**Warning** You may need to be revived after reading this from Spiers

schwantz

Came upon this online, has the worm indeed turned?

From The Times

November 21, 2008

David Murray hits back at John Reid

The Ibrox chairman lays into his Celtic counterpart over criticism of Rangers claiming he lacks 'dignity and integrity'

Graham Spiers

Sir David Murray, the Rangers chairman, has chosen the occasion of his 20th anniversary in charge of the club to criticise John Reid, his counterpart at Celtic, whom Murray says has “crossed the line” in terms of alleged attacks Reid has made on the Ibrox club.

Murray heavily implied yesterday that Reid had lacked “dignity and integrity” in some of his recent comments about Rangers, even claiming that it was “dangerous” for a politician such as Reid to become an Old Firm chairman.

The Celtic chairman has spoken out about The Famine Song - the latest favoured chant of the Ibrox faithful - claiming that it is “racist” and “vicious”, and has even urged the police to wade in and arrest Rangers supporters under new legislation in Scotland.

Murray, who says Rangers are doing all they can to get the song stamped out, nonetheless believes that Reid has whipped up an orchestrated political campaign over the issue.

“There is an unwritten rule among Old Firm chairmen that you don't criticise Rangers or Celtic, but I do find that this has changed since John Reid arrived,” Murray said. “I did not go out my way to criticise [Artur] Boruc [the Celtic goalkeeper, involved in various incidents including making hand gestures at the Rangers fans]. I did not go out my way to criticise the things that Richard Gough was called over the years. I could go on and on, so I've been disappointed with some of the comments John has made.

“He has taken a few shots at us. We have not responded because there has been an unwritten rule between Rangers and Celtic that you show respect, and I will continue to do that. When you are the chairman of Rangers or Celtic, you have to be very careful. There is a strong argument, especially in the west of Scotland, that for a politician to become a chairman of a football club could be verging on being a bit dangerous.”

Murray claimed that Reid had tried to make unfair capital over The Famine Song - knowing that Rangers could be embarrassed - and that the issue had been wrongly politicised.

“We are not denying that The Famine Song is wrong, but I know that members of his [Reid's] political party encouraged the song to become a public item on the agenda,” Murray said. “I think John has to remember that he's not in the House of Commons now. This is the west of Scotland, the world of Rangers and Celtic, and I think we all have a responsibility to act in a sensible manner.

“I could comment on all sorts of things, such as the recent poppy business at Parkhead [where the fans were invited to clap rather than observe a minute's silence], but that's their business. All you are going to do is start an argument. I like to think this club [Rangers] shows a lot more dignity in many things. Because John Reid says things in his style, it doesn't mean we should follow. We try to do it with a bit of dignity and integrity.”

Reid last night dismissed Murray's comments, claiming that “when it comes to defending the welfare of Celtic, I will continue to comment without fear or favour.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...?Submitted=true

Now I assume that most of this has some spin to it, but for once the corduroy cowboy has been quite objective in his column !

:rangers:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Spiers. But, I have to say for the first time in a very, very long time. I'm actually proud of David Murray!

I can't believe he had the balls to come out with that. It's about fucking time.

From The Times

November 21, 2008

The Ibrox chairman lays into his Celtic counterpart over criticism of Rangers claiming he lacks 'dignity and integrity'

Graham Spiers

Sir David Murray, the Rangers chairman, has chosen the occasion of his 20th anniversary in charge of the club to criticise John Reid, his counterpart at Celtic, whom Murray says has “crossed the line” in terms of alleged attacks Reid has made on the Ibrox club.

Murray heavily implied yesterday that Reid had lacked “dignity and integrity” in some of his recent comments about Rangers, even claiming that it was “dangerous” for a politician such as Reid to become an Old Firm chairman.

The Celtic chairman has spoken out about The Famine Song - the latest favoured chant of the Ibrox faithful - claiming that it is “racist” and “vicious”, and has even urged the police to wade in and arrest Rangers supporters under new legislation in Scotland.

Murray, who says Rangers are doing all they can to get the song stamped out, nonetheless believes that Reid has whipped up an orchestrated political campaign over the issue.

“There is an unwritten rule among Old Firm chairmen that you don't criticise Rangers or Celtic, but I do find that this has changed since John Reid arrived,” Murray said. “I did not go out my way to criticise [Artur] Boruc [the Celtic goalkeeper, involved in various incidents including making hand gestures at the Rangers fans]. I did not go out my way to criticise the things that Richard Gough was called over the years. I could go on and on, so I've been disappointed with some of the comments John has made.

“He has taken a few shots at us. We have not responded because there has been an unwritten rule between Rangers and Celtic that you show respect, and I will continue to do that. When you are the chairman of Rangers or Celtic, you have to be very careful. There is a strong argument, especially in the west of Scotland, that for a politician to become a chairman of a football club could be verging on being a bit dangerous.”

Murray claimed that Reid had tried to make unfair capital over The Famine Song - knowing that Rangers could be embarrassed - and that the issue had been wrongly politicised.

“We are not denying that The Famine Song is wrong, but I know that members of his [Reid's] political party encouraged the song to become a public item on the agenda,” Murray said. “I think John has to remember that he's not in the House of Commons now. This is the west of Scotland, the world of Rangers and Celtic, and I think we all have a responsibility to act in a sensible manner.

