Are we in danger of running out of cash?

Bluedell

I posted on another site info I was given by two old and trusted friends ,that Rangers had through Willie MacKay notified clubs in England that EVERY first team player was available for transfer.

After this was posted for two days I was phoned and asked to get it removed as one of my friends was gettin serious grief about thi info being in the public domain , it also transpires that certain journalists know about this and are debating whether to run the story now or wait till the bigger picture emerges , a picture that aint going to look rosey for us

I thought Wullie McKay was still banned from operating in England after the Benjani scandal <_<

Nope he recieved a suspended sentence and has also been appointed to over see all Newcastle's transfer business , surprise

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted on another site info I was given by two old and trusted friends ,that Rangers had through Willie MacKay notified clubs in England that EVERY first team player was available for transfer.

After this was posted for two days I was phoned and asked to get it removed as one of my friends was gettin serious grief about thi info being in the public domain , it also transpires that certain journalists know about this and are debating whether to run the story now or wait till the bigger picture emerges , a picture that aint going to look rosey for us

I saw your post but hadn't realised we that had actively announced that every player was for sale. Frightening stuff.

I saw your post but hadn't realised we that had actively announced that every player was for sale. Frightening stuff.

The way Murray can word that though is nothing we haven't heard before.

I thought Wullie McKay was still banned from operating in England after the Benjani scandal <_<

Nope he recieved a suspended sentence and has also been appointed to over see all Newcastle's transfer business , surprise

It's all fitting into place now.

Is Bougherra agent not Willie McKay? :unsure:

No, Charles Collymore.

No, Charles Collymore.

Cool (tu)

All this does is serve to highlight our biggest failing as a club, our youth system. It's not been fit for purpose despite having the best facility which only goes to prove bricks and mortar are the most insignificant part of your youth system.

Bluedell both friends ( neither know the other so this was a bit frightening ) gave the same/simillar reason that the banks were putting the squeeze on , not Rangers , but MIH , dont have a clue if this is correct but nothing Walter has said has encouraged me to believe otherwise , maybe the end game is approaching after all and maybe quicker than we all thought

Bluedell both friends ( neither know the other so this was a bit frightening ) gave the same/simillar reason that the banks were putting the squeeze on , not Rangers , but MIH , dont have a clue if this is correct but nothing Walter has said has encouraged me to believe otherwise , maybe the end game is approaching after all and maybe quicker than we all thought

It's even more concerning if it's MIH as that could have unseen implications and we don't have them to bail us out, but our finances are relatively self-contained so I don't instantly see how Rangers getting cash in helps MIH. However, as you say, the end game could be approaching soon.

It is all rather worrying BlueDell and just serves to prove that Murray will be desperately looking to offload alot of players this January, regardless of their importance to the squad.

What happens if we reach our overdraft limit though mate? Will the Administrators be called in?

Not really much point in that since that would mean no Champions League money next season ... and as a club we continue to move in ever decreasing circles.

willie Mackay is acting on behalf of players that he doesn't represent or he isjust tellign people we are willing to sell anyone.

Both sound very unlikely

Also journalists sitting on a story to wait for facts....i've heard it all now....... <_<

I know he charged for the privilege, easy money for him. I wonder why he would change it as it doesn't seem like that much money to absorb into MIH.

Two reasons that I can see. Firstly it allows Rangers to be a bit more self-contained in respect of financing, and if something goes tits up then it's Rangers assets that would be on the line.

Secondly I get the feeling he's a bit touchy about the alleged money that he makes from the club and has been trying to reduce the interaction between the club and other Murray companies. It is quite noticable that the value of services supplied by Murray companies have fallen for the last few years.

I don’t think he is touchy about making the money, I think he is touchy about it being misrepresented.

I think he used Rangers to start to help start these businesses up, it may never have been his intention to supply services to the club in the long term

fact is we need to win the league this season as CL football thro' qualification would be arduous and certainly not guaranteed, to sell our best players would leave the league bid in tatters and just hand the micks another £15M jackpot, it is a viscious circle and it needs to stop otherwise it will be the same for years to come.

Dunno about that but Mr William Mackay must make some amount of money when you see the amount of money it costs to keep a racehorse in training-He has loads of them.It is approx £200-280 per week + vets fees, entry fees £90-200 per race, 30p per mile transport costs to & from tracks, jockey fees @£100 a ride + gallop fees of around £75 per month.

