What will Walter do?

rfc_no1fan

With the return on Barry Ferguson imminent, I have been thinking about which way Walter will now approach the games in the SPL. If Barry is fit, Barry plays and Pedro Mendes didn't come to Rangers to be part of a squad rotation. 2 automatic starters.

Competition in the middle of the park is healthy, but how can we keep everyone happy?

Steven Davis has played well on the right, but I don't think he wants to be stuck out there for the duration of the season and without a tough tackling midfielder like Thomson in the side, we lose the midfield battle and midfielders are allowed to run at our defense.

Do we go 4-5-1? do we stick with the 4-4-2 and play narrow in midfield? or does Walter have other plans?

The sale of Alan Hutton was a tough one to take 10 months ago, but it hurts even more now. The answer to our problem is to play 2 attacking fullbacks. Who do we have at our disposal? Kirk Broadfoot and Sasa Papac. Not going to work.

---------------McGregor--------------

RB------Weir------Bougherra-----LB

--------------Thomson----------------

-----Davis--Ferguson--Mendes------

-----------Miller-----------------------

--------------------Boyd

Can Whittaker and Smith come back and do a job? Or do we have to get rid of the likes of Broadfoot, Adam, JCD, Hemdani, Velicka etc and free up some money for at least 1 attacking full back

Thoughts?

He'll manipulate the team to fit Ferguson in, possibly going with a 4-5-1. At least that's what I think he'll do. What he should do is leave Ferguson out as centre midfield is not an issue at the moment. Width is our main problem.

He'll manipulate the team to fit Ferguson in, possibly going with a 4-5-1. At least that's what I think he'll do. What he should do is leave Ferguson out as centre midfield is not an issue at the moment. Width is our main problem.

(tu) Spot on.

i personally think we will play without width

--------Ferguson--Mendes--Davis----------------

--------------------Thomson-----------------------

Yep....He has bought 2 many central players and hasnt got a clue which formation to play.

Not like we can say, well we have 2 great wingers who will keep any of them out, cause we dont.

Yep....He has bought 2 many central players and hasnt got a clue which formation to play.

Not like we can say, well we have 2 great wingers who will keep any of them out, cause we dont.

closest we have to wingers is Beasley and Burke

mibbe Aaron (if he ever plays), Adam? :craphead:

Good post. Provokes thought.

I believe he will go for a midfield of Thomson/Edu playing behind Davis Ferguson and Mendes who can be fluid if they want.

The problem with that is no width as mentioned above.

What NOT to do? play ONE up front in the SPL.

We may therefore go for: Davis, Ferguson Mendes and Lafferty/Novo/Beasley/Aaron.

Walter has a tough decision(s) to make.

How then does he keep the likes of Velicka, Aaron, Adam, McCulloch, JCD, Whittaker, Daily, etc happy?

Does any youngster like Fleck, Loy, McMillan ever get a chance?

What happens when our Loan players Gow, Lennon, Furman etc return?

Very interesting indeed.

I think Hutton's sale is hurting less now. Broadfoot's confidence is as high as its ever been and he's been bombing up and down that right flank most of the season. I've been impressed by how attacking Broadfoot has been so far.

Personally, I prefer width so I'm finding it hard to figure a way to fit our 4 best midfielders into the team. I suggested a 3-5-2 before and I'd still like to see it. It can be a very positive formation.

how do you know he hasnt got a clue which formation he wants to play?? is that you walter?

i posted a thread identical to this the other day ..... i say this is how we should play... (in relation to Beasley lossing form recently)

______________________________McGregor________________________

_____________________Bougherra________Weir__________________

Broadfoot________________________________________________Papac

_____________________________Thomson_______________________

____________Davis____________Fergie_______Mendes______________

_______________________Boyd______Miller_______________________

i posted a thread identical to this the other day ..... i say this is how we should play... (in relation to Beasley lossing form recently)

______________________________McGregor________________________

_____________________Bougherra________Weir__________________

Broadfoot________________________________________________Papac

_____________________________Thomson_______________________

____________Davis____________Fergie_______Mendes______________

_______________________Boyd______Miller_______________________

i agree , this is our best side available at the moment

Would hate to see a midfield of: Davis_Ferguson_Mendes_Thomson. That is awful, especially with the R and LB we have - as for Whittaker, I wouldn't have him in the team, he is fcuking brutal!

I wouldn't like to see Mendes on the left or Ferguson in the advanced role. I also think that if Thomson is dropped then it will take away the balance he brings to the side.

I honestly don't have a clue what he is going to do and some of the formations and tactics he could come up with doesn't really impress me. Yet again he got it wrong in the transfer market - he hasn't really signed the type of players we need - in that I mean the position they play. We signed Mendes, Davis and Edu - 3 central midfielders when we already had Ferguson and Thomson.

We have to continue to play with two upfront so the possibility of 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 should be thrown out the window.

If it was down to me Ferguson would sit on the bench until results went against us and players like Thomson, Mendes and Davis picked up an injury, suspension or loss of form - unfortunately Mr Rangers will walk straight back into the side and someone will lose out.

With the return on Barry Ferguson imminent, I have been thinking about which way Walter will now approach the games in the SPL. If Barry is fit, Barry plays and Pedro Mendes didn't come to Rangers to be part of a squad rotation. 2 automatic starters.

Competition in the middle of the park is healthy, but how can we keep everyone happy?

Steven Davis has played well on the right, but I don't think he wants to be stuck out there for the duration of the season and without a tough tackling midfielder like Thomson in the side, we lose the midfield battle and midfielders are allowed to run at our defense.

Do we go 4-5-1? do we stick with the 4-4-2 and play narrow in midfield? or does Walter have other plans?

The sale of Alan Hutton was a tough one to take 10 months ago, but it hurts even more now. The answer to our problem is to play 2 attacking fullbacks. Who do we have at our disposal? Kirk Broadfoot and Sasa Papac. Not going to work.

---------------McGregor--------------

RB------Weir------Bougherra-----LB

--------------Thomson----------------

-----Davis--Ferguson--Mendes------

-----------Miller-----------------------, Wir

--------------------Boyd

Can Whittaker and Smith come back and do a job? Or do we have to get rid of the likes of Broadfoot, Adam, JCD, Hemdani, Velicka etc and free up some money for at least 1 attacking full back

Thoughts?

Good post mate.

I think that formation is about right, with Miller and Boyd being the most changeable of the players.

I think (controversially) that we need to get shot of Papac, Weir and Broadfoot for that to work. I'd happily take two less defensively solid fullbacks that offer more going forward, because we'd need that for the formation to work.

And if we're going to be doing that, Weir's not fast enough to help cover.