Scottish Football Doesn't Deserve More Cash,insists Bbc Boss

Scottish football doesn't deserve more cash, insists BBC supremo Barbara Slater

By JOHN GREECHAN FOR THE SCOTTISH DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 01:47, 15 May 2015 | UPDATED: 01:47, 15 May 2015

The BBC’s director of sport has slammed the door on SPFL chief Neil Doncaster by insisting that Scottish football doesn’t merit a bigger slice of the licence fee.

Barbara Slater was speaking after Doncaster vowed he would be chasing broadcasters for an improvement on current TV deals, which includes the Corporation’s reported £3million for Sportscene highlights and radio commentaries.

Scottish fans will continue to see more of their money spent on England’s top flight than our own Premiership

That is a pittance compared to the staggering £204m the BBC paid to secure the Match of the Day package for three more years.

But Slater told the Telegraph Business of Sport conference that the ‘inequality’ was a price worth paying to retain highlights of England’s more lucrative Premier League

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3082609/Scottish-football-doesn-t-deserve-cash-insists-BBC-supremo-Barbara-Slater.html#ixzz3aAPiVTlG

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

While Scottish football is phlegm of ability if the licence fee was proportional to every 3 million to Scotland there would be 30 to England as I believe they have 10 licence fee payers to every 1 Scot. Evidently England's well covered and over-hyped/overpaid league is getting far in excess of that rate - yes it's better than our football but ours is hardly going to get better if the game gets more expensive and we spend less on it than we did in the past.

So it comes down to whether or not you are happy as a Scot that you are propping up the Premiership - I imagine you already pay SKY or BT for this privilege?!?!?!? so you are paying a fortune to prop up their game - I wouldn't expect England to pay to prop up ours but I wouldn't expect us to pay to prop up their financially retarded league.

Could always just stop buying a licence fee combing it with a letter to the BBC explaining your disgust, as far as I understand it you could watch tv over the pc and as long as it isn't live you aren't breaking any law concerning the licence fee, you may be infringing upon copyright somewhere but then Facebook has successfully copyrighted the word 'face' and 'book' so how much sympathy you have for big business is entirely up you.

You can get away with watching live tv and not paying the tv license. I refuse to give the BBC a penny and have had letters through for ages threatening to take me to court etc. It is all cleverly worded with mays and ifs inserted to give the impression they will take action against you. If the tv license people appear at my door then i film them so i have a record of the conversation asthey have been known to try to prosecute people with fall evidence. I don't tell them who i am and kindly tell them i am not interested in entering into any contract with them and to get off the property. There is not a thing they can do about it.

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php/board,4.0.html?PHPSESSID=8be61c5843125c15904439ddc0f0125a

I think they're massively overpaying.

They should be paying the BBC to get on air.

Alloa Chairman was asking why his licence subsidises English football and why BBC reduced the Scottish games money.

He has a cheek.

He, along with others, voted to diminish the quality of the game 3 years ago.

That's like telling your employer you'll only turn up half the time and being ungrateful that they keep you on but reduce your pay.

I watch match of the day every week, I honestly don't remember when I last watched sportscene.

I even turn to bbc London to skip sportscene on a Sunday :lol:

Scottish football is awful, and I include Rangers in that. Just a pity I'm addicted to Rangers.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "deserved".

This isn't SKY Sports, where if you don't like their business model you can just cancel your subscription, the BBC have a legally enforceable fee that has to be paid in order to fund them, and with that fee they have put a monetary value on the amount they are paying towards football per head. So, if the EPL is worth £204M per head, then Scottish football should be worth around £20M. Now some may laugh, but as I've said they put a monetary values on fees per head, and at 10% of the population of England then that is around our slice of the pie.

At the end of the day it is going to take someone with serious balls in Scottish football to come out and take this mob to court.

So the powers that be want the BBC to subsidise Scottish football. I don't think that is even legal.

Just like fifa and UEFA the SFA are unaccountable and a law unto themself.

A season when players have been suspended for betting on football and the league gets a bookmaker as sponsor.

Not only does it make no sense as the players can't bet on football but under 18s, the lifeblood of the games future, can't legally enter the sponsor's premises whilst it must also be a huge conflict of interest given the amounts of money bet on football and the related consequences.

A major own goal ignored in their desperation for a sponsor.

