The Rangers Fan of 2008 is a strange breed and one I often fail to recognise

Tontospal

Same post different week. Would love for this type of bear to come back but its the same stuff being posted every single week now getting a bit boreing.

I await "dont read the thread then" etc etc.

P.S 99.9% of my RSC still has this kind of bear. Don't be fooled by people on the internet.

ive been on your bus coming up from ayr few years ago but full of good bears who helped me out when stranded in ayr something opening poster was on about

bears helping bears the way it should be

oh and for the record they wouldnt take any money off me when heard i was member of another supporters club

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same post different week. Would love for this type of bear to come back but its the same stuff being posted every single week now getting a bit boreing.

P.S 99.9% of my RSC still has this kind of bear. Don't be fooled by people on the internet.

ive been on your bus coming up from ayr few years ago but full of good bears who helped me out when stranded in ayr something opening poster was on about

oh and for the record they wouldnt take any money off me when heard i was member of another supporters club

Yep, it's a good RSC. Point I was trying to make though that there is a lot more of these RSC's about yet there seems to be posts on here regular saying that traditional bears have gone.

Society has moved on - whether you want to acknowledge it or not - women have the vote - and now many women attend the games (but perhaps you feel it should be a male working class only club as well.)

Coloureds are no longer slaves, miners no longer tenured and racism and bigotry is going the same way - out the door. As for the purile argument of 'they' get awawy singing 'thier' songs - what nonsense.

Kids of all races and religions do go to school together (and while there may be Catholic schools, at the school my Daughter goes to there are many Catholics as well as muslims, seiks and predominately protestant (actually predominantly athiest). But even if faith schools were the norm - what the fuck has that got to do with Football - nothing!

It was I who realised I was a 90 minute bigot and I sought to change (see previous post) - life moves on - lets hope it doesn't leave you behind.

Black people hate being called "coloureds" you racist git :craphead:

And to be fair, if you're advocating a PC environment where everyone is equal then it is relevant what other fans sing. We should all be treated in the same manner ;)

Aye, its a daft world - not sure what to call anyone anymore - ffs people on this board take offence at h** - still thanks for letting me know ! <cr>

Yep, it's a good RSC. Point I was trying to make though that there is a lot more of these RSC's about yet there seems to be posts on here regular saying that traditional bears have gone.

i know our bus has 49 people on it every away game(no need for home games we walk it) and its full of traditional supporters who have been brought up the rangers just like yours mate

we are out there and i would suggest more that the kum-by-ya tambourine thumping "supporters" that frequent internet forums

What planet do you live on?

Let's look at your comments:

Women got the vote in 1918 - how is that relevant to our argument? The only mention I made of women was that years ago our support was mostly male and I make no apology for saying that it was better IMO then. I have no problem with women going to games but the atmosphere has certainly worsened since the support became more family based.

Slavery (as we know it) was abolished in the 19th century so again how is that relevant to your argument? As for society moving on just open your eyes and you will see that slavery and tyranny still exists in certain parts of the world. Indeed there are still countries where women are denied the vote and in Saudi Arabia's case even allowed to drive. But as you say society has moved on, all apart from dinosaur Rangers fans like me.

As for your comments re: their songs. I take it you have no problem with them singing what they like and getting away with it as long as we don't offend them with our big, bad, proddy words? It's not the singing their songs, it's the sheer hypocrisy and PC handwringers I have a problem with. They can sing what they like and we shpould be able to sing what we like. As the old rhyme goas - sticks and stones etc etc

Your best comments however were about the schools. We have a segregated education system in this country, and the majority of a minority religion, albeit a sizeable minority at that, attend separate schools. But it's not really an issue because your daughter goes to school with some RCs.

You also ask what has this got to do with football. The sport nothing but in the case of Scottish football and Rangers and celtc in particular it is extremely naive of you to even ask that. In a normal society football and politics and religion shouldn't really mix but here they do. It is part of the fabric of our society whether you like it or not. If it was such a problem for you, why did you choose to support Rangers?

The vast majority of our support do so because we are the protestant team of choice and their lot because they are the RC team of choice. Whether that is right or wrong is another argument but it is a fact of life and the true reason why both clubs are so popular and have been so successful over their histories.

I'm confused. In one post you state that following conversations with others you realised you were a 90 minute bigot and then in the last post it was you who thought you ought to change. It sounds like you're an ex-smoker and discussing that dreadful habit to people who still choose to smoke despite the views and attitudes of others.

You seem to think it's a big deal when in reality Scottish football has no real sectarian problems. Indeed we have probably the tamest set of fans in the world and trouble at games in this country is virtually non existent.

