Carling to drop sponsorship

Brewers Carling are ready to turn off the tap on their multi-million pound shirt sponsorship of the Old Firm.

Sportsmail understands they will end their seven-year association with the big two when their current contract concludes next season.

In the latest sign of the economic depression hitting the Scottish game, both clubs will now try to fill a £2million-per-season sponsorship gap.

The Old Firm won’t be able to command the same fees as they enjoyed before — and are looking at a major ‘hit’ in terms of sponsorship revenue.

Telephone company T-Mobile, who were another joint Old Firm sponsor, have already pulled out of football as clubs wrestle with all manner of problems attracting advertisers.

Carling will have invested £30m in the Old Firm by the time their contract expires in 2010.

The global recession has forced their hand, but they are also believed to be calling time on a battle to establish themselves against Scottish firms like Tennent’s.

Their decision will end a long run of dual sponsorship for the Glasgow giants, with NTL having preceded Carling as joint shirt sponsors.

Carling’s parent company, Coors,signed an £18m deal with the Old Firm in the summer of 2005 which guaranteed almost £2m per season for each club.

The previous deal had been worth £12m.

It is crucial cash for the Glasgow clubs, who are lagging behind English clubs and European giants in terms of TV revenue.

In April last year, Carling were forced to take their name off Celtic and Rangers shirts supplied to children because of legislation deeming it unsuitable.

Now, the firm will leave the way clear for new names to appear across the strips.

Celtic are lining up a new Nike deal to supply their kit.

That will also run from 2010 and is expected to bank £29m over five years.

However, like rivals Rangers, they will still need to find a sponsor.

Magners and Coca-Cola are being rumoured as possible shirt sponsors for the Parkhead club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l.html?ITO=1490

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a notable Scottish charity?

I doubt it. We need all the money we can get :(

'Tis a pity - 2 or 3 overpaid underachievers in our squad would cover the lost income.

I'd love to see The Rangers follow Barca's lead.

I wouldnt, we simply cant afford it, no matter what good intentions it puts out... west brom were struggling to get a sponsor and they are playing in one of the best leagues in the world, and certainly one with the most exposure, we will struggle, at the very least we could take on Unicef because we have that deal with them, IF we failed to get anyone else of significant note, but without trying to sound bad, it would be a last resort

I realize financially it might not be the best option, but in terms of publicity it would be great. After Manchester, and the continual Sellick/Media baseless accussations against Rangers of bigotry, this would be a fantastic way to boost the club's image in the UK and abroad.

Brewers Carling are ready to turn off the tap on their multi-million pound shirt sponsorship of the Old Firm.

Sportsmail understands they will end their seven-year association with the big two when their current contract concludes next season.

In the latest sign of the economic depression hitting the Scottish game, both clubs will now try to fill a £2million-per-season sponsorship gap.

Celtic and Rangers' shirt sponsors Carling is unlikely to renew deals with the Old Firm clubs

The Old Firm won’t be able to command the same fees as they enjoyed before — and are looking at a major ‘hit’ in terms of sponsorship revenue.

Telephone company T-Mobile, who were another joint Old Firm sponsor, have already pulled out of football as clubs wrestle with all manner of problems attracting advertisers.

Carling will have invested £30m in the Old Firm by the time their contract expires in 2010.

The global recession has forced their hand, but they are also believed to be calling time on a battle to establish themselves against Scottish firms like Tennent’s.

Their decision will end a long run of dual sponsorship for the Glasgow giants, with NTL having preceded Carling as joint shirt sponsors.

Carling’s parent company, Coors,signed an £18m deal with the Old Firm in the summer of 2005 which guaranteed almost £2m per season for each club.

The previous deal had been worth £12m.

It is crucial cash for the Glasgow clubs, who are lagging behind English clubs and European giants in terms of TV revenue.

In April last year, Carling were forced to take their name off Celtic and Rangers shirts supplied to children because of legislation deeming it unsuitable.

Now, the firm will leave the way clear for new names to appear across the strips.

Celtic are lining up a new Nike deal to supply their kit.

That will also run from 2010 and is expected to bank £29m over five years.

However, like rivals Rangers, they will still need to find a sponsor.

Magners and Coca-Cola are being rumoured as possible shirt sponsors for the Parkhead club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/....html?ITO=1490#

The Carling sponsor looks absolutely shite anyway. Whatever company sponsors us will realistically have to sponsor them too. Wouldn't mind seeing Coca-Cola actually, but UNICEF is a non-starter given that we would need to pay them to have it on the strip which is a poor financial move for a team like us in this current economic climate.

I can't really see Celtic and Rangers having seperate sponsors again for quite a while. It doesn't really make sense for companies to sponsor one club and essentially lose out on a lot of custom to the other half of Glasgow who would avoid anything that is on one of their shirts.

I can't really see Celtic and Rangers having seperate sponsors again for quite a while. It doesn't really make sense for companies to sponsor one club and essentially lose out on a lot of custom to the other half of Glasgow who would avoid anything that is on one of their shirts.

Absolutely.

If my favourite brand of whatever sponsored Celtic, I'd stop buying it. Why donate to the scum?

Coca-Cola might not be willing to sponsor us, but there are other drinks manufacturers out there who might.

How about the small, but growing, coke producer in the United States from the town of Hokum?

We could have the legend, "Hokum Coke" on the shirts. :thumbup:

The 'rattlers' would go apeshit. :party:

Absolutely.

If my favourite brand of whatever sponsored Celtic, I'd stop buying it. Why donate to the scum?

Aye they had the right Idea with carling as it's fuckin rank so they wouldnt lose any business as nae cunt drank it anyway.