Former favourites laud Old Firm

Amac9

Stilian Petrov and Carlos Cuellar may have moved on from the Old Firm but their thoughts will be with their former clubs on Saturday lunchtime.

The Aston Villa duo have both experienced the passion of Glasgow derbies and Spanish defender Cuellar thinks the occasion is unparalleled.

"The atmosphere is bigger than any other game in the world," he said.

Bulgarian midfielder Petrov added: "To play in that derby, it's an honour and I'm glad I've done it."

Cuellar played in three Old Firm games during his one season in Scotland, enjoying two home wins at Ibrox but he was sent off for a deliberate handball in a 2-1 loss at Celtic Park.

"When you play against Celtic, it's a big game, a special atmosphere," he added. "You feel that it's a different game."

"Celtic v Rangers or Rangers v Celtic is bigger than Real Madrid v Barcelona or Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid."

Petrov left Celtic two seasons before Cuellar's summer move to Villa Park.

However, the 29-year-old still has fond memories of his matches against Rangers.

"It's one of the oldest derbies in the world and when I went to Celtic, everybody was saying how intense it was, for the fans, for the players and I felt that straight away," he said.

"It's incredible because every fan and every player is waiting for this game."

Petrov played in 32 Old Firm derbies during his seven year spell in Glasgow, scoring five goals.

"When you score in that game, it's great and you're straight into the memories of every fan because you scored in an Old Firm game," he added.

"It's two big clubs in one city and it's very hard to not be recognised by fans, Celtic fans or Rangers fans, and everybody talks about the game.

"The atmosphere is just incredible at Ibrox and Celtic Park and when you have these two teams meeting, it's even better.

"If you lose your winning mentality, your concentration, then you're going to find yourself (finishing) second and that's not good enough.

"I'll go for 1-0 to Celtic, it'll be a tough game."

When asked for a prediction, Cuellar was very specific, saying: "Rangers (will win) 3-1. Nacho Novo, Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd (will score)."

Hope he's right.

Like loads of people I was sorry to see Cuellar leave, but now he's finding that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

As so many other players have also found out.

Like loads of people I was sorry to see Cuellar leave, but now he's finding that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

If they beat Arsenal in the next game, Cuellar's side will be odds on to replace the Gunners in the top four this year.

That would be the first time in yonks that's happened.

I personally wouldn't say he's doing too badly!

If they beat Arsenal in the next game, Cuellar's side will be odds on to replace the Gunners in the top four this year.

Puting it that way, he's doing ok :lol: I'm sure I read on here he was'nt finding life easy, thats what I was thinking.

Puting it that way, he's doing ok :lol: I'm sure I read on here he was'nt finding life easy, thats what I was thinking.

He doesn't look like he's enjoying it Coop, I make you right on that one.

His body language and overall expression/attitude seems a bit different.

No hard feelings against Cuellar, id go for a 3 - 1 win :crabclaus:

(tu)

Why people hate a player for going to what some regard as the best league in the world (let's face it, it is a slightly better league than the SPL) amazes me.

Carlos did a great job for us while he was here, and I wish him all the best.

Also, 3-1 would do me nicely! :D

No hard feelings against Cuellar, id go for a 3 - 1 win :crabclaus:

(tu)

Why people hate a player for going to what some regard as the best league in the world (let's face it, it is a slightly better league than the SPL) amazes me.

Carlos did a great job for us while he was here, and I wish him all the best.

Also, 3-1 would do me nicely! :D

Never a truer word spoken.

guys, your missing the point here- i dont think people dislike cuellar because he left to join the premiership...its the fact that he kept feeding bullshit, saying he wanted to stay a ger and he was happy blah blah blah...in the end, it was garbage and he woulda been better keeping his mouth shut