Fernando Ricksen

RangersJamie52

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite what some might think, we've moved on from Ricksen/McLeish days.

Ricksen was a Dick Advocaat signing and left during PLG's time. In what way have we 'moved on'?

I know that more than you, since I'd seen him play for Alkmaar.

He had no positive contribution under Advocaat.

The same for Le Guen, whom he never played a competitive match for. So that leaves him with the McLeish era, which was up and down.

However, even with Eck's two titles and five cups, Smith has surpassed McLeish's achievements in team building and quality of player, barring when he just took over Advocaat's multi-million Euro team.

McLeish was something of a lucky manager, adopting that squad, but ultimately, Smith is miles ahead.

I think Smith's the best British manager of all time. Ferguson, Stein et al, are in his shadow.

Smith is a decent manager, no more. Best British manager of all time my arse.

Alex McLeish was lucky when his team produced two great seasons? What rubbish. Maybe no great shakes as a manager but credit where credit is due. Certainly didn't get the luck Smith got during his first spell when he took over when the steam roller was already moving, had way more resources than any competitor and Celtic were shite any way. Add to that the club could attract the very best players. Contrast that to the situation AM found himself in. A downsizing Rangers coming to terms with a massive debt and up against a decent Celtic side that could more than match him for resources. He also took over a fragmented squad who were a mile behind Celtic, not a team that was a few points off 3IAR. He still managed to win more trophies in his head to head with Martin O'Neil.

Back on subject. What a ridiculous comment regarding having seen Ricksen at Alkmaar.

Are you telling me I never saw Ricksen before he arrived?

Smith built Souness's team for him. That's why he's had little success since.

Stein won the European cup when the Glasgow Cup contained better teams and Ferguson got lucky with the board who gave him enough time for Sky money and the Scholes/Beckham et al youth team to kick in.

Smith's up there with the best of them.

I'm telling you that it doesn't matter if you've seen every game he's ever played, you can't know who signed him for Rangers any more than me.

Smith showed how good a manager he is when he went down south. Souness also failed. If you think that making silly comments like you do about the Glasgow Cup and Stein helps you're case you are badly mistaken. Actually you sort of make the case for Stein (as a better manager than Smith I mean) as you point out that the opposition he had in Scotland was better than Smith has ever faced. He had luck though. We were nine titles better than them (and the rest of Scotland) when we got our NIAR but I think Stein's gives a bit of a wrong impression of the time.

Ferguson's record is second to none. I sometimes still wish that Norwich had beaten Utd that day, and he'd been sacked, but the fact is he's a great manager by any standard. BTW...it's not all about his record in England. Three titles and a European trophy, at a relatively diddy club, is another reason he's so highly rated.

Smith is not up there with Struth, Wilton or Symon. A Rangers legend because of the trophies he's won but not close to being Britain's best manager, and there are a lot of others in the frame apart from Stein and Ferguson.

i always rated him, and was sad to see him go.

he was brilliant on old firms and didnt duck out of any challenges

You must have missed the time where he bottled it from a 50-50 with Nakamura.

A total plastic hardman.

Ricksen was a Dick Advocaat signing and left during PLG's time. In what way have we 'moved on'?

The same for Le Guen, whom he never played a competitive match for. So that leaves him with the McLeish era, which was up and down.

However, even with Eck's two titles and five cups, Smith has surpassed McLeish's achievements in team building and quality of player, barring when he just took over Advocaat's multi-million Euro team.

McLeish was something of a lucky manager, adopting that squad, but ultimately, Smith is miles ahead.

I think Smith's the best British manager of all time. Ferguson, Stein et al, are in his shadow.

He's not even the best British manager right now. Ferguson, Redknapp, Moyes, O'Neill are all better than him. As for suggesting that he's better than Stein, Shankley, Clough, Paisley - what are you on?

As for Ricksen, a few good games as a DM, but I can't remember a single decent game at RB - so no thanks.

Alex McLeish was lucky when his team produced two great seasons? What rubbish. Maybe no great shakes as a manager but credit where credit is due. Certainly didn't get the luck Smith got during his first spell when he took over when the steam roller was already moving, had way more resources than any competitor and Celtic were shite any way. Add to that the club could attract the very best players. Contrast that to the situation AM found himself in. A downsizing Rangers coming to terms with a massive debt and up against a decent Celtic side that could more than match him for resources. He also took over a fragmented squad who were a mile behind Celtic, not a team that was a few points off 3IAR. He still managed to win more trophies in his head to head with Martin O'Neil.

Back on subject. What a ridiculous comment regarding having seen Ricksen at Alkmaar.

Stein won the European cup when the Glasgow Cup contained better teams and Ferguson got lucky with the board who gave him enough time for Sky money and the Scholes/Beckham et al youth team to kick in.

I'm telling you that it doesn't matter if you've seen every game he's ever played, you can't know who signed him for Rangers any more than me.

Smith showed how good a manager he is when he went down south. Souness also failed. If you think that making silly comments like you do about the Glasgow Cup and Stein helps you're case you are badly mistaken. Actually you sort of make the case for Stein (as a better manager than Smith I mean) as you point out that the opposition he had in Scotland was better than Smith has ever faced. He had luck though. We were nine titles better than them (and the rest of Scotland) when we got our NIAR but I think Stein's gives a bit of a wrong impression of the time.

Ferguson's record is second to none. I sometimes still wish that Norwich had beaten Utd that day, and he'd been sacked, but the fact is he's a great manager by any standard. BTW...it's not all about his record in England. Three titles and a European trophy, at a relatively diddy club, is another reason he's so highly rated.

