My question to you is... Do you understand?

dummiesoot

Ive supported Rangers my whole life, cried when we got into the Eufa final, and threw a total berky when we lost to Kaunas. I am very passionate about the club. but im only 22.

I am a younger (modern?) bear and I dont really take much to do with the religious/political side of things which I feel (I may be wrong) you may be associating with the traditional fans.

If other Rangers fans want to follow such things along with Rangers then that is their decision, I would never say thats wrong because if thats how they have been brought up and its what they believe in then who am I to tell them they are wrong. Its just not the way I have been brought up personally, but I understand the fact I love Rangers Football Club.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen and also written a lot on the 'modern' bear, but do you have the same passion as Minstral, Manticore et al tell ius please because all we read is that the 'traditional bears' have got it wrong. I no longer go to the games in any regular way, but believe me that I have had numerous fights with the missus because I am cursing at the radio or at the telly when The Rangers are on and she can't understand where it comes from... all i can say is you ain't a bear you'll never understand.

All of the problems that Rangers have on and off the pitch relate to one thing:

The Chairman and owner of the club is NOT a traditional Rangers fan and, as such, does not understand.

He has become a Rangers fan only because he seen the club as a viable investment and had no option other than to become a Rangers fan.

Remember he tried to buy Ayr Utd before Rangers, that shows how much of a fan he was.

He has never queued for hours, wasting days in the process, simply to buy a ticket for a big game or bunked off school on a Wednesday afternoon in order to watch Rangers up at Aberdeen.

Since when has anyone made money from running a football team? lol

I have seen and also written a lot on the 'modern' bear, but do you have the same passion as Minstral, Manticore et al tell ius please because all we read is that the 'traditional bears' have got it wrong. I no longer go to the games in any regular way, but believe me that I have had numerous fights with the missus because I am cursing at the radio or at the telly when The Rangers are on and she can't understand where it comes from... all i can say is you ain't a bear you'll never understand.

The Chairman and owner of the club is NOT a traditional Rangers fan and, as such, does not understand.

He has become a Rangers fan only because he seen the club as a viable investment and had no option other than to become a Rangers fan.

Remember he tried to buy Ayr Utd before Rangers, that shows how much of a fan he was.

He has never queued for hours, wasting days in the process, simply to buy a ticket for a big game or bunked off school on a Wednesday afternoon in order to watch Rangers up at Aberdeen.

Fergus McCann?

The thing is, do the traditionalist understand that different bears love the Rangers for diferent reasons? And do the realise that we are all Rangers fans, regardless of whether we believe in the religious and political ties of the past?

I am a 'Modern' bear - I understand completely!

You dont have to be a 'traditionalist' to love Rangers (But as a 'Modern' Bear on here you sometimes need a thick skin!!)

You can change your wife - many do, but do you EVER hear of anyone changing allegience to their team - Nope!

For those who dont think you can be modern, like SDM and Smith and still love Rangers I say "Get Stuffed"!

You dont have to be a 'traditionalist' to love Rangers (But as a 'Modern' Bear on here you sometimes need a thick skin!!)

You can change your wife - many do, but do you EVER hear of anyone changing allegience to their team - Nope!

For those who dont think you can be modern, like SDM and Smith and still love Rangers I say "Get Stuffed"!

Thats nice

Thats pish ! :sherlock:

Thats pish ! :sherlock:

No sir, it is true - and failure to uinderstand and accept that argument is one of our supports main problems right now

Think it's the lack of kids going down on the bus nowadays. I started going when i was 9, on the bus with a mate every home game and the few aways i could afford. Lads on the bus taught me everything, songs, history, the lot.

What i hate now is the people who come up to me and talk about rangers and tbh they don't have a fuckin clue. They haven't been to a game in fuckin years and the only way they keep up to date with the Gers is from the back of the star or sun when they can be arsed to find a 20p.

Nothing but glory hunters.

This year i took a break from constantly going to games. I miss it bad but i simply just couldn't afford it this year.

Anyone who comes up with these names such as ,murrayite, tradionalist, modern fan is an arse as far as i am concerned...why try to divide the support ?

I've been going for 25 years, travelled round europe, still have my season ticket although Ibrox is now a flight away.what does that make me ? What a load of old pish.....

Fergus McCann?

Good example but I expect that Murray has made even more.

Rangers FC have built up considerable debts and been financially mismanaged throughout Murray's tenure to the extent that we are in, who knows how serious, financial difficulties again

During the same period, Murray's personal wealth and profile have magnified, whilst he has also obtained a Knighthood.

Whilst he was undoubtedly a rich man when he took over at Ibrox I very much doubt that this would have happened to such an extent without his involvement at Ibrox.

Noone knows for sure how much he has also made over the years from Rangers related activity during his tenure. The steel beam, the catering, Edmiston House etc etc.

The breathtaking arrogance that some show is quite staggering. No one has the right to say they understand anything better than another Rangers supporter. We are a broad church and the sooner some realised that the better.

I have a close friend, he went to an RC primary and secondary, he was one of only 2 Rangers fans in his entire school, he has been Rangers daft since he was 6 years old, he took more kickings at school over the team he supported than all the rest of us put together. He is a season ticket holder and travels on his local supporters bus to the games. He is a Roman Catholic by birth, was christened, had first communion, confirmation (in a Rangers tartan kilt btw) and has recently got engaged to another RC and they will be married in a Catholic church. You will not meet a bigger Rangers fan than this guy.

