Jewell resigns from Derby

Danny

Paul Jewell has resigned as manager of Championship outfit Derby County.

The decision follows Sunday's 1-0 home defeat by Ipswich, which was Jewell's 50th game in charge of the Rams.

Jewell, 44, joined Derby in November 2007 and has led them to a Carling Cup semi-final with Manchester United but the Rams are now 18th in the table.

A statement said Jewell "feels he is no longer in a position to take the club forward" and assistant boss Chris Hutchings will take temporary charge.

Derby failed to win a match in the Premier League last season after Jewell took over as manager and have won seven of their 26 Championship fixtures so far this season.

Hutchings will be at the helm for Saturday's FA Cup third round tie at Forest Green Rovers and that big clash with United in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi at Pride Park on 7 January.

Derby chairman of football Adam Pearson told BBC Radio Derby that the club had not put any pressure to quit on Jewell, who arrived at Pride Park after six months out of the game following his departure as boss of Wigan Athletic.

"It was probably one result too far for Paul," said Pearson. "He came to see me after the game and said that he felt it just wasn't working out and didn't want to club to suffer as a result.

"He just feels that the club needs a fresh impetus and a new direction.

"So we agreed a deal to go our separate ways, which is something entirely private between the club and Paul."

A complete and total prick. I despise this man. And good to see him suffer some misfortune :)

A fat, useless arrogant b*stard of a man.

The sad thing is, he'll find a job no bother. He and Iain Dowie always manage to wangle their way into a new job.

I don't mind Iain Dowie though, he's a Bluenose. :rangers:

Jewell's just a bottler who keeps quitting jobs when it gets too much for him.

A fat, useless arrogant b*stard of a man.

The sad thing is, he'll find a job no bother. He and Iain Dowie always manage to wangle their way into a new job.

I don't mind Iain Dowie though, he's a Bluenose. :rangers:

Jewell's just a bottler who keeps quitting jobs when it gets too much for him.

Might be a bluenose but he's a shite manager.

And to think they sacked Billy Davies for so much less!!!!

Billy Davies, while not a great manager by any means, was sacked for being successful too early. Got them promoted, they gave him fuck all money, sacked him then told Jewell no pressure they were preparing for next year in the championship anyway. <_<

There are RAMpant rumours that Paul Jewell is a cunt.

Good I don't mind Derby so hopefully they can get in someone decent.

I'm worried because the main name being linked with it is Nigel Clough who is doing a brilliant job at my favourite English team Burton Albion.

He's knocked back offers from league clubs before, also don't think he'd leave when they're top of the league and looking good to finally get into the football league.

Plus as a Forest boy he might not want to go to Derby.

I'm worried because the main name being linked with it is Nigel Clough who is doing a brilliant job at my favourite English team Burton Albion.

He's knocked back offers from league clubs before, also don't think he'd leave when they're top of the league and looking good to finally get into the football league.

They've got the connection with his old man though haven't they? Probably the only person who Derby and Forest fans will ever love equally. Fingers crossed he sticks with the Brewers, now 10 points clear. Mind you Forest need a boss too!!

They've got the connection with his old man though haven't they? Probably the only person who Derby and Forest fans will ever love equally. Fingers crossed he sticks with the Brewers, now 10 points clear. Mind you Forest need a boss too!!

I know, but his da never played for either of them. Nigel spent most of his career at Forest, won his only medals and England caps there.

Hopefully Jewell doesn't now get the Forest job.