Police Scotland confirm received report into historic child abuse within football

Smile

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Cool Hand Coop said:

Disappointed that no one's posted Helen's tweet on other forums.

We should be using social media the way timmy did over the ebt's to get the message out there.

We could learn a thing or two from those bastards when it comes to reputational damage.

I only do RM mate, but agree anyone else using other forums should post them.

5 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

They really are a bread like no other, scumbags.

Britney and the rest of the media haters will be all over that on Twitter any minute now claiming it is 

"Stomach churning" point scoring ...........

Or maybe not.

I absolutely loaf and detest them 

Hoping an inquiry, compensation and then they are toast

The end is nigh for another bheast connected to that rancid abomination of a club 

This festering pus filled boil needs lanced

Surely the Government and SFA must act on this now as it has become a total scandal on a par with Jimmy Saville and the RC Church abuse 

oh wait.......

IMG_2123.JPG

1200px-Daily_Record_logo.svg.png

celtic Boys' Club boss accused of molesting youngsters slams claims as 'ludicrous'

Frank Cairney denies nine charges of historic sexual abuse between 1965 and 1986.

David Meikle

16:25, 13 DEC 2018

Frank Cairney claims he could not find any reason why men have accused him of abuse

A former manager of celtic Boys Club has claimed allegations he molested youngsters for more than 20 years are 'ludicrous'.

Frank Cairney, 83, ran St Columba's Boys Guild in Viewpark, Lanarkshire, before being asked by legendary celtic manager Jock Stein to take the reigns at the Parkhead side's boys club where he was put in charge of the under-16 team.

Cairney, of Viewpark, is on trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court and denies nine charges of historic sexual abuse spanning between 1965 and 1986.

He told jurors his time with both clubs held 'golden memories' for him and could not find any reason why men have accused him of abusing them.

Cairney, who told the court he was Lisbon Lion Jimmy Johnstone's mentor, has been accused of molesting boys inside his car, in a church hall and at celtic's Barrowfield training ground.

Frank Cairney, pictured in the 1990s, denies the allegations

READ MORE

Boys Club boss 'molested' teen player as he watched celtic play Benfica at Parkhead

Under questioning from his lawyer Thomas Ross QC, he said he joined celtic in 1971 but had first met Stein when he was watching a young Jimmy Johnstone.

He said: "I first met Jock Stein when he came with the intention to release Jimmy and I told him Spurs were there and he changed his mind and Jock made contact after that.

"I would actually say I was Jimmy Johnstone's mentor because he used to give me his complimentary tickets for games."

Cairney repeatedly denied any wrongdoing claiming to have formed good relationships with youngsters during the time he coached them.

He said: "To say I touched these boys inappropriately is absolutely ludicrous, they were young men, there were other adults there and there was no sexual purpose whatsoever."

Asked by depute fiscal Paula Russell if he had gained 'sexual gratification' and 'enjoyed touching' them, he replied: "Absolutely not."

And when questioned if he had created a 'cover up' to try and clear his name, he said: "I deny all of that, it never happened.

"I have no idea why they would make these allegations against me. I'm telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

Frank Cairney faces charges he abused a youngster at Barrowfield ground (Image: Daily Record)

GL322437.jpg

READ MORE

celtic Boys' Club boss 'grabbed naked players in the showers'

Cairney added: "I wish I knew why the boys were saying this, it is a total shock after 50 years to hear they would say that.

"I don't know why they are making these allegations because I was really friendly with them, some went to America with me so I have no idea why they are making these allegations.

"I never touched the boys in the context that is being put across here.

"These times are golden memories for me at celtic and at the Boys Guild, nothing ever happened."

The court also heard a police interview with Cairney where he branded one alleged victim 'disturbed'.

He said: "He was quite a disturbed boy. I didn't know him until he came for a trial. I don't know why he has said that, I don't know if he is being paid or needed the money but it didn't happen.

"I was just a working man, a bloody dedicated man and I gave up my work because I loved my football.

"Why wait years to disclose and keep relationships going, why did they do all of that?

"Some of them I never knew so how could they say that about me? I'm shocked about what you have got there because it never happened, it never happened."

When asked if he was aware of 'rumours' about him among boys not to be left alone with him, he replied: "I know they are always there because you are a bachelor but how would they come closer to me and invite me to their weddings and christenings?

"I was shocked when I heard what was being said about me."

frank.jpg

Frank Cairney has called claims of historic abuse as 'ludicrous' (Image: Daily Record)

READ MORE

Coach accused of abusing boys had close links to celtic legend Jock Stein

Cairney faces charges he abused one 14-year-old boy on various occasions at the Barrowfield ground as well as other locations in Glasgow and Lanarkshire between September 1969 and December 1972.

