Fernando Ricksen

RangersJamie52

Yet another idiotic suggestion!

Fernando Ricksen was a coward, a mediocre footballer and a complete and utter shitebag. I really do wonder the ambition of some of our fans sometimes.

Season 2008/09 has seen members on RM suggest Soti Kyrgiakos, Zurab Khizanishvili, Peter Lovenkrands, Lee Martin, Craig Moore and now fcuking Fernando Ricksen, along with bringing Graeme Souness back as manager - honestly, what the fcuk?

:lol:(tu)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fernando Ricksen was a coward, a mediocre footballer and a complete and utter shitebag. I really do wonder the ambition of some of our fans sometimes.

Season 2008/09 has seen members on RM suggest Soti Kyrgiakos, Zurab Khizanishvili, Peter Lovenkrands, Lee Martin, Craig Moore and now fcuking Fernando Ricksen, along with bringing Graeme Souness back as manager - honestly, what the fcuk?

:lol:(tu)

I agree.

I'm not sure there's one of that bunch I'd want back.

Remember they did win a league, though, and they were worse than this squad. Arguably Celtic were better, since they had less Strachan signings. :D

P.S. Would it not be more appropriate to change the thread's heading to "Fernando Ricksen **Un-Wise Suggestion**"? :D

McLeish was something of a lucky manager, adopting that squad, but ultimately, Smith is miles ahead.

I think Smith's the best British manager of all time. Ferguson, Stein et al, are in his shadow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking as a Football Fan and not as a Rangers fan, (and a very knowledgeable Football fan at that) that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard all year and I've heard some garbage.

I'm glad TWWWBK and Briton posted he truth while I was at work, infact...thank f*ck!

I must have missed that, when I was reading their posts instead.

Smith is very under-rated. The others are over-rated.

Yes, you conveniently missed the truth.

Walter Smith is very over-rated and a big myth in that he isn't a quality manager.

McLeish was something of a lucky manager, adopting that squad, but ultimately, Smith is miles ahead.

I think Smith's the best British manager of all time. Ferguson, Stein et al, are in his shadow.

Speaking as a Football Fan and not as a Rangers fan, (and a very knowledgeable Football fan at that) that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard all year and I've heard some garbage.

I'm glad TWWWBK and Briton posted he truth while I was at work, infact...thank f*ck!

In 20yrs time, Smith will be regarded as one of the best managers we've ever had, of that i'm certain. His record at Rangers is better than any other manager, including Struth, Wilton and Symon. No other Rangers manager has won so many trophies in such a short time. And if he's regarded as the best Rangers manager of all time, that puts him right up there with the Fergusons, Cloughs etc.

Yes, you conveniently missed the truth.

Walter Smith is very over-rated and a big myth in that he isn't a quality manager.

You are talking outta your arse again Boab. Why do you (and others) let your personal bias get in the way of the truth? Take 5 minutes to compare Smiths record as Rangers manager against any other manager, then come back and tell us that Smith isn't a quality manager. And I'll call you a liar and a fraud.

In 20yrs time, Smith will be regarded as one of the best managers we've ever had, of that i'm certain. His record at Rangers is better than any other manager, including Struth, Wilton and Symon. No other Rangers manager has won so many trophies in such a short time. And if he's regarded as the best Rangers manager of all time, that puts him right up there with the Fergusons, Cloughs etc.

I don't think Smith is as bad as some have been suggesting, but think about this. Being successful as a Rangers manager doesn't put him up there with Ferguson and Clough. It's a darn sight easier to win domestic trophies with Rangers than it is to win the English league with teams like Derby or Notts Forrest, or European trophies with provincial teams like Aberdeen and, er Notts Forrest. In fact, it's easier to win the English league with Everton than Notts Forrest and Smith didn't exactly get close to that.

if you look back at the threads a few weeks before the uefa cup final , when we still had the league in our grasp - people on here where saying he was the greatest manager of all time and the best Britain has ever produced , how things have changed.

i do think legend when i think of smith - how can you not with all the success he has brought us, but of late i yern for a new manager to freshen up our club but we should give the man the respect he deserves and give him the season to prove us wrong.

but if you stand walter smith toe to toe with alex ferguson - its a no brainer for me alex ferguson is the better manager by a mile.

if you look back at the threads a few weeks before the uefa cup final , when we still had the league in our grasp - people on here where saying he was the greatest manager of all time and the best Britain has ever produced , how things have changed.

i do think legend when i think of smith - how can you not with all the success he has brought us, but of late i yern for a new manager to freshen up our club but we should give the man the respect he deserves and give him the season to prove us wrong.

but if you stand walter smith toe to toe with alex ferguson - its a no brainer for me alex ferguson is the better manager by a mile.

