Mark Warburton: Barrie McKay Is Just Brilliant

LeeWallaceRFC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wee man is obviously thriving under a proper manager and coaching team. It must have been brutal in the previous regime and thank god Mark came in because under McCoist I'd imagine Barry would be wasting away at some shitey team like Morton today if he didn't.

He has a huge future with us.

He really is starting to deliver on all of the hype over the last couple of years! Hopefully works hard, keeps his feet on the ground and develops into a top player!

On a side note, I really hate when people refer to positions on a football pitch as numbers like Warburton did saying McKay can play at 7,8,10 and 11. It makes football sound like rugby and I dislike it, just refer to the positions!!

Looking back, one of the few positive things the old regime (board and football operation) did was to give McKay a 5 year contract or he'd already be elsewhere. His excellent form this season will certainly make his next contract heavier and I hope he gets it signed with us asap. At this moment in time, I'd rather have McKay with a new contract than sign O'Hallaron.

I never thought he'd make it. He just struck me as another frail Scottish lad who would drift but it now seems as if he has a steely determination and levels of application that suggest the real possibility of a good career to come. One thing that stands out for me is his bravery to keep showing for the ball, no matter the circumstances of the game, mood of the fans or if he is having a mediocre/poor game.

He also chooses his moments to try and get by defenders and isn't as predictable as some widemen. Then there is his balance which was illustrated the other night slicing through Morton and scoring the second goal with his right foot.

We could go on about composure, great goals etc but what is important for McKay now is that he keeps looking to improve in every way possible, that he develops up to the 'next level' and that the footballing operation at Rangers have modernised in a way to facilitate this.

edit
And regards the last point,......that the likes of Liam Burt and their advisors see an excellent footballing operation that will assist them in their career and make them more likely to want to join or stay at Rangers.

Agree with the Gaffer, he is brilliant he's gone from strength to strength under Warburton. He's rapid, built up a fair bit of muscle as well a really talented player with a bright future thanks to Warburton. Who knows where he'd be rotting currently if McCoist was still here :power_of_anguish:

He's young, keen and shows good awareness of positions / passing etc... I'd love to see him play Centre Forward, even if it's for one half of a game. Maybe he's this "natural finisher" many have been crying out for. 

And if he's not then at least it's been tried. 

(Although I believe that it would be something already tried in training... and MW believes he's best out on the wing). 

Lastly... what a goal!!

42 minutes ago, Cobham said:

He really is starting to deliver on all of the hype over the last couple of years! Hopefully works hard, keeps his feet on the ground and develops into a top player!

On a side note, I really hate when people refer to positions on a football pitch as numbers like Warburton did saying McKay can play at 7,8,10 and 11. It makes football sound like rugby and I dislike it, just refer to the positions!!

Really? I love the old numbering system. It draws a picture in my head of the "beautiful game". 

Do you really want to read "McKay can play right wing, right attacking midfield, left attacking midfield and left wing positions" every time MW speaks of a player like this?

The boys confidence just brings a smile to your face, he'll just about always run defenders, and he'll just about always beat them. Incredible 1 on 1. 

Said since div. 3 that I thought he would be better suited at 10, was nice to see him doing damage there on Monday. Gem of a player. Huge, huge future.

After the financial debacle Rangers came over to Belfast to play a return friendly against Linfield at Windsor Park.

My brother-in-law and I were there and we both thought that wee Barrie was a stand-out!

great to see the wee man fulfilling the potential that we saw that day!

Keep it up, Barrie!!

Never Forgive Never Forget!

1 minute ago, pastor buenose said:

Really? I love the old numbering system. It draws a picture in my head of the "beautiful game". 

Do you really want to read "McKay can play right wing, right attacking midfield, left attacking midfield and left wing positions" every time MW speaks of a player like this?

I grew at a time time where where 1-11 had positions, and I agree with you there is a certain nostalgia about it but numbers don't matter anymore in regard to positions so these numbers proabaly mean nothing to the younger guys. A modern day 10 isn't the same as a number 10 when I was growing up either and with all the changes in formation the numbers don't correspond with modern day formations.

If that's what he needs to say then yes, or he can just say he can play in a number of positions. We're all bright enough to know the positions he's talking about, I would guess no-one is assuming Warburton is going to play him at left back!

14 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Might be reading too much into it, but I found this bit concerning;

Really hope the boy doesn't go backwards.

Not a concern yet, but it sounds like he has a way to go to work on his attitude towards the game. 

If he listens to MW and works hard everyday, he really could go on to bigger things. Very talented young man. 

4 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Not a concern yet, but it sounds like he has a way to go to work on his attitude towards the game. 

If he listens to MW and works hard everyday, he really could go on to bigger things. Very talented young man. 

He has had attitude issues before by all accounts, I'd hoped he'd grown up and moved past that now. Just a worry MW felt the need to say that along with the new contract dragging on.

I've always maintained since 2012 he has everything needed to be a top player but it's up to him and his mentality. 

9 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

He has had attitude issues before by all accounts, I'd hoped he'd grown up and moved past that now. Just a worry MW felt the need to say that along with the new contract dragging on.

I've always maintained since 2012 he has everything needed to be a top player but it's up to him and his mentality. 

Aye, I think it might just be a bit of man management from MW, saying get the contract signed, get your head down here and in a few years we can get you a move on to an EPL team. 

2 hours ago, Cobham said:

I still do that as well haha 

I think if your a fan of classic football 50s-70s you tend to use those terms because numbers were set to 11 and per position