PLG speaks fondly of his time at Rangers'

Ibroxblue

I know one thing, he was a disaster in the SPL. He didn,t research his playing situation.

He built a European team to play in the sticks. That was his first and big mistake. But if PLG had still been here, we wouldn,t have gone out of Europe the way we did this year. Only in Europe I grant you , but that was some of the best football seen at Ibrox in years.

We chased our future for a player who is our past.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. I wanted him out. A lot of the things he did I din't like and it could have been totally different had everyone gone about their way differently.

But like you said, unfortunatley we'll never know.

I just wonder how he'd have spent the £35m Walter Smith has had?

I would like to think he would have spent it better, and hand on heart, i believe he would have too. It says a lot for Murray too as i bet PLG was told he had that kind of money to spend but it didn't apear?

Again, we'll never know as PLG has kept his mouth shut which every Rangers fan should tip their hat too.

I know one thing, he was a disaster in the SPL. He didn,t research his playing situation.

He built a European team to play in the sticks. That was his first and big mistake. But if PLG had still been here, we wouldn,t have gone out of Europe the way we did this year. Only in Europe I grant you , but that was some of the best football seen at Ibrox in years.

We chased our future for a player who is our past.

If he had been given time he would have adapted to our game i'm sure.............

When he first joined he set out to play attacking, pretty football. It looked good early on...........but we all know how it ended. I was pretty gutted at the time but who knows what may have happened had we kept him for another season.

Maybe more Sebo's!!! Maybe some superb players............

Not much point worrying about it now i suppose

Young players are unpredictable

Smith, Hutton, Bardsley, Martin, Adam, Svensson and Clement looked good in some games, but failed to produce over a sustained period.

With some careful, more experienced additions and patience ...... Maybe we would be looking at a better Rangers team both on and off the park.

Whats the worse that could have happened? 2nd place for the last 3 years? Out of Europe before the Schools go back? Wasting £30 million on dross?

Going out of the League Cup against First Division opposition? Losing back-to-back matches against Inverness? Wasting nearly £2m on a "striker" who had no technical skills whatsoever?

Walter still has that too look forward too. Losing to St Mirren for the first time in years and blowing £3.5 million on a striker who has no technical ability whatsoever.

When he first joined he set out to play attacking, pretty football. It looked good early on...........but we all know how it ended. I was pretty gutted at the time but who knows what may have happened had we kept him for another season.

Smith, Hutton, Bardsley, Martin, Adam, Svensson and Clement looked good in some games, but failed to produce over a sustained period.

With some careful, more experienced additions and patience ...... Maybe we would be looking at a better Rangers team both on and off the park.

Whats the worse that could have happened? 2nd place for the last 3 years? Out of Europe before the Schools go back? Wasting £30 million on dross?

Going out of the League Cup against First Division opposition? Losing back-to-back matches against Inverness? Wasting nearly £2m on a "striker" who had no technical skills whatsoever?

Walter still has that too look forward too. Losing to St Mirren for the first time in years and blowing £3.5 million on a striker who has no technical ability whatsoever.

Lafferty has already scored the same amount of competitive goals than Sebo in his time here and he hasn't even been played up front.

Although the St. Mirren defeat was bad, it wasn't as bad as losing at home against a lower league team :)

Lafferty has already scored the same amount of competitive goals than Sebo in his time here and he hasn't even been played up front.

Although the St. Mirren defeat was bad, it wasn't as bad as losing at home against a lower league team :)

Yeah but we got put out of Europe with Hearts Feeder team :sadness:

Smith, Hutton, Bardsley, Martin, Adam, Svensson and Clement looked good in some games, but failed to produce over a sustained period.With some careful, more experienced additions and patience ...... Maybe we would be looking at a better Rangers team both on and off the park.

if these players had of produced under le guen over a sustained period then SDM would of flogged them anyway

I have no interest in entering into another PLG debate, but this news doesn't surprise me at all.

