Niguez, my dream debut

Chef

Published: Today

RANGERS hitkid Aaron Niguez was so excited after making his debut he couldn’t remember his dad’s mobile number to let him know how well he’d done.

The on-loan Valencia ace finally made his Gers bow as a sub in Saturday’s 7-1 thrashing of Hamilton.

He set up best pal Nacho Novo for the sixth goal — and admits the experience blew his mind.

So much so that when he came to call dad Jose Boria — who played for Elche in La Liga — he had to look up his number for the first time in his life.

Aaron said: “I’m very happy. It was my first time on the Ibrox pitch and the fans supported me a lot.

“I think I played okay. I played on the left wing, almost scored a goal and I set up Novo’s goal — so for me it was a dream debut.

“The only pity was my parents couldn’t be there to see it.

“After the match there was a get-together to celebrate the victory. I didn’t go because I wanted to go home and think about my debut.

“I tried to call my father but I couldn’t remember his number because I was so excited.

“I had to get my contacts book out to get the number to call him. Then I spoke to my brothers, my mother and my friends.”

Aaron was stunned by the ovation he got from the home support as he stepped out to replace DaMarcus Beasley.

And the 19-year-old loved the fact it was Novo he teed up for goal No 6.

The little striker has been a massive support to his fellow Spaniard since Aaron moved to Scotland in the summer.

The youngster added: “My entrance to the field was spectacular because of the ovation I got from supporters.

“I had goosebumps and felt like there was no way I could let all those people down.

“I wasn’t nervous or worried, because I knew I’d spent time adapting to the Scottish game and I was now one of the team.

“Nacho dedicated his goal to me in the celebrations and I was delighted with that.

“Nacho had always told me to gamble and send in crosses because there would always be people there to finish them off — and if they weren’t then it would be their fault, not mine.

“So I sent the ball in and fortunately Nacho was there to put the ball into the net.

“Afterwards all the coaches and my team-mates congratulated me on my debut.

“Nacho said less at that point, I think he just wanted to stay in the background. But he has helped me so much over these past few months.”

Advertisement

Aaron admitted he had a feeling he would be thrown into the fray as Gers ran riot against sorry Accies.

He added: “It was all very exciting. The coach told me to do some intense warm-ups so I knew I could get on.

“After that Kenny McDowall gave me some instructions and it began to hit home that I was about to go on.

“I know I must continue working hard, but at least the coach knows he can count on me when he wants.

“My debut has served to show the level that I can give in matches of this significance”. Meanwhile, Aaron’s fellow fringe star Maurice Edu last night admitted he is struggling to adapt to the SPL.

Gers splashed out £2.7million in August to land the defensive midfielder from Toronto, but Edu has featured only twice for Walter Smith’s side.

He played 65 minutes in a 2-1 home win against Kilmarnock in September and the full match in the 2-0 Co-op Cup win over Hamilton in October.

The American international was on the bench on Saturday, but failed to appear.

And the 22-year-old last night revealed the SPL is a more difficult place to play than in the MLS for Toronto or the National Collegiate Athletic Association where he starred for the University of Maryland.

Edu said: “I’ve found the SPL to be a lot more physical than both those leagues.

“Though I’ve not been involved in too many games yet, you can see the level of intensity everyone competes with.

“The amount of challenges and tackles are increased and every game is truly a battle.

“Even in training it is more physical as everyone is competing for a spot on the pitch.”

Published: Today

RANGERS hitkid Aaron Niguez was so excited after making his debut he couldn’t remember his dad’s mobile number to let him know how well he’d done.

The on-loan Valencia ace finally made his Gers bow as a sub in Saturday’s 7-1 thrashing of Hamilton.

He set up best pal Nacho Novo for the sixth goal — and admits the experience blew his mind.

So much so that when he came to call dad Jose Boria — who played for Elche in La Liga — he had to look up his number for the first time in his life.

Aaron said: “I’m very happy. It was my first time on the Ibrox pitch and the fans supported me a lot.

“I think I played okay. I played on the left wing, almost scored a goal and I set up Novo’s goal — so for me it was a dream debut.

“The only pity was my parents couldn’t be there to see it.

“After the match there was a get-together to celebrate the victory. I didn’t go because I wanted to go home and think about my debut.

“I tried to call my father but I couldn’t remember his number because I was so excited.

“I had to get my contacts book out to get the number to call him. Then I spoke to my brothers, my mother and my friends.”

Aaron was stunned by the ovation he got from the home support as he stepped out to replace DaMarcus Beasley.

And the 19-year-old loved the fact it was Novo he teed up for goal No 6.

The little striker has been a massive support to his fellow Spaniard since Aaron moved to Scotland in the summer.

The youngster added: “My entrance to the field was spectacular because of the ovation I got from supporters.

“I had goosebumps and felt like there was no way I could let all those people down.