Where does he fit into your neat wee boxes?

If you must pigeon hole our support why not do it right and call them dinosaurs and evolutionists. I'm with Darwin by the way, we are the people. And just remember what happened to the dinosaurs.

The breathtaking arrogance that some show is quite staggering. No one has the right to say they understand anything better than another Rangers supporter. We are a broad church and the sooner some realised that the better.

I have a close friend, he went to an RC primary and secondary, he was one of only 2 Rangers fans in his entire school, he has been Rangers daft since he was 6 years old, he took more kickings at school over the team he supported than all the rest of us put together. He is a season ticket holder and travels on his local supporters bus to the games. He is a Roman Catholic by birth, was christened, had first communion, confirmation (in a Rangers tartan kilt btw) and has recently got engaged to another RC and they will be married in a Catholic church. You will not meet a bigger Rangers fan than this guy.

If you must pigeon hole our support why not do it right and call them dinosaurs and evolutionists. I'm with Darwin by the way, we are the people. And just remember what happened to the dinosaurs.

they became the biggest predators in the world :lol:

:thumbup: for the post

I don't like the generalisations that are involved in the question in the original post.

Do we all support Rangers? Yes.

Are we all the same? No.

Can we generalise further? Not really imo.

I'm in my 40s now and have supported the Gers all my life. But, never, at any stage, when I was with other Rangers fans, did we EVER argue about/discuss who was the better/more passionate/more loyal fan. It simply never came up. Even at primary school we never competed about such things. All that mattered was we supported the same team. It didn't matter about your age, colour, class, wealth, nationality, whatever -when you stepped into Ibrox EVERYBODY was supporting the Rangers team, and that was all that mattered, you belonged and were accepted on that basis alone. But now for some it aint enough that you are a Rangers fan - they want to know what kind of Rangers fan are you...? I personally can't be doing with it.

Undoubtedly he knows and respects the origins of the club and a great many of their fans, wihout judging them. As I have never seen a Rangers fans that holds a hatred for catholics as a group (although I am sure they might exst, I have never met them).

Spending hours running the Rangers section of Swedish sports site SvenskaFans.com, despite the Scum coming over for potshots shouting or spamming insults every other day, potshotting them back, trying to keep my temper so as not to break Swedish law in the process ;). Writing pre-match reports, match reports, news items every time anything pops up, keeping up with fans and general Joes that wants to know how to buy tickets.

Sitting half an hour before every game trying desperately to get a descent stream so that I can watch the game, cursing that the stream won't work properly, watching the broken stream and alt-tabbing to the Rangers website live report and the current match thread om RM.

Explaining time and time again to people I meet that Celtic are only popular in Sweden because of Henrik Larsson, but that Rangers is the club with the traditions and the top record and trophy section of the world, and actually the stronger Swedish connection of Scottish clubs (Joachim Bjorklund, Örjan Persson, Robert Prytz, Karl Svensson, Jonas Thern, Lee Baxter), but that basically it's as simple as you're either a Rangers supporter or you're not.

Being happy I now attend the Uni, so that I can save grants and loans and actually go see Rangers live.

Yes, I believe I understand.

a

Crackin post. Must be easy for swedes to support Celtic through the Larrsson connection. Credit to you

Sorry I am certainly no Murray apologist but to suggest he has made money out of Rangers is just laughable

I'm afraid that shows your naivety. Please explain to me how it is laughable?

Contrarily, IMO to suggest he has not is laughable, particularly when you consider how much he has made indirectly through Rangers due to his position as owner of one of the biggest, most popular clubs in the world.

Indeed, do you think most of us would ever have heard of Murray if it wasn't for his involvment at Ibrox?

What is wrong with the chairman making money out the club as long as it’s not at the clubs expense ?

Nothing but noone knows for sure what he has made at the club's expense.

What I do find unacceptable is that he has jeapordised the future of our club by financially mismanaging it whilst his own personal wealth has grown significantly.

As custodian, his main objective is to ensure that we are run on a prudent basis.

I don't like the generalisations that are involved in the question in the original post.

Do we all support Rangers? Yes.

Are we all the same? No.

Can we generalise further? Not really imo.

I'm in my 40s now and have supported the Gers all my life. But, never, at any stage, when I was with other Rangers fans, did we EVER argue about/discuss who was the better/more passionate/more loyal fan. It simply never came up. Even at primary school we never competed about such things. All that mattered was we supported the same team. It didn't matter about your age, colour, class, wealth, nationality, whatever -when you stepped into Ibrox EVERYBODY was supporting the Rangers team, and that was all that mattered, you belonged and were accepted on that basis alone. But now for some it aint enough that you are a Rangers fan - they want to know what kind of Rangers fan are you...? I personally can't be doing with it.

yellow, I honestly think that the traditionalists see the world changing and they feel threatened, so they are come up with terms like, "We are under attack" and they create these labels for the support, gradually narrowing down the acceptable parameters for their definition of a true Rangers fan

Personally, I just care about the football

I have been supporting the team since I was 7 yr old - 1954. Still watch every game and as you know issue prematch analysis and match reports.

Whether you are young, middle aged, older, if you have a love for Rangers and support them then its in your blood.

Bears can have differences in their viewpoints. Pro or anti Murray, Walter, religion, etc. We are all different. The glue that bonds is simple - the love of Rangers FC.