When Ferguson was appointed manager of ManUtd he was given 5yrs to build a team from scratch. Many managers would kill for such a luxury.

That's it you get them telt! :pipe:

i really laugh at up there with ferguson and clough, he is not in the same class.

At the end of the day, dicksen is not welcome back at Ibrox after several outbursts against his former employers....his tackle on Burke (who, at the time was playing really well, and regularly), that added to the fact he isn't getting a game and is not match fit, as well as being an average player...the door is shut to him IMO.

(tu)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Smith will always be regarded as a Rangers legend due to the number of trophies he won but he will never be regarded as a great manager IMO. I don't know how old you are but if you were around during NIAR you must know the circumstances that existed. You always have to take that into account in Scotland. Look at Strachan, would you consider him a better manager than O'Neil because he's won more? Very unlikely. To compare what Smith did, and admittedly he could only beat what was there at the time, with what the likes of Ferguson or Clough did, is mad. I'd rate Jock Wallace above Smith, never mind Struth or Symon.

Smith will always be regarded as a Rangers legend due to the number of trophies he won but he will never be regarded as a great manager IMO. I don't know how old you are but if you were around during NIAR you must know the circumstances that existed. You always have to take that into account in Scotland. Look at Strachan, would you consider him a better manager than O'Neil because he's won more? Very unlikely. To compare what Smith did, and admittedly he could only beat what was there at the time, with what the likes of Ferguson or Clough did, is mad. I'd rate Jock Wallace above Smith, never mind Struth or Symon.

9IAR, 92-93 Euro run within one goal of the European Cup Final, From PLG's position to getting very close to a quadruple, arguably hampered by a modest and heavily injured squad as well as bad refs and dodgy SPL decisions, saving Everton when Kenwright was seeling the best players from under him and taking Scotland 70-80 places up the rankings, beating France which Eck repeated by sticking to the winning formula, all put him right up there for me.

9IAR, 92-93 Euro run within one goal of the European Cup Final, From PLG's position to getting very close to a quadruple, arguably hampered by a modest and heavily injured squad as well as bad refs and dodgy SPL decisions, saving Everton when Kenwright was seeling the best players from under him and taking Scotland 70-80 places up the rankings, beating France which Eck repeated by sticking to the winning formula, all put him right up there for me.

Smith never won 9IAR for a start...he came into a dominant Rangers when three titles were already in the bag and had the run of the roost. He did the business, fair enough, but you can't rank that as a particularly great achievement. Any reasonably skilled manager should have been able to keep that ship on course.

The Euro run in 92/93 was great but we were never 'within one goal of the European Cup Final'. Another over statement that does not help your case. If you take his Euro record overall it is more evidence that he is no great. His teams have also been responsible for some of the most embarrassing European debacles in our history. The UEFA run helped restore some of his credibility there but he followed that up with Kaunus.

Ask Everton fans what they think of Walter Smith as a manager. He was no disaster but showed nothing to suggest he was anything other than a decent manager.

He did restore pride to the Scotland team and take them up the rankings (although tellingly you once again exaggerate) but nothing to indicate greatness. Smith is obviously no mug but at the same time is not an exceptional manager.

Smith never won 9IAR for a start...he came into a dominant Rangers when three titles were already in the bag and had the run of the roost. He did the business, fair enough, but you can't rank that as a particularly great achievement. Any reasonably skilled manager should have been able to keep that ship on course.

A. It was only two.

B. Smith was more responsible for those two than Souness, if you ask Gough or any other members of that squad.

The Euro run in 92/93 was great but we were never 'within one goal of the European Cup Final'. Another over statement that does not help your case. If you take his Euro record overall it is more evidence that he is no great. His teams have also been responsible for some of the most embarrassing European debacles in our history. The UEFA run helped restore some of his credibility there but he followed that up with Kaunus.

Yes we were. One more goal against Marseille and we were in the Final

Effectively we were Semi-Finalists

Ask Everton fans what they think of Walter Smith as a manager. He was no disaster but showed nothing to suggest he was anything other than a decent manager.

I doubt any manager could have bettered him given the conditions.