Smith is not up there with Struth, Wilton or Symon. A Rangers legend because of the trophies he's won but not close to being Britain's best manager, and there are a lot of others in the frame apart from Stein and Ferguson.

Smith never failed at Everton. He kept them up at a time when they were threatened by relegation and Kenwright(?) was selling off his best players from under him.

I doubt many managers have taken a national side 70 or 80 places up the rankings in such a short space of time. From the low of Le Guen to coming within 3 points and one goal from a quadruple including European trophy with a modest squad(inferior to this season's vintage and suffering more and more injuries and dodgy SPL/refereeing decisions), all within 16 months, as well and as 9IAR and getting to within one goal of the European Cup Final 92-93, puts him up there with Mournho.

I trust in Walter and the SPL table will prove me right at the end of the season.

I think he would be great to have back in the team and i think he would fill the right back void quite well.

We can obviously see youngsters will not get a chance so why not briing Ricksen back in January.

We could probably get him cheap as he doesnt get a game much!

Thoughts?

doh What the feck?

:lol:

NO.

i always rated him, and was sad to see him go.

he was brilliant on old firms and didnt duck out of any challenges

You must have missed the time where he bottled it from a 50-50 with Nakamura.

A total plastic hardman.

Or his debut :mutley:

Smith never failed at Everton. He kept them up at a time when they were threatened by relegation and Kenwright(?) was selling off his best players from under him.

I doubt many managers have taken a national side 70 or 80 places up the rankings in such a short space of time. From the low of Le Guen to coming within 3 points and one goal from a quadruple including European trophy with a modest squad(inferior to this season's vintage and suffering more and more injuries and dodgy SPL/refereeing decisions), all within 16 months, as well and as 9IAR and getting to within one goal of the European Cup Final 92-93, puts him up there with Mournho.

I trust in Walter and the SPL table will prove me right at the end of the season.

Yet this managerial genius is still being outfoxed tactically by the likes of Gus Macpherson, Mark Mcghee and Csaba Lazlo.

I think you're fishing. I fail to see how anyone could even consider Walter Smith as one of the all time British greats.

Yet this managerial genius is still being outfoxed tactically by the likes of Gus Macpherson, Mark Mcghee and Csaba Lazlo.

I think you're fishing. I fail to see how anyone could even consider Walter Smith as one of the all time British greats.

I remember Ferguson being "outfoxed" by Kevin Keegan (5-0) and Souness (6-3; when he was literally signing pranksters rather than players.) as well as Jock Stein being "outfoxed" by Willie Ormond, Eddie Turnbull and Ally McLeod. I can't even remember the names of those who "outfoxed" Wenger, Shankly, Clough and all the others.

Every manager loses to inferior sides with inferior managers throughout a season, never mind a career.

No doubt Walter doesn't rate himself so highly, but that's merely a sign of the dignity, modesty and class of the man.

Smith showed he is an unimaginative manager and certainly no great during his time at Everton. Winning the SPL will prove sweet Fanny Adams, that is the point. Winning this two horse race proves nothing on it's own. Look at Strachan. Would rank three Rangers managers above him and claiming he is the best ever British manager is ludicrous.

Smith showed he is an unimaginative manager and certainly no great during his time at Everton. Winning the SPL will prove sweet Fanny Adams, that is the point. Winning this two horse race proves nothing on it's own. Look at Strachan. Would rank three Rangers managers above him and claiming he is the best ever British manager is ludicrous.

Fair enough, mate! (tu)

I disagree, of course, but no probs. (tu)

Sorry it's a no from me (td)

There's a talented footballer in there somewhere, but he just has too many issues that affect him in everyday life.

That is exactly it.

The season he seemed to sort himself out he was good really good in fact, but he goes off the rails more often than not!

Who the hell comes up with this stuff, do they actually pay attention to Rangers and anything that goes on with us? The guy had one very good season with us, was HOPELESS at right back, and bottled it big time when facing Celtic. He chopped down one of our players in a friendly, and has slated us constantly since leaving. The guy was a headcase.

I would sooner see Arthur Numan back.

The wee fanny had the cheek to bad-mouth us in various publications after he left, saying he had moved to a much better team, and a better organised team when going to Russia, also blaming Rangers for his lifestyle when in Glasgow.

He was caught out at right back, hence being moved to midfield where he improved therefore there is no logic in bringing him back to play right back.

Can't blame us for this.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...q=ricksen+zenit

In fairness, you can't trust journalists.

Haha never seen that before, although it does look like a technique used in many of Glasgows bars!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking as a Football Fan and not as a Rangers fan, (and a very knowledgeable Football fan at that) that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard all year and I've heard some garbage.

I'm glad TWWWBK and Briton posted he truth while I was at work, infact...thank f*ck!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking as a Football Fan and not as a Rangers fan, (and a very knowledgeable Football fan at that) that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard all year and I've heard some garbage.

I'm glad TWWWBK and Briton posted he truth while I was at work, infact...thank f*ck!

I must have missed that, when I was reading their posts instead.

Smith is very under-rated. The others are over-rated.

Yet another idiotic suggestion!

Fernando Ricksen was a coward, a mediocre footballer and a complete and utter shitebag. I really do wonder the ambition of some of our fans sometimes.

Season 2008/09 has seen members on RM suggest Soti Kyrgiakos, Zurab Khizanishvili, Peter Lovenkrands, Lee Martin, Craig Moore and now fcuking Fernando Ricksen, along with bringing Graeme Souness back as manager - honestly, what the fcuk?