Virtuoso

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The demon drink. Once it gets a hold of you it takes a lot to say no.

I fear for Gazza. He did things with a football I never saw anyone else do. Its frightful to think that he might have been even better had he not had all the hangers on, the booze, the women etc.

All the best Gazza. I hope you put it all behind you some day.

WTF has Cruyff to do with a picture of the human tragedy that is Paul Gascoigne. ?

I truly detest the Sun newspaper and their ilk,the pits of newspaper journalism. 

As for Paul, would be best if he can find some sort of security or peace of mind,but we've known that even with the best of help he cannot shift his demons.

I've mentioned before I "met" him at the end of his football career, early morning, in the lounge at Gatwick airport, just me and my wife and himself there, he was only interested in the bottles of available free booze, and I realised even then he was probably beyond help.

A genius maybe, but always a man out of his depth, attempting to cope only with bravado and  juvenile humour.  He was only truly himself when he was on that 12,000 square metres of football pitch.

I sometimes wonder whether football itself should take more responsibility in general in making sure top players cope with the extremes.

He reached the heights but such a long way to have fallen in a sadly ongoing  tragedy.

There are no hopeless cases in this world, but I do fear the worst for Paul, this illness is cunning, baffling and very powerful. The alcohol is just a symptom of a deeper, underlying malady driven by a thousand forms of fear. Please Paul, step into the solution and begin your recovery again. You know it works.

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

I sometimes wonder whether football itself should take more responsibility in general in making sure top players cope with the extremes.

Good post mate , a wee bit off topic but i think you are spot on about football doing more too protect guys once their out the game , was reading recently about the fedex cup in golf and they keep part of the players prize money in a retirement fund that they cant touch till they are 45 or 60 , and once they do access it they are paid out in monthly instalments over 5 years , and imo its something football should look too and try implement too help with 1 of the problems players face after hanging up the boots ,

Only one person can help Gazza and that's the man himself, I don't think that he can and that's the saddest part.

He has had untold help from everywhere and after each session/therapy/clinic visits etc you would hope that would get him heading the right direction, which it does but only for a short time.

Once the curtain came down on this great entertainers career it was downhill from there as he was at his happiest brilliant best when entertaining with the spotlight on and the ball at his feet, every time you see the post titled Gazza you fear the worst.

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

There are no hopeless cases in this world, but I do fear the worst for Paul, this illness is cunning, baffling and very powerful. The alcohol is just a symptom of a deeper, underlying malady driven by a thousand forms of fear. Please Paul, step into the solution and begin your recovery again. You know it works.

What needs to be Gazza's 1st thought is NOT TO LIFT THE 1st Drink..he continues to do this..and no matter the best intentions and promises he makes..as soon as he takes the 1st he is off and running..as regards another poster doubting the validity of the pic as he looked so good 13th March.  I'm not going to believe everything that the sun does or say..but it would be an accurate picture of the aftermath that will befall an alcoholic who continues to drink. I love the man as much as I loved the player. I will keep him in my Prayers and hope he gets well...ODAAT..

The fact they even try to compare it to Cruyff shows the barrel that rag is willing to scrape the bottom of , will remain skeptical due to it being in the sun but if true sadly it's a story we are all too familiar and a heartbreaking one at that , get well soon gazza , if it turns out to be lies then the media again have a lot to answer for in regards to the way the circulate this man desperate for the next fall of the wagon 

He was in the local A&E last weekend (a work colleague seen him). The picture maybe the result of his visit, if so 2 things he is courting the paper for cash for booze and the paper obliging is disgraceful as it is only fueling the problem.