And he also faces an alternative charge of committing an alleged act of gross indecency against the same boy between September 1969 and December 1971 at the same locations.

Prosecutors also allege he indecently assaulted another 15-year-old boy at the training ground between January 1985 and December 1986.

He is further accused of indecent assault against two other boys aged between 14 and 17 at various Lanarkshire locations including a church between May 1965 and May 1970.

Cairney faces separate charges of alleged lewd, indecent and libidinous behaviour against two 12-year-old boys between December 1965 and December 1969 in Lanarkshire.

The trial before Sheriff Daniel Kelly QC continues.

Dirty lying bastard!

Hope he spends the remainder of his life in jail!

The Hag on child abuse re Cliff Richard

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/16369918.angela-haggerty-congratulations-sir-cliff-youve-just-done-sex-offenders-a-big-favour/

We know that men, women and children often tell nobody of their experiences, for years sometimes, because the trauma is so incredibly disabling. We know from those who’ve gone through the criminal justice system in a bid to find justice that it can be a gruelling experience. And we also know that the perpetrators of these crimes are particularly dangerous people: these are generally not one-off incidents, and one offender can harm many victims in their lifetime

Something else we know is that false accusations are relatively rare in comparison to the number of real sexual offences, and yet we spend so much time talking about it. Ultimately, the lay of the land when it comes to these crimes is that offenders already have better chances of getting away with it than victims do of ever even getting close to justice

The Hag on celtic child abuse

nothing

46 minutes ago, Jonok said:

The Hag on child abuse re Cliff Richard

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/16369918.angela-haggerty-congratulations-sir-cliff-youve-just-done-sex-offenders-a-big-favour/

We know that men, women and children often tell nobody of their experiences, for years sometimes, because the trauma is so incredibly disabling. We know from those who’ve gone through the criminal justice system in a bid to find justice that it can be a gruelling experience. And we also know that the perpetrators of these crimes are particularly dangerous people: these are generally not one-off incidents, and one offender can harm many victims in their lifetime

Something else we know is that false accusations are relatively rare in comparison to the number of real sexual offences, and yet we spend so much time talking about it. Ultimately, the lay of the land when it comes to these crimes is that offenders already have better chances of getting away with it than victims do of ever even getting close to justice

The Hag on celtic child abuse

nothing

irony the enemy of the tarrier 

Cliff got off with it too. which is also ironic 

1 hour ago, Malkster said:

Irony is a trait which seems oblivious to the taig minded

Ever the ‘victim’ however no recognition nor empathy for actual victims within or associated through football in their actual own community...

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/news/scottish-news/celtic-boys-club-boss-abused-13733859

celtic Boys' Club boss 'abused position of power to sexually abuse budding footballers'

In her closing speech, depute fiscal Paula Russell urged jurors to convict Cairney.

She said: "These eight men have come here to tell you what Frank Cairney did to them as children.

"You heard from 60-year-old men, not teenagers, who told you that back then they all wanted to be footballers.

"Frank Cairney was the gatekeeper to bigger and better things.

"He took you on, he had people on his side in a position of power and when you went there he was very nice and a trusted member of the community, a football coach extraordinaire.

"With the position of power that offered, these boys didn't speak out about what happened to them because who would believe that about big Frank?

"This is not about religion or the name of the club above the door but about a man who used his position of power to abuse boys in his care.

"Just look at how many of these boys told strikingly similar accounts through the decades when they were playing for clubs at different times.

Frank Cairney is on trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court

"He name dropped and was keen to tell you about his power at the club, but how do you expect young boys to stand up against that and speak up?

"Frank Cairney engaged in systematic conduct to use his power to abuse these boys and you are invited to use your power to convict Frank Cairney of the charges before you."

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

If it looks like a ring, walks like a ring and it talks like a ring then it’s a paedo ring.

is that all the cases done now?

If so, the BBC follow up can be aired and i’m sure the press will be all over it..

McCafferty for crimes commited in Scotland.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/news/scottish-news/celtic-boys-club-boss-abused-13733859

celtic Boys' Club boss 'abused position of power to sexually abuse budding footballers'

That closing address is outstanding.

”he had people on his side in a position of power...”

”he name-dropped and was keen to tell of his power at the club...”

No fucking hiding place now.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

If it looks like a ring, walks like a ring and it talks like a ring then it’s a paedo ring.

is that all the cases down now?

If so, the BBC follow up can be aired and i’m sure the press will be all over it..

'is that all the cases down now?' think it's the last CBC one but McCaffery the celtic coach/kit man still to be heard. 

Just now, Carling1873 said:

'is that all the cases down now?' think it's the last CBC one but McCaffery the celtic coach/kit man still to be heard. 

It’s starting to look like it’s just one big coincidence that they were all involved in starting the boys club and then this happened :whistle:

Archived