***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

10 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

How is there no such thing as being given enough money for second? By that same logic there's no such thing as being given enough money to finish first either.

So where did the likes of Barton, Kranjcar, Hill, Senderos, Gilks and Garner fit into this long term plan? Straight away that's 6 out of 11 signings that weren't with a view to the longer term.

How on earth can you give a manager an inferior budget to your rivals and then tell him to get second? It is a fallacy, a false argument, and a false premise to start from. Never in the history of this club, I should guess, has any manager been told to get second. We were trying to become first over time, that is more sensible, and to make a challenge of sorts, to consolidate and take the club forward; but a target of second? How does that work exactly?

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

No we aren't going to get somebody who's been successful in the EPL so why not look elsewhere for a manager who has been successful in a different league in another country?

Successful or not, people recognise Rodgers because he recently managed in the EPL and I genuinely get the feeling that some people are desperate for us to appoint a box office name just so they can say well look we've got a manager who people recognise too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against us appointing a big name but they have to be right for the job too and I don't think Alan Pardew would be at all.

Tbh you could be right about people wanting a big name through the door just for the sake of it.

Personally I'd like to see us go for someone who has at least a bit of knowledge of the club and it's traditions, which I think we're more likely to find in the UK.  For the interim at least to get us back on our feet and winning games again.

6 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Every right to his opinion.  Mccoist to me would never have made it simply because he tried to do what smith did. Only smith could a Rangers team that included a 36 year old weir and journey man Christian daily a whisker from an unprecedented quadruple. 

Warburton may have turned out different if he was given a budget to suit he's vision of free flowing winning football. Again he has major flaws but I'm sure every support will say that about their teams manager. I even witnessed a Man Utd fan telling his pal SAF was a hinderance to man Utd the very same season they won the champions league in 2008.

we all come up with what we think is a perfect solution but by and large we don't know or see anything behind the scenes

Quite agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that mccoist and warburton were both shite managers and if people can't see that they are either at it or burying their head in the sand. Maybe it's a selfish way of looking at it in my part but I think it's as plain as the nose on my face that those two were failures and we need to recruit better in future or we will be trailing the tarriers and possibly more teams for a long time to come. 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

How on earth can you give a manager an inferior budget to your rivals and then tell him to get second? It is a fallacy, a false argument, and a false premise to start from. Never in the history of this club, I should guess, has any manager been told to get second. We were trying to become first over time, that is more sensible, and to make a challenge of sorts, but a target of second? How does that work exactly?

What is it that's hard to understand?

The board probably told him 'ok we obviously want to finish first this season however, given the circumstances second is acceptable and we've gave you more than enough money to cover that. Come next summer we can build on what we have then continue to improve.' 

We have a significantly higher budget than 10 teams in the league, so the board have every right to expect us to finish in second place.

22 minutes ago, KWBear said:

In what context though? Against Rodgers who is operating with a vastly superior squad (and like it or not, a better CV than Pardew), all that will happen is extended mediocrity. 

It's a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you dont", i suppose, as if we appointed antonio conte we'd still be fucked with this gaggle of shit that currently makes up our first team squad. 

If we want to plod along in mediocrity then pardew is the man. Admittedly he would represent an upgrade on warburton, but would he be capable of taking us to the next level, consistently, to compete with the scum? not for me. not even close, and his worrying trend of going on abysmal winless streaks should have alarm bells ringing. He is notorious for being likable in the short term, but then starts to get on everyone's tits and loses his dressing room, before being jettisoned. 

I honestly think that with the route we are going down by appointing a DoF and putting faith in the academy and supposedly building for the future, a manager like De Boer after what he achieved at Ajax, is our best option. will it happen? will it fuck, we will be lumbered with whoever is cheapest. 

Some horrendous names being touted at the moment. i genuinely think pardew is horrendous. 

Are you really saying pardew is mediocre manager. C'mon keep it real mate he'd do a great job up here I respect your opinion but disagree ?

by the way FDB is still the dream for me

23 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

How on earth can you give a manager an inferior budget to your rivals and then tell him to get second? It is a fallacy, a false argument, and a false premise to start from. Never in the history of this club, I should guess, has any manager been told to get second. We were trying to become first over time, that is more sensible, and to make a challenge of sorts, to consolidate and take the club forward; but a target of second? How does that work exactly?

Because maybe they were realistic and knew wed never get first place.

That said the words "second place is your target" should have never been uttered, im not sure they even were, but they shouldnt, a Rangers managers target should always be first place regardless of how much a challenge it will be. Fair enough accepting second when it comes but it shouldnt have been our "target" this season.

im not happy with the boards level of investment, but Mark Warburton had more than enough money to spend to secure second place convincingly, it was his management that let him down not lack of cash

Baffles me that folk are still clutching at straws to defend Warburton, theyre taking his side because they hate King not because they think Warburton was the man to take us forward and its utterly pathetic but its just typical nowadays. I cant stand the board but Warburton is the reason we are so bad on the pitch just now.

8 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

What is it that's hard to understand?

The board probably told him 'ok we obviously want to finish first this season however, given the circumstances second is acceptable and we've gave you more than enough money to cover that. Come next summer we can build on what we have then continue to improve.' 

We have a significantly higher budget than 10 teams in the league, so the board have every right to expect us to finish in second place.

I agree with the first part, those players were signed to finish first, but to say to any manager to get second is not on, especially at Rangers. The fact is that this board have hid behind Warburton, they allowed him to carry the can for what is their shortcomings as well, and yet they did not back him for the task in hand.  It doesn't matter how our budget compares to others; they have players who could not possibly play for this club, it matters that we did not have the players to come first. We'll see this summer- will the new manager be told to come second; will he be given a budget for first? One thing is certain, this board have to get a manager in to win the league, and match his ambition with the kind of investment it takes.