He did restore pride to the Scotland team and take them up the rankings (although tellingly you once again exaggerate) but nothing to indicate greatness. Smith is obviously no mug but at the same time is not an exceptional manager.

I don't exaggerate. Scotland went up something like 70 places. Granted that a few of those came under McLeish, who continued with Smith's tactics and team.

A. It was only two.

B. Smith was more responsible for those two than Souness, if you ask Gough or any other members of that squad.

C. Yes we were. One more goal against Marseille and we were in the Final

Effectively we were Semi-Finalists

D. I doubt any manager could have bettered him given the conditions.

Really? Moyes did when he replaced smith.

E. I don't exaggerate. Scotland went up something like 70 places. Granted that a few of those came under McLeish, who continued with Smith's tactics and team.

A. Smith had to get a few points when he took over with four games to go, but yes, technically he won it.

B. Souness was the manager. What you say is meaningless.

C. Great run but using the 'one goal from the final' over statement is pointless. I take it you mean if we won in Marseille we would have been in the final? Not so. There was another round of games after that. Actually we failed to beat CSKA at Ibrox, and if Marsailles hadn't won in Bruge, that would have cost us a place in the final. Like I say, great run but many European debacles followed under Smith.

D. Really? Moyes did when he replaced Smith. Fact is Smith was OK at best in England but did nothing to suggest he's a great manager.

E. So now it's not 70-80 places?...you did exaggerate.

A. Smith had to get a few points when he took over with four games to go, but yes, technically he won it.

Get a dictionary if you're struggling. Gough, McCoist et al seem pretty convinced, as was SDM.
C. Great run but using the 'one goal from the final' over statement is pointless. I take it you mean if we won in Marseille we would have been in the final? Not so. There was another round of games after that. Actually we failed to beat CSKA at Ibrox, and if Marsailles hadn't won in Bruge, that would have cost us a place in the final. Like I say, great run but many European debacles followed under Smith.

You've worded that really badly, but you've got your facts wrong.

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

Flag of France Marseille 6 3 3 0 14 4 +10 9

Flag of Scotland Rangers 6 2 4 0 7 5 +2 8

D. Really? Moyes did when he replaced Smith. Fact is Smith was OK at best in England but did nothing to suggest he's a great manager.
I am using more than his record in England, which I would say proved him to be good at the very least.

No. I'm just not certain, but think it was 80+. If it's something like 69, I suspect you'll say, "ha ha, I told you so", which would only be embarrassing for yourself.

Get a dictionary if you're struggling. Gough, McCoist et al seem pretty convinced, as was SDM.

I am using more than his record in England, which I would say proved him to be good at the very least.

No. I'm just not certain, but think it was 80+. If it's something like 69, I suspect you'll say, "ha ha, I told you so", which would only be embarrassing for yourself.

No...all I said was you exaggerated and now you admit you did. Leave it at that.

As for the 92/93 issue. I did not get my facts wrong. Even a win in Marsailles would not have guarenteed a place in the final as that was before the head to head system. We probably would have, only needing a point at home to CSKA in the final group game, but that is not the same thing. The other point I was making that we still had a chance of getting to the final but we failed to beat CSKA. Didn't matter as it turned out as Marsailles won in Bruge. The statement that we were 'one goal away from the final' is false.

How old are you BTW...do you remember the 92/93 CL?

Doesn't matter anyway as Smith's overall European record is evidence that he is not a great manager and certainly not the best British manager in history (or even in Rangers history).

No...all I said was you exaggerated and now you admit you did. Leave it at that.

As for the 92/93 issue. I did not get my facts wrong. Even a win in Marsailles would not have guarenteed a place in the final as that was before the head to head system. We probably would have, only needing a point at home to CSKA in the final group game, but that is not the same thing. The other point I was making that we still had a chance of getting to the final but we failed to beat CSKA. Didn't matter as it turned out as Marsailles won in Bruge. The statement that we were 'one goal away from the final' is false.

How old are you BTW...do you remember the 92/93 CL?

doh

Now you're just compounding your errors.

Start->Programs->Accessories->Calculator

Doesn't matter anyway as Smith's overall European record is evidence that he is not a great manager and certainly not the best British manager in history (or even in Rangers history).
UEFA Cup and effective Champions' League semi-finalists.

Any recent Scottish managers managed that in recent years with "lowly" Scottish clubs, or just the guys with big big Premiership money.