Not sure how many he has but his name keeps cropping up on the all weather & he paid £125000 for ONE horse not long ago & spent over £200,000 at the Tattersalls sale.

22 Feckin Horses-tho he did win over half a million in prizemoney in 2006

Do you know what is really interesting? How many posters do you think have read this thread and then gone into the Boyd thread and slated Murray for letting him leave?

I don't often have sympathy for the man but for those of us who can see the big picture there isn't much else Murray can do. If he doesn't sell our assets and we fail to qualify for the Champions League next season the club is as good as bust. Sacrifices have to be made, it is all well and good blaming people for the situation we are in but we also need to realise that the only way out of trouble is through selling.

There will certainly be much more of that to come.

We had around £4.5m in the bank at 30th June and an unused £15m credit facility (overdraft), but what do we have now?

The £15m credit facility is reviewed each November. I can't see HBOS having agreed to increase it given their current problems, and if they had decreased it then we would be in real trouble so I have to assume that it remained at the same level.

If we look at the 2007 accounts as a base (being more representative of this year than 2008) it can be seen that we have outgoings of around £40m for the year. The wages of the squad appear to have increased so let's say it's now £44m. We get our season ticket cash in largely in May and June so let's say we get in around another £20m of income during the year.

We got cash in for Cuellar but probably spent more in terms of cashflow on Mendes, Davis and Edu, but to offset that we have some Hutton cash to come in and £1m of a loan repayment to make, so for simplicity let's assume that they all net off to zero.

It therefore appears that we an average of £2m cash per month going out of the club (44m - 20m = £24m for the year or £2m per month).

We have therefore £12m of cash going out of the club up to the end of December which means that we have used £7.5m of the credit facility and have a remaining £7.5m, or around 4 months of cash left until we run out.

Our season ticket money will start coming in during May and should keep us going then, but this shows that we have absolutely no cash available to spend on transfers in the transfer window, and we are down to our bare bones in respect of cashflow.

Non-qualification for next season's CL could have severe consequences.

No, we are going to run out of players first

Do you know what is really interesting? How many posters do you think have read this thread and then gone into the Boyd thread and slated Murray for letting him leave?

I don't often have sympathy for the man but for those of us who can see the big picture there isn't much else Murray can do. If he doesn't sell our assets and we fail to qualify for the Champions League next season the club is as good as bust. Sacrifices have to be made, it is all well and good blaming people for the situation we are in but we also need to realise that the only way out of trouble is through selling.

Its a fair point, but, at the same time, if we sell all our assets, those are the players that we need to qualify, the time to sell would be IF we didnt qualify, surely doing it now decreases the chances of qualifying?

The 2nd part being, easier to sell them if we have to in the summer, than to have to go out and buy a team capable of competing if we DO qualify

3mill for Boyd

2mill for Fergie

5mill for Shagger

total = 10mill (all realistic figures?)

would that not tide us over?

ready replacements for all 3 in Lafferty, Edu, Alexander

I could live with those 3 sales over Mendes, Magis, Davis

Its a fair point, but, at the same time, if we sell all our assets, those are the players that we need to qualify, the time to sell would be IF we didnt qualify, surely doing it now decreases the chances of qualifying?

The 2nd part being, easier to sell them if we have to in the summer, than to have to go out and buy a team capable of competing if we DO qualify

It is because of our heavy spending and not qualifying this season that has led to us having to sell our players. If we don't recoup those losses the debt is only going to increase. If we take the gamble of not selling our stars and then not qualify next season there won't be time to sell players after that.

It would be catastrophic.

It is because of our heavy spending and not qualifying this season that has led to us having to sell our players. If we don't recoup those losses the debt is only going to increase. If we take the gamble of not selling our stars and then not qualify next season there won't be time to sell players after that.

It would be catastrophic.

So, should we sell off our best players now, and take the defeatist approach, or, supremely confident appraoch really, which means going into qualifers (I am assuming that after we strip the squad, it will be a team of McCulloch and Dailly and the like which will not win the league) with a shit team hoping to get through?

I would rather take the risk and give us the best chance of both. Win the league, stright to the group stages, nothing to worry about, finish 2nd, then, all summer to adjust the squad