As well as the fact he waived his pay off, he also left us a genuine good luck message before the UEFA Cup final. Whatever you may think of him, there's no denying that he's a really decent guy.

clement was his only decent signing the rest were poor, ok walter n ferguson are taking the flak just now but le guen had to go as i remember ferguson was the only player getting pass marks as le guen was facing the le chop o'meter every week in the papers.Totaly under estimated our game and league still had money to spend but chooce not too. IMO he had to go and so will walter if we dont win the league this season2nd best is not good enuf for this once great club

I know but I still believe that Smith has did a better job than Le Guen.

Although has had more time and spent much more money (did get a lot of it from selling players), he has made the league competitive(which PLG nor Eck were doing) and guided us to a European final.

I know but I still believe that Smith has did a better job than Le Guen.

Although has had more time and spent much more money (did get a lot of it from selling players), he has made the league competitive(which PLG nor Eck were doing) and guided us to a European final.

Slightly better as you said, but IMO with the Money and time he had we should be going forwards not backwards.

I don't think we were ever in for Skrtel... why's his name come up so often recently?

I had a news website that I ran during PLG's time and here's the list of the guys we were linked to:

Flavio Roma

Johan Micoud

Libor Sionko

El Hadji Diouf

Ludovic Giuly

Jean-Alain Boumsong

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Steve Mandanda

Fabio Coltorti

Jeremy Toulalan

Francois Modesto

Francois Clerc

Jean-Claude Darcheville

Etienne Didot

Souleymane Diawara

Gregory Tafforeau

Sidney Govou

Kim Kallstrom

Stathis Tavlaridis

Djibril Cisse

Mickael Landreau

Rio Mavuba

Johan Elmander

Marouane Chamakh

Everybody talks about what might of been had we stuck with PLG and punted Boyd, Ferguson & co.

However, baring in mind that PLG took the job, and prepared all his targets on the basis that we would be in The Champions League, I wonder what might have been if Big Eck had managed to actually finish second and not make an absolute fanny of his last season here.

Everybody talks about what might of been had we stuck with PLG and punted Boyd, Ferguson & co.

However, baring in mind that PLG took the job, and prepared all his targets on the basis that we would be in The Champions League, I wonder what might have been if Big Eck had managed to actually finish second and not make an absolute fanny of his last season here.

It would be a bit harsh to try to blame big Eck for Le Guen's failure. Both Le Guen himself and Murray have said that Le Guen did not spend all the transfer money available to him.

PAUL LE GUEN is on his way back to Rangers this weekend.

Ibrox fans can relax, though, he’s only coming for a party.

Gers chief David Murray has invited the five bosses who worked under him to a dinner to celebrate his 20 years at the helm.

Flop Frenchman le Guen might have been in charge for just 200 days and steered the club into one of its darkest periods.

But the Paris St Germain gaffer will jet into Glasgow on Sunday night after his side’s game with Le Mans. He will join Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat and Alex McLeish at the get-together.

Le Guen’s appointment was hailed as a masterstroke when Murray appointed him in 2006. But he quit in January 2007 shortly after stripping Barry Ferguson of the captaincy.

His record across his first ten league games was the worst start by a new Old Firm boss since John Greig’s team in 1978. Yet the ex-Lyon gaffer took over at Ligue 1 side PSG just days later.

As le Guen geared up to return, his successor Smith was joining forces to try and scrap the SPL’s under-21 rule.

Smith and Celtic counterpart Gordon Strachan headed up the inaugural meeting of the SPL think tank at Hampden.

They were joined by Mark McGhee, Craig Levein, John Hughes and Jimmy Calderwood as well as SPL chairman Lex Gold and SFA vice-president Campbell Ogilvie.

One of the main issues was binning the rule that teams must have three under-21s in their match-day squad.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2001863.ece

Is that really worse than Wattie, when you consider Kaunus, lafferty, Edu (who i rate but will never get a game)?

Lose at tannadice and we are in for a battle to even get 2nd place, and would you bet against Utd right now?

I still mainatain if the monster munch brigade hadnt got thier way and SDM had backed PLG properly we wouldnt be in this mess we are in just now.