This isn't SKY Sports, where if you don't like their business model you can just cancel your subscription, the BBC have a legally enforceable fee that has to be paid in order to fund them, and with that fee they have put a monetary value on the amount they are paying towards football per head. So, if the EPL is worth £204M per head, then Scottish football should be worth around £20M. Now some may laugh, but as I've said they put a monetary values on fees per head, and at 10% of the population of England then that is around our slice of the pie.

At the end of the day it is going to take someone with serious balls in Scottish football to come out and take this mob to court.

Not so.

Also, the BBC is not there to support mismanaged sporting institutions or we'd be minted.

It's a public service;not a charity.

I suspect that Scottish viewers make up about 10% of Sky Subscribers therefore Scottish football should get £500 million over 3 years.

You can get away with watching live tv and not paying the tv license. I refuse to give the BBC a penny and have had letters through for ages threatening to take me to court etc. It is all cleverly worded with mays and ifs inserted to give the impression they will take action against you. If the tv license people appear at my door then i film them so i have a record of the conversation asthey have been known to try to prosecute people with fall evidence. I don't tell them who i am and kindly tell them i am not interested in entering into any contract with them and to get off the property. There is not a thing they can do about it.

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php/board,4.0.html?PHPSESSID=8be61c5843125c15904439ddc0f0125a

Or alternatively, you could just phone them up and tell them. They won't need to send anyone else out to hassle you and you won't need to sneak aboot like James Bond in yer ain hoose.

I suspect that Scottish viewers make up about 10% of Sky Subscribers therefore Scottish football should get £500 million over 3 years.

Not so.

Also, the BBC is not there to support mismanaged sporting institutions or we'd be minted.

It's a public service;not a charity.

With SKY there is a choice, you have the choice to fund them, after which they can choose to distribute any revenues they receive how ever they please. I personally don't have an issue with how SKY do business, they have to do what's best for ratings and ad revenues. Ideally we would be getting a lot more revenue from them, but IMO a lot of it seems to stem from burnt bridges over those rebel clubs choosing Setanta when both Rangers and Celtic told them not to.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the BBC don't have any issues of ratings or advertisement revenues in this country, because as you say they are a publicly funded company, which you have to pay for regardless of whether you wan't to or not. Therefore any revenues generated by Scotland should be returned to Scotland.

Do you think that of the revenue generated in Scotland, which is in the mid-hundreds of millions is returned to Scotland?

With SKY there is a choice, you have the choice to fund them, after which they can choose to distribute any revenues they receive how ever they please. I personally don't have an issue with how SKY do business, they have to do what's best for ratings and ad revenues. Ideally we would be getting a lot more revenue from them, but IMO a lot of it seems to stem from burnt bridges over those rebel clubs choosing Setanta when both Rangers and Celtic told them not to.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the BBC don't have any issues of ratings or advertisement revenues in this country, because as you say they are a publicly funded company, which you have to pay for regardless of whether you wan't to or not. Therefore any revenues generated by Scotland should be returned to Scotland.

Do you think that of the revenue generated in Scotland, which is in the mid-hundreds of millions is returned to Scotland?

Absolutely not. The BBC is a national organisation that covers national and international events. Do you think BBC Scotland should have to pay the BBC in England to show Wimbledon, The Open or FA Cup?

You should really make your questions much more clear.

The licence payer should be getting best value possible for their money. They should not be supporting failed, borderline insolvent sporting institutions with a yearning for suicidal thinking.

They chose to massively diminish their product and therefore revenue three years ago. They can't expect others to pick up the tab and bail them out. And they certainly shouldn't be using aggressive debating strategies in their public begging appeals without reference to their own errors, or indeed to hide those errors. It's an SNP strategy that, in this case, borders on shysterism

Sport Scotland or the Department of Culture, Media and Sport are the only place to send such begging letters.

Maybe if Scottish football had more money in it, the standard would get better over the years. A mad idea I know.

You could pump the amount of money in English football in to the Estonian league, and, over time, the Estonian league will become the best league in the world.

Maybe if Scottish football had more money in it, the standard would get better over the years. A mad idea I know.

You could pump the amount of money in English football in to the Estonian league, and, over time, the Estonian league will become the best league in the world.

I don't disagree with that.

However, it's not the BBC's job to play sugar daddy for the SPFL.

It's not, but our game receiving our licence payers money isn't playing sugar daddy, in my opinion.

It is if they pay more than they think they should.

If the SPFL don't like the deal with the BBC, the solution is simple.

Don't do the deal.

No point in complaining about something you've fully agreed and signed up to.