6 minutes ago, Willis said:

Because maybe they were realistic and knew wed never get first place.

That said the words "second place is your target" should have never been uttered, im not sure they even were, but they shouldnt, a Rangers managers target should always be first place regardless of how much a challenge it will be. Fair enough accepting second when it comes but it shouldnt have been our "target" this season.

im not happy with the boards level of investment, but Mark Warburton had more than enough money to spend to secure second place convincingly, it was his management that let him down not lack of cash

Baffles me that folk are still clutching at straws to defend Warburton, theyre taking his side because they hate King not because they think Warburton was the man to take us forward and its utterly pathetic but its just typical nowadays. I cant stand the board but Warburton is the reason we are so bad on the pitch just now.

It's not about defending Warburton, it is about looking at the whole situation at this club, and how long we are willing to give anyone on that kind of budget. We cannot give budgets for second, we cannot have a strategy for second, and you explain that quite well; but rightly or wrongly, there is no way that Warburton was backed to come first, and if that is the case it doesn't really matter what happens after that, because Rangers having a team to come second could very easily come 4th or 5th. There is huge pressure at the club is to come first, that will always be the case, and any manager who doesn't get that will walk away a failure, and in a short space of time. I don't know where we were in the table when Le Guen left, but I imagine it wasn't far off second; it's the same argument. If this board doesn't have the means to get this club to first, then that is where things have to be examined; because the manager's role is compromised immediately.

McCoist was a poor manager with old ideas . I am sure when he was managing us he was quoted as saying the training had not changed much in 30 years . This for me sums up McCoist and his management style. Warburton for me said and started off doing the correct things but lost his way. While I would agree in his first season we were short on squad numbers and this possibly cost us the cup final . I feel we lost in on recruitment at the start of the season .If we had stuck to the plan of signing 4-5  younger players,who could be developed, and improve the starting 11 then we would be in a much better place than we are now. Why we bought in the 11-12 players I don't know. Certainly I expected more in transfer money spent, but in retrospect it's probably just as well we didn't. The two major fees on MOH and Garner have been wasted . Neither have fitted in with the style the manager played. The new management structure has to allow for developing young players so must be able to identify these players early. The new manager must be given money by the board to get these types of players in. It is an important time and the next 4-5 months will tell us if the board has got the resources and the ability to do this. The rest of this season is going to be very difficult I am just hoping force bit of luck and a cup win but I expect it will be much of the same rubbish we have had to watch recently with the players not looking interested.

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Are you really saying pardew is mediocre manager. C'mon keep it real mate he'd do a great job up here I respect your opinion but disagree ?

by the way FDB is still the dream for me

I genuinely think he is mediocre. Look at his stats, they aint great and there is a theme when you look at the timeline on his managerial reigns:

west ham: 

In the 2006–07 season, Pardew was criticised after seeing West Ham through their worst run of defeats in over 70 years which included an exit from the UEFA Cup to Palermo in the very first round and a League Cup defeat to Chesterfield. West Ham's new owners stated their support for Pardew, but on 11 December 2006, following a 4–0 defeat away at Bolton Wanderers the previous weekend, Pardew was sacked by West Ham.

Charlton:

2007–08 season, Charlton failed to mount a serious promotion challenge and finished the season in 11th. This put Pardew under pressure going into the 2008–09 season but Charlton started the season off well with victories over Reading and Swansea. However, Charlton's form very quickly deteriorated and they were near the foot of the table after 8 games without a win. After a 5–2 home defeat to Sheffield United, hundreds of supporters remained for more than an hour to condemn their manager, chanting, "We want Pardew out" and "We want our club back" after Charlton had slipped into the Championship's bottom three. On 22 November 2008, Pardew parted company with Charlton by mutual consent.

Southampton: 

Pardew led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley Stadium, where they won 4–1 against Carlisle United. The win gave the club their first trophy since 1976. Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club, amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.

Re: newcastle and palace form, see previous. 

i cant see him as anything other than mediocre and he left palace in an absolute shambles

pardew.thumb.png.f81a1a9041876fb375847064d9115232.png

6 minutes ago, KWBear said:

I genuinely think he is mediocre. Look at his stats, they aint great and there is a theme when you look at the timeline on his managerial reigns:

west ham: 

In the 2006–07 season, Pardew was criticised after seeing West Ham through their worst run of defeats in over 70 years which included an exit from the UEFA Cup to Palermo in the very first round and a League Cup defeat to Chesterfield. West Ham's new owners stated their support for Pardew, but on 11 December 2006, following a 4–0 defeat away at Bolton Wanderers the previous weekend, Pardew was sacked by West Ham.

Charlton:

2007–08 season, Charlton failed to mount a serious promotion challenge and finished the season in 11th. This put Pardew under pressure going into the 2008–09 season but Charlton started the season off well with victories over Reading and Swansea. However, Charlton's form very quickly deteriorated and they were near the foot of the table after 8 games without a win. After a 5–2 home defeat to Sheffield United, hundreds of supporters remained for more than an hour to condemn their manager, chanting, "We want Pardew out" and "We want our club back" after Charlton had slipped into the Championship's bottom three. On 22 November 2008, Pardew parted company with Charlton by mutual consent.

Southampton: 

Pardew led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley Stadium, where they won 4–1 against Carlisle United. The win gave the club their first trophy since 1976. Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club, amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.

i cant see him as anything other than mediocre and he left palace in an absolute shambles

Those stats hardly prove he is mediocre, particularly when you consider the