Peter Martin or 'Maguire'

Gaz52

Firstly, I know he's a tim, it's common knowledge. 

But I was just watching his show he does with Roughie on STV and Frank McAvennie was on it. 

They were talking about Rangers and rhat-face McAvennie was trying to stick the boot right in to Warburton and Rangers, saying we'll be lucky to finish 4th, making MW out to be a clown for saying it'll take the new players "9-12 months to make an impact" he couldn't hide his hatred, almost foaming at the mouth

But what I found refreshing is Martin or 'Maguire' actually put McAvennie in his place and told him to stop being ridiculous, I'm not going to type out exactly how the conversation went as there was a lot of it but it was clear Martin was giving Warburton and the younger Rangers players a lot of credit and saying the Barton situation and the media aren't doing MW any favours but he believes he's the man to take Rangers forward - with the financial backing. 

Maybe he felt the need as the presenter to keep things balanced but fair play to him for putting personal feelings to one side and being a professional about things. 

Did anyone else catch it? 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McAvennie is right. We will be lucky to finish 4th on current form and results.

and if Warburton said it will take players a whole year to make an impact then that was a stupid thing to say too as you don't get that sort of time to make an impact at Rangers, or Celtic - or sorry should I rephrase "shouldn't" ...

I didn't see it so never seen his tone but I've always found McAvennie decent enough if I'm honest.

If Martin stood up for us then fair play too.

Just now, K.A.I said:

McAvennie is right. We will be lucky to finish 4th.

and if Warburton said it will take players a whole year to make an impact then that was a stupid thing to say too as you don't get that sort of time to make an impact at Rangers, or Celtic - or sorry should I rephrase "shouldn't" ...

I didn't see it so never seen his tone but I've always found McAvennie decent enough if I'm honest.

If Martin stood up for us then fair play too.

This "bedding in" is a piss poor excuse IMO. Players join new clubs all the time and hit the ground running, they're signed to improve a team immediately not months or a year down the line.

We wouldn't have won the Treble in 1977-78 if Davie Cooper and Gordon Smith had taken time to "bed in".

Just now, harlands plater said:

This "bedding in" is a piss poor excuse IMO. Players join new clubs all the time and hit the ground running, they're signed to improve a team immediately not months or a year down the line.

We wouldn't have won the Treble in 1977-78 if Davie Cooper and Gordon Smith had taken time to "bed in".

Exactly.

Sinclair didn't take any time to bed in.

Dembele took a matter of weeks.

Last season guys like Tav and Waghorn hit the ground running for us.

It's a piss-poor excuse to buy time before considering someone or a whole team a failure ... who even comes back a year later and says "mind a year ago you said 12 months they will be bedded in ok?" ... it's a deflection tactic.

I have no issues with Celtic guys like Macca criticising us provided it's honest. Which that is IMO.

28 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

We signed 11 players last year the early form was fantastic we have seen nothing like that since from a Warburton team even when he's strengthened this season.

Posters seem to be basing the season on hopes and dreams and anyone who questions it is wrong.

Same old tarrier shite like radio cattolica only you've got to look at the ugly bhastards, one plays good cop another plays bad cop, rough plays the Derek Johnstone part of court jester, they draw the mugs in with their set ups but still manage to put the negatives out about Rangers, all done patronisingly of course, wee mcguire martin is for the want of a better phrase "a past master" or whatever the term is in opus dei language at it. All the jhournos they bring on are tarriers, hugh mcdonald etc. Wee martin has a look of dhurty bheast about him trying to get roughie and the likes of frankie bhoy to confess their sins and punish them appropriately, probably has punished them and that's how they get the gig. Amateur at best, sordid at worst ! Middle of the road opinion right enough ! ??:sherlock:

I've not seen the interview were Warburton apparently said that. Warburton has a very good footballing brain and I highly doubt he thinks it takes a player 9 months to start playing well 

40 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Never saw it. Watched that show once. Whole show looks like it is made on the cheap, looks like it's shot in a caravan.

Practically, it is made at the Strathclyde Business Park and is manned by the local NL college students.

28 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Exactly.

It's a piss-poor excuse to buy time before considering someone or a whole team a failure ... who even comes back a year later and says "mind a year ago you said 12 months they will be bedded in ok?" ... it's a deflection tactic.

I have no issues with Celtic guys like Macca criticising us provided it's honest. Which that is IMO.

I'd say Rossiter and Windass hit the ground running. Windass first game vs Motherwell he was pretty good, and was one of the only players to get pass marks vs Celtic. 

Them being injured is the only thing but it's something that can happen to any player. All it takes is a bad tackle or something as little as stepping wrong and you're leg/foot could be fucked up. 

Senderos, Garner, Kranjcar and Barton didn't really hit the ground running, Bit harsh on Kranjcar cause he has the ability it's just the fitness. (Leave Crooks out since he's made one appearance against lower league team) 

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

I'd say Rossiter and Windass hit the ground running. Windass first game vs Motherwell he was pretty good, and was one of the only players to get pass marks vs Celtic. 

Them being injured is the only thing but it's something that can happen to any player. All it takes is a bad tackle or something as little as stepping wrong and you're leg/foot could be fucked up. 

Senderos, Garner, Kranjcar and Barton didn't really hit the ground running, Bit harsh on Kranjcar cause he has the ability it's just the fitness. (Leave Crooks out since he's made one appearance against lower league team) 

Rossiter has done nothing of note yet. He's not had a lot of games, granted, but it's too early to form any sort of judgement on him one way or another.

Windass I agree with. Great player.

Has Warburton even said anywhere they will take a year to get playing well? - I've not listened to a lot of his interviews this season as I was getting annoyed hear the same pish every week.

3 hours ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Never saw it. Watched that show once. Whole show looks like it is made on the cheap, looks like it's shot in a caravan.

Mer like shot in a fuckin confessional !??:sherlock:

PS - Mind you them gettin shot in a confessional might no be a bad thing !??:sherlock:

Jist fur the craic right enough ??????

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Rossiter has done nothing of note yet. He's not had a lot of games, granted, but it's too early to form any sort of judgement on him one way or another.

Windass I agree with. Great player.

Has Warburton even said anywhere they will take a year to get playing well? - I've not listened to a lot of his interviews this season as I was getting annoyed hear the same pish every week.

I meant Rossiter was a better CDM and made more impact than what Barton has :lol: I'd say he's below Halliday in that spot though. 

I don't think he has, he's always gone with 1st or 2nd. He knows the stakes and that. 

Only time I recall him mentioning timescales is when Ally McCoist said it'll take 3 years for us to compete, to which Warburton replied if that was the case I'd be gone long before that was the case. So Warburton does have the intentions, the players have the ability and they have the support. But something just isn't clicking. 

43 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I've not seen the interview were Warburton apparently said that. Warburton has a very good footballing brain and I highly doubt he thinks it takes a player 9 months to start playing well 

(tu)

I'd also like to see that interview when he allegedly said anything remotely like that, before I would even think about taking the word of some ex scum player over our manager.

:uk:

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Exactly.

You get what you pay for ultimately. 

Demebele is in the £35k a week bracket, and Sinclair was £3.5m (ish). 

We're up against better opposition, and we're being out resourced by a team that was already champions.

Waruburton has made mistakes (and continues to), although most managers do to be fair. But he's been given a knife for a gunfight by the board.