The real Scottish problems are knives, obesity, drugs, drink etc but football fans are an easy target.

These are real society problems.

I've never carried a knife, never done drugs, hardly drink and exercise daily but according to you society has left me behind because I still think there is nothing wrong with singing TBB and standing up for the traditions and culture that made Rangers stand apart and famous the world over.

The new PC, handwringing breed of fans really does make me sick.

I like the bit where you say atmosphere has worsened because families have come along - is that a bad thing - or are you an elitist male who thinks its only MEN who should attent - because thats how it came across.

I used the arguments of womens vote and slavery to show societies change - many fough both these issues but we now see they are sensible and mainstream - and so it will be with religious tolerance, of which you seem to have none.

If there is no problem in football why are you so upset about it ?

I am overweight (fat bastard actually), like to drink and eat so gald to see all ills in society are at my door - however at least I still can get the energy to do some hand wringing. The reason why football fans are easy targets are because people make it so. Move on with the times!

.. and the point you are making is someone who is NOT a traditionalist would not have helped - only a 'good ole' Billy Boy' would have the humanity to help ?? I would help a fellow fan in trouble,but am by no means a 'traditionalist' but then I would probably help a Celtic fan in trouble (and maybe even an Aberdeen fan) !

.. and the point you are making is someone who is NOT a traditionalist would not have helped - only a 'good ole' Billy Boy' would have the humanity to help ?? I would help a fellow fan in trouble,but am by no means a 'traditionalist' but then I would probably help a Celtic fan in trouble (and maybe even an Aberdeen fan) !

How do you stop an Aberdeen fan fae drownin.

Take yer fit aff his heid......boom boom

feck off my point was to maybole loyal not you i was pointing out to him that he travels on a good supporters bus

youre trying to make something out of nothing

and for the record i would help anyone out ask guys on here that know me and i wouldnt even ask them who they supported

feck off my point was to maybole loyal not you i was pointing out to him that he travels on a good supporters bus

and for the record i would help anyone out ask guys on here that know me and i wouldnt even ask them who they supported

(tu)

I know for a fact that is the case with kpl, he is a bear who will always help if help is needed (tu)

What planet do you live on?

Let's look at your comments:

Women got the vote in 1918 - how is that relevant to our argument? The only mention I made of women was that years ago our support was mostly male and I make no apology for saying that it was better IMO then. I have no problem with women going to games but the atmosphere has certainly worsened since the support became more family based.

Slavery (as we know it) was abolished in the 19th century so again how is that relevant to your argument? As for society moving on just open your eyes and you will see that slavery and tyranny still exists in certain parts of the world. Indeed there are still countries where women are denied the vote and in Saudi Arabia's case even allowed to drive. But as you say society has moved on, all apart from dinosaur Rangers fans like me.

As for your comments re: their songs. I take it you have no problem with them singing what they like and getting away with it as long as we don't offend them with our big, bad, proddy words? It's not the singing their songs, it's the sheer hypocrisy and PC handwringers I have a problem with. They can sing what they like and we shpould be able to sing what we like. As the old rhyme goas - sticks and stones etc etc

Your best comments however were about the schools. We have a segregated education system in this country, and the majority of a minority religion, albeit a sizeable minority at that, attend separate schools. But it's not really an issue because your daughter goes to school with some RCs.

You also ask what has this got to do with football. The sport nothing but in the case of Scottish football and Rangers and celtc in particular it is extremely naive of you to even ask that. In a normal society football and politics and religion shouldn't really mix but here they do. It is part of the fabric of our society whether you like it or not. If it was such a problem for you, why did you choose to support Rangers?

The vast majority of our support do so because we are the protestant team of choice and their lot because they are the RC team of choice. Whether that is right or wrong is another argument but it is a fact of life and the true reason why both clubs are so popular and have been so successful over their histories.

I'm confused. In one post you state that following conversations with others you realised you were a 90 minute bigot and then in the last post it was you who thought you ought to change. It sounds like you're an ex-smoker and discussing that dreadful habit to people who still choose to smoke despite the views and attitudes of others.

You seem to think it's a big deal when in reality Scottish football has no real sectarian problems. Indeed we have probably the tamest set of fans in the world and trouble at games in this country is virtually non existent.

The real Scottish problems are knives, obesity, drugs, drink etc but football fans are an easy target.

These are real society problems.

I've never carried a knife, never done drugs, hardly drink and exercise daily but according to you society has left me behind because I still think there is nothing wrong with singing TBB and standing up for the traditions and culture that made Rangers stand apart and famous the world over.

