Sir Tom Hunter

rangersross

I was on his wikipedia article (as wikipedia can be very unreliable this topic might be completely redundant) and saw this:

"By April 2007, Hunter was reportedly the first ever home-grown billionaire in Scotland. He is currently the richest individual in Scotland, with wealth was recently estimated at £1.05 billion, and is currently the owner of Britain's largest garden centre chain - Wyevale Garden Centres.

Hunter tried, unsuccessfully, to take over Rangers Football Club Ltd. on two occasions. Both rejected by the current Chairman, Sir David Murray.

I wasn't actually aware of these attempted takeovers (if the article is accurate) and was just wondering if anyone could fill in a few blanks, like: when were these attempted takeovers and why weren't they successfull? Or just any additional information.

(I copied the upper paragraph because it seemed strange the richest man in Scotland couldn't persuade Murray to sell)

I was on his wikipedia article (as wikipedia can be very unreliable this topic might be completely redundant) and saw this:

"By April 2007, Hunter was reportedly the first ever home-grown billionaire in Scotland. He is currently the richest individual in Scotland, with wealth was recently estimated at £1.05 billion, and is currently the owner of Britain's largest garden centre chain - Wyevale Garden Centres.

Hunter tried, unsuccessfully, to take over Rangers Football Club Ltd. on two occasions. Both rejected by the current Chairman, Sir David Murray.

I wasn't actually aware of these attempted takeovers (if the article is accurate) and was just wondering if anyone could fill in a few blanks, like: when were these attempted takeovers and why weren't they successfull? Or just any additional information.

(I copied the upper paragraph because it seemed strange the richest man in Scotland couldn't persuade Murray to sell)

As far as I know he has said that he has no interest in putting money into scottish football, I do not believe that he has ever made an approach to buy or invest in the club. He is a pretty astute businessman after all.

One of Sir Tom Hunters companies USC has just went into Administration.

I doubt he or anybody else the now, is willing to buy us :(

You're probably right, I wonder if it might have been Hunter who met with Murray in London recently to buy the club only for Murray to pull out at the last minute...

I seem to remember a long time ago when he was asked the question, his reply was something like "I'd have to be mad to subject my family to all the related grief" by that i presume he would have no interest at the time.

As far as i am aware he tried to invest some serious money during the 9-in-a-row years. He wanted to have a say in how the money was invested though and Murray told him "It's my club so i decide where the money goes."

Needless to say he didn't invest and the two men haven't been on the best of terms since then. No idea when he was supposed to have made a second attempted investment though.

Be under know illusions though, there is no way that he will invest in Rangers now though, especialy after USC went under. No businessman in their right mind will want to buy Rangers at the moment.

nobody's going to take rangers over now lads

If this (the wikipedia article) is accurate:

It's more a case of 'what have we missed out on' than wishfull thinking. If this deal had gone ahead we may have been far better eqipped to handle this mass economic downturn, now however, as a result of the same downturn it is likely we won't find new investment for a long time.

Hunter's loyalties lie with the Hibees so unlikely he would bid for Rangers, and if he did this could explain why it was knocked back as SDM has always said he will only sell to someone who has rangers interest at heart and can take the club forward.

Hunter's loyalties lie with the Hibees so unlikely he would bid for Rangers, and if he did this could explain why it was knocked back as SDM has always said he will only sell to someone who has rangers interest at heart and can take the club forward.

Dont know who told ye Hunter was a hibee but its a load of nonsense mate, as is the bit about Murray knocking him bk for not having rangers interests at heart if he made a bid.

Hunter was ready to invest £12 million in the club a few years back and when he asked the mint how much say he would get for his cash Murray basically told him "none at all, i run the show", So he took his money elsewere.

As far as i am aware he tried to invest some serious money during the 9-in-a-row years. He wanted to have a say in how the money was invested though and Murray told him "It's my club so i decide where the money goes."

Needless to say he didn't invest and the two men haven't been on the best of terms since then. No idea when he was supposed to have made a second attempted investment though.

Be under know illusions though, there is no way that he will invest in Rangers now though, especialy after USC went under. No businessman in their right mind will want to buy Rangers at the moment.

Did Hunter not own JJB at the time we signed the deal with them?

i dont belive murray wants to sell rangers he's to busy sucking every last penny out of the club and into his pocket and who would buy rangers what is left to buy? retail ,catering ,car parking ,murray park if someone bought rangers tonight what would they actually get would they get the whole package?

Murray was an Airdrie fan, so that’s that theory out the proverbial window

You thinking about Sir Tom Farmer mate?

Heres a bit about Sir Tom farmer "A devout Roman Catholic and philanthropist, he was made a Knight of St. Gregory, the highest honour that the Catholic church can bestow on a layman."

Its always Budget tyres for me.

You thinking about Sir Tom Farmer mate?

Heres a bit about Sir Tom farmer "A devout Roman Catholic and philanthropist, he was made a Knight of St. Gregory, the highest honour that the Catholic church can bestow on a layman."

Its always Budget tyres for me.

absolutely - my mistake was Farmer I was thinking of. Sorry

Nae chance of hunter gettin involved with Rangers now, the stroke he's pulled with his stores must mean he's in trouble business wise. He's wiped out all his debt and left a lot of smaller companies in the mire that he owed money to ! :sherlock: