash especially after suffering a disastrous Champions League qualifying-round exit earlier this summer.

That exit could cost Rangers anything up to £10million in lost TV fees and appearance money - but the two consortiums are looking beyond that.

Just three days ago Ibrox chairman Sir David Murray told the Rangers annual meeting that after 20 years serving the club, it is still his intention to sell - but only to the right buyers.

"I have made it quite clear that eventually I have to go. I could have sold the club two or three times but it's not about money for me and I've said that repeatedly," he said.

Who they kidding!? Don't want ragheads or fukin gypsies!

what a fuckin shit headline making out we are in dire straits cause of the credit crunch. we have been looking to sell for ages and out of all Murray has done wrong he will at least keep our interests in check when selling.

We may have los 10m in revenue but if we had todays team playing them games agian we would have won(when walter has his cap on and not a tea cosy)

By Steve Bates

Advertisement

Yes, it would be just awful to have owners who are willing to pay over £200,000 p/w to sign the player they are interested in.

By Steve Bates

Advertisement

Don't really need racists either ;)

Yes, it would be just awful to have owners who are willing to pay over £200,000 p/w to sign the player they are interested in.

(tu) Load of rubbish, i don't want rangers being the next chelsea or man city.

We want rangers men in charge, that know of the club, and the pride of the club.

(Cue random murray rants... )

We want rangers men in charge, that know of the club, and the pride of the club.

Yes and there is a lot of them around with big cheque books.

Move with the times. Foreign investment is and will be the way forward.

It doesn't surprise me to see these sort of stories starting, especially as Rangers have secured the deal with Glasgow City Council for the land re-development. SDM is going to have to find investors from somewhere if this is eventually to go ahead, and there might also be grants available due to the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow and as Ibrox is a stadium which should be getting used, the surrounding land is an eye sore and this would be embarrassing for the city.

Don't think SDM would accept involvement from Hungary and Romania though, obviously I have no solid grounds for this assumption, but if there was to be investment in Rangers I can see it coming from America or even Asia. Either way investment in Rangers is not going to come from within the UK that I do feel certain about.

You don't want Rangers having a billionaire owner? Why's that?

Rangers men? You do know that Sir David Murray was born and bred as an Ayr United fan, right?

A wealthy, foreign owner doesnt necessarily mean the rest of the hierarchy has to be foreign.

I'd like to know more about potential buyiers before saying anything.

Couldn't give a flying f*ck where they came from, as long as they do what's best for the club.

You don't want Rangers having a billionaire owner? Why's that?

Rangers men? You do know that Sir David Murray was born and bred as an Ayr United fan, right?

A wealthy, foreign owner doesnt necessarily mean the rest of the hierarchy has to be foreign.

But theres a difference in someone like SDM and a foreigner coming in, for me Chelsea and Man City have now lost all touch with any tradition either team had before, they are just cogs in the money making machine, a little project or toy to play with for these rich blokes.

They have fans who just watch them because they are THE team of the moment, and chop and change with the season.

There is far too much money thrown around in the football industry at the moment, players aren't worth the £100k they get a week nevermind the £50 million tag they have stuck to them..

Having a billionaire owner means we are just joining in on all that bullshit.

What happened to the days when players got £50 a week and played for the team they love, or just because they love football?

Half the players out there wouldn't play for teams nowadays just because they aren't getting enough money.

Look at Ronaldo's (Man U) comment a few months back..

"Im a slave" doh

Fuck off ronaldo (tu)

Money doesn't always buy a team, look at Hearts a few years back :lol:

If they come in and buy 40/45% of rangers, I'd jump at the chance... means Murray doesnt own 90odd% of the team anymore, and we can get some solid investment.

I'd probably welcome them with open arms...

If they don't strip our assets and stand up for the club against our enemies then I'd welcome them with open legs...

If they come in and buy 40/45% of rangers, I'd jump at the chance... means Murray doesnt own 90odd% of the team anymore, and we can get some solid investment.

I'd probably welcome them with open arms...

If they don't strip our assets and stand up for the club against our enemies then I'd welcome them with open legs...

We will remember you said that mate (tu):lol:

I think we're a bit too soon to jump up and say no, I mean we don't know the full details. This could be a great move for the club, but as much as I think Murray has to go, if there is something dodgy about this, we all know he will chase them. But lets find out what they have to say and see what they can bring to the table.