The new PC, handwringing breed of fans really does make me sick.

I like the bit where you say atmosphere has worsened because families have come along - is that a bad thing - or are you an elitist male who thinks its only MEN who should attent - because thats how it came across.

I used the arguments of womens vote and slavery to show societies change - many fough both these issues but we now see they are sensible and mainstream - and so it will be with religious tolerance, of which you seem to have none.

If there is no problem in football why are you so upset about it ?

I am overweight (fat bastard actually), like to drink and eat so gald to see all ills in society are at my door - however at least I still can get the energy to do some hand wringing. The reason why football fans are easy targets are because people make it so. Move on with the times!

I stated that I have no problem with women attending games although I think that the atmosphere has deteriorated in line with the rise in the number of women attending.

If you are asking me what I would rather have at games then it would be either less women and a better atmosphere or women who add to the atmosphere.

You are certainly a typical PC, handwringer - where in any of my posts have I shown that I have no religious tolerance? Of course I'm the bigot because I want the children of this country to be educated together as opposed to what I see as the real bigots, the ones who want them to be kept apart.

Because I believe that Rangers should be allowed to celebrate our protestant heritage, culture and traditions I am a bigot. I think you will even find in ne of my posts that I stated that it was right for the FTP add ons to go.

But that doesn't fit the agenda of the PC, handwringing brigade does it? They think all things Rangers are bad and bigoted but that all things celtc, nationalist and republican are acceptable.

I believe that there is no real problem in football but where I get angry is with the common perception that exists and is highlighted on a daily basis that a lot of the ills in our society are down to Rangers and their fans when in reality it is not the case at all.

You do not seem open to the debate at all and you end with your dig to move on with the times.

Yet, you fail to comment on the apartheid education system apart from to say that your daughter has a few non-athiest/non-protestants in her class/school.

I know for a fact that is the case with kpl, he is a bear who will always help if help is needed (tu)

thanks mate and the day you met me in sunderland i will never forget and any time i can help you out if i can i will coop (tu)

(tu) Offered to hang around ibrox at night with me, as its a dodgy area

(tu) Offered to hang around ibrox at night with me, as its a dodgy area

that only cause i know you have expensive camera stuff and i can mug you myself :harhar:

I think that the atmosphere has deteriorated in line with the rise in the number of women attending.

Tonto: there are all sorts of reasons for the change/dilution in atmosphere over the years.

• More women.

• More youngsters

• No alcohol in the grounds

And, for me the three biggest culprits

1. The disappearance of terracing.

2. The displacement of friends around the ground with the advent of all seater stadia.

3. The chronically dire nature of competition and quality of fitba on offer at most matches.

why do so may feel shamed of our past.

Do they? I talk with fellow Bears all the time - I don't know if I've ever had a conversation about feeling shame over our past. I certainly don't feel that way.

TBB is the perfect example of something it would appear that our fans are ashamed of from our past.

We all sung it, we all knew what the words were and what they meant but as soon as we're told it's bad it stops almost overnight.

Watch any old game from before the last 2 years and whenever we score, lift a trophy or the team needs lifting the first song you hear is TBB.

Getting this banned was a major achievement for celtc fans as I have never heard a more rousing football anthem anywhere in the world.

I think that the atmosphere has deteriorated in line with the rise in the number of women attending.

Tonto: there are all sorts of reasons for the change/dilution in atmosphere over the years.

• More women.

• More youngsters

• No alcohol in the grounds

And, for me the three biggest culprits

1. The disappearance of terracing.

2. The displacement of friends around the ground with the advent of all seater stadia.

3. The chronically dire nature of competition and quality of fitba on offer at most matches.

Without a doubt but the main reason is the lack of fans willing to sing.

You don't have to have had a drink, be standing or sitting with your friends to get behind your team. They're just excuses although there is no argument with number 3.

However, the fact is that our fans are now scared to sing songs that have always been regarded as traditional Rangers songs.

TBB is the perfect example of something it would appear that our fans are ashamed of from our past.

We all sung it, we all knew what the words were and what they meant but as soon as we're told it's bad it stops almost overnight.

No chance - I don't know a single bear ashamed of that song. Me included. I've sang it lustily enough myself a thousand times and more.

I don't even accept it stopped because we were told it was bad. It was getting the club into trouble, and was going to get us in a whole lot more. There wouldn't have been a lot of pride in continuing with it as an act of defiance and witnessing our club being hammered left, right and centre.

Simply put - without a legal challenge to protect our right to sing it there was no other solution available but to drop it.