So What Did The Boycott Achieve?

macranger

I'm not taking any sides here, I'm glad Dave King & Co have taken over, but as far as I can see, the only thing that fans boycotting done, was allow Dave King & co to buy Rangers on the cheap. I keep reading about all the fans that boycotted seem to be holding themselves up as if it was them that made it all happen. The REAL fans who bought into Rangers when they were floated, paid 70p a share, whereas it looks like DK & co have got them on the cheap. At one point, the shares were as low as 18p & are still only trading for 35p today, a 50% loss for anyone who bought shares back when CG floated us. I don't have any problems with the new board, hopefully they can take us forward, but just get pissed off reading about CERTAIN fans (think we all know who I mean)who boycotted, holding themselves up as the people who made it happen, & other certain multi millionaires, who could have bought us outright, but the amount they did spend was probably what they had in their wallet at the time. This isn't a dig at DK & co, more a dig at the boycotters. We could have got the same result without a boycott.

Rant over. :7325:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarvers bid appeared to be the catalyst for a lot of activity in that respect.

Which made me wonder where Kings loyalties lie. He said he'd move aside if a better bid came in. It was better than his, but he appeared to buy shares from a hedge fund (which he said he wouldn't do) and then voted to block Sarver's bid.

I think it was always King's intention to takeover at Rangers, he was just waiting to see how cheap he could get us for. The boycott's etc. seemed to help drive the share price down. I think when Sarver started sniffing about he had to act because he knew this was as cheap as he was going to get us without other people coming in.

I was, and am, no fan of the boycott, or of the means used by the UoF and King's faction. But neither was I a fan of how the Board conducted itself in some ways.

Ultimately we are where we are. I can see the positives of King and his group and of some of their achievements, even if I don't approve of some of the machiavellian stuff that went on to get them where they are.

I'm willing to move on and do my wee bit to drive us to success.

I wonder if King and co might at some point thank the thousands of supporters who stood by their team through a horrible season.

Only thanking the boycotters will eventually alienate a load of people so they should have a think about that.

The best statement I have read in 3 seasons.

I have never advocated encouraging boycotts, however it has certainly highlighted some of the approach taken in the boardroom and flushed out the agenda of those in power. Ultimately if has allowed others to buy shares from companies who were desperate to get out, not just DK and T3B but also the increased shareholding from RF and the RST.

I think it might have played its part in the sense that it showed those at the top that the fans wouldn't just sit idly by and let our loyalties (ironically, some might say) be taken advantage of. The fans are the lifeblood of the Club and if it looked like that particular cash flow was going to be cut off, thus nullifying any form of profit from the Club, then those who were only there for the money would most likely disappear.

Before people come on here frothing at the mouth, I went to the games and didn't boycott however I wasn't holding it against anyone who did.

I suspect that without the boycott, the likes of Laxey and the various institutions would not have sold their shares and that is perhaps the reference King meant. The only way to get control was through Share ownership and thankfully that has been achieved now, not just

by King and 3 bears but the ordinary supporter and the progress made by Rangers First and Buy Rangers.

If there was no boycott Cashley would have raped us even more than he has done. He didn't give a fock for the supporters. All he wanted was as much money as he could steal from us

to give to sports direct. So we had to starve the fookers out. And we did.

I did not agree with the boycott completely not buying season tickets yes as I have said on here I did not renew until last November so was part of that for a while. I still think people should have been there to support the team but respect their choice to boycott. All it really achieved was the money running out quicker more loans would have been taken against assets then possible admin. The only reason for change was that finally King T3B bought their shares and King called the EGM.