“I could comment on all sorts of things, such as the recent poppy business at Parkhead [where the fans were invited to clap rather than observe a minute's silence], but that's their business. All you are going to do is start an argument. I like to think this club [Rangers] shows a lot more dignity in many things. Because John Reid says things in his style, it doesn't mean we should follow. We try to do it with a bit of dignity and integrity.”

Reid last night dismissed Murray's comments, claiming that “when it comes to defending the welfare of Celtic, I will continue to comment without fear or favour.”

Now I assume that most of this has some spin to it, but for once the corduroy cowboy has been quite objective in his column !

Best thing I have ever heard SDM say. We as a club do have more dignity than that.

From The Times

November 21, 2008

Graham Spiers

Best thing I have ever heard SDM say. We as a club do have more dignity than that.

:rangers: :unionflag: we are the people....I think some forget that and lower themselves to argue with the scum.....we are above and beyond them.

What the fuck was 'alleged' about it?

From The Times

November 21, 2008

Graham Spiers

All the good words are Sir David's and don't come from the BBC- there's new stuff in there.

Spiers has been the mouthpiece, which makes me wonder if Murray is using him, the other way round, or they've genuinely buried the hatchet, thus meaning that Spiers will no longer be so critical of us.

For me, whilst it would be good to have Spiers change his tune, I wouldn't want him so close to the chairman.

Nonetheless, he has delivered Murray's words without equivocation or critique, let alone another attack. He has attacked Celtic recently and I don't know if this reflects anything more than a coincidence of timing, in relation to pressure on him. Did he ever get that "Rangers fans' open night" he was after?

i listened to the sdm interview on radio scotland tonight

and i was well impressed

i liked the way he said he could talk about such and such but he wasnt going to

it still got each point across ie the hand clapping on rememberance sunday

very coy mister murray

well done :rangers: :unionflag:

Carefully worded, he never left himself open didnt take the moral high ground and used the poppy debacle as a very good point of recourse. If Reid replies to the poppy debacle he then opens a can of worms which the press will pounce on, he has backed them into a corner. It is a well measured dig that they will struggle to counter, i welcome the ensuing car crash that is John Reid. Can you all please refrain from using the term DOCTOR for this reptile.

This is quite a provocative statement when you read between the lines .... "I could comment on all sorts of things, such as the recent poppy business at Parkhead [where the fans were invited to clap rather than observe a minute's silence], but that's their business" ... Just by highlighting this he IS commenting on it, he is drawing everyones attention to the situation without acutally directly commenting on it.

"Because John Reid says things in his style, it doesn't mean we should follow. We try to do it with a bit of dignity and integrity" .. Again, another very clever comment, basically saying that John Reid has a lower level of integrity by constantly coming out in the press with statements.

While i think the whole article is very positive i think the paragraph quoted above is the highlight & shows the intelligence of SDM by using the Scottish Press.

This is quite a provocative statement when you read between the lines .... "I could comment on all sorts of things, such as the recent poppy business at Parkhead [where the fans were invited to clap rather than observe a minute's silence], but that's their business" ... Just by highlighting this he IS commenting on it, he is drawing everyones attention to the situation without acutally directly commenting on it.

"Because John Reid says things in his style, it doesn't mean we should follow. We try to do it with a bit of dignity and integrity" .. Again, another very clever comment, basically saying that John Reid has a lower level of integrity by constantly coming out in the press with statements.

While i think the whole article is very positive i think the paragraph quoted above is the highlight & shows the intelligence of SDM by using the Scottish Press.

that was what i was trying to say

you worded it better m8

cheers buddie :unionflag:

Everyone was slagging him just months ago for not coming out and slagging John Reid back! His supporters (including me) were deemed hand wringers etc. and now he has come out to say that "it is not the Rangers way" to do things they way the tattie munchers do, there is full support!?!

I don't get it. :unsure:

By direct comparison, have a look at the difference in reporting on the Scotzine site (especially the last para) - I've replied to comments a few times, but they have been deleted, obviously run by a soapdodger:

http://<No links to this website allowed>/blog/?p=2225#more-2225

It is indeed run by a Celtic fan. Stay clear.

Everyone was slagging him just months ago for not coming out and slagging John Reid back! His supporters (including me) were deemed hand wringers etc. and now he has come out to say that "it is not the Rangers way" to do things they way the tattie munchers do, there is full support!?!

You're not meant to "get it," it doesn't stand up to logical analysis. Best thing to do is pat them on the back and say "Yes, he's done well now hasn't he. I agree that the dignified silence was the best approach."

You'll notice, though, that "full support" has some noticeable absences ;)

I don't think its support of SDM at all, but perhaps, just perhaps, you are seeing a wee fightback!

Irrespective of your love or hatred of the man, there seems to be a small glimmer of realisation (the Bain flyer etc) that enough, may indeed be enough !

If as one of the posters suggests, Reid comes out with another reposte, then pandora's box will be well and truly opened and it will be open day on Reid.

Enjoy the moment and imagine how the soapdodgers are shifting nervously in their chairs at the moment !

Are the lights on in the piggery?

(tu)

I feel split on this.

One one hand I'm absolutely delighted to see SDM outright chastising Celtic as a club, and John Reid. He's never done that before, and it's great to see him fight back.

On the other hand, does it not 'go to their level' to get involved in a tit for tat war of words with that rodent Reid?

What SDM says is spot on - we all know it. I just wonder how far this can go. If the 2 chairmen are publicly slagging off each others' club and persons, well, that will be a new direction for the Old Firm rivalry.