“I wasn’t nervous or worried, because I knew I’d spent time adapting to the Scottish game and I was now one of the team.

“Nacho dedicated his goal to me in the celebrations and I was delighted with that.

“Nacho had always told me to gamble and send in crosses because there would always be people there to finish them off — and if they weren’t then it would be their fault, not mine.

“So I sent the ball in and fortunately Nacho was there to put the ball into the net.

“Afterwards all the coaches and my team-mates congratulated me on my debut.

“Nacho said less at that point, I think he just wanted to stay in the background. But he has helped me so much over these past few months.”

Advertisement

Aaron admitted he had a feeling he would be thrown into the fray as Gers ran riot against sorry Accies.

He added: “It was all very exciting. The coach told me to do some intense warm-ups so I knew I could get on.

“After that Kenny McDowall gave me some instructions and it began to hit home that I was about to go on.

“I know I must continue working hard, but at least the coach knows he can count on me when he wants.

“My debut has served to show the level that I can give in matches of this significance”. Meanwhile, Aaron’s fellow fringe star Maurice Edu last night admitted he is struggling to adapt to the SPL.

Gers splashed out £2.7million in August to land the defensive midfielder from Toronto, but Edu has featured only twice for Walter Smith’s side.

He played 65 minutes in a 2-1 home win against Kilmarnock in September and the full match in the 2-0 Co-op Cup win over Hamilton in October.

The American international was on the bench on Saturday, but failed to appear.

And the 22-year-old last night revealed the SPL is a more difficult place to play than in the MLS for Toronto or the National Collegiate Athletic Association where he starred for the University of Maryland.

Edu said: “I’ve found the SPL to be a lot more physical than both those leagues.

“Though I’ve not been involved in too many games yet, you can see the level of intensity everyone competes with.

“The amount of challenges and tackles are increased and every game is truly a battle.

“Even in training it is more physical as everyone is competing for a spot on the pitch.”

That's a great read.

You can really sense his excitement.

It's great that he shows excitement at his debut, rather than frustration at how long it took. It would be easy for a young lad to be frustrated, but he sounds genuinely grateful for the opportunity.

I like this kid, I hope he does well for us.

I thought Lafferty set up Davis' goal ?

You can just imagine how excited Aaron was :lol:

Lafferty heads it back to Aaron, who miscontrols it, beautifully, into Davis' path. He knew what he was doing.

Good leap from Kyle, need to see more of that.

And because its not the way you were brought up, unless of course this was a different get together

Well done niguez, would love to see you get more match time

It's great that he shows excitement at his debut, rather than frustration at how long it took. It would be easy for a young lad to be frustrated, but he sounds genuinely grateful for the opportunity.

Probably, because unlike us, he is patient, and, also took the time to adapt to a new club, country, type of football, climate etc etc whcih should always have been done. mendes could come straight in, being a seasoned pro, Aaron is just a lad. We are also getting the benefits of a settled player as well. For me, if time hadnt been taken, we could have been in a similar situation to the kid we loanded from Man Yoo, which fortunately we dont look like we are

Probably, because unlike us, he is patient, and, also took the time to adapt to a new club, country, type of football, climate etc etc whcih should always have been done. mendes could come straight in, being a seasoned pro, Aaron is just a lad. We are also getting the benefits of a settled player as well. For me, if time hadnt been taken, we could have been in a similar situation to the kid we loanded from Man Yoo, which fortunately we dont look like we are

Without a doubt.

Patience was always the key with Aaron. I explained his fitness situation on a daily basis to many on here for about 3 or 4 months. For many, the frustration at not seeing him breeded irrationality.

When you look at how some have written off Edu on the basis of two games, waiting until Aaron was 110% ready was the right thing to do.

This bit interests me:

“Nacho had always told me to gamble and send in crosses because there would always be people there to finish them off — and if they weren’t then it would be their fault, not mine."

1) Why is a player telling him this and not the coaching staff. Explains a lot to me.

2) Why does no-one tell Charlie Adam this, or does he mis-interpret "send in crosses" as "send the ball right over the box and out for a shy on the other side"

Great article from the wee man and as previously stated, noone has made this position work so give him a run of 10 games and take it from there.

(tu)

Without a doubt.

Patience was always the key with Aaron. I explained his fitness situation on a daily basis to many on here for about 3 or 4 months. For many, the frustration at not seeing him breeded irrationality.

When you look at how some have written off Edu on the basis of two games, waiting until Aaron was 110% ready was the right thing to do.

<cr> Are we not meant to disagree mate? hehe

Indeed, and, he is not the first, and surely wont be the last. I am all in favour of yong players being given a chance, but, they need to be ready for it

2012 Midfield

Davis____Thomson____Aaron

__________Fleck__________

:lol: I highly doubt it somehow.

EDIT

Could also do this:-

Davis___Furman__Thomson__Aaron

________________Fleck__________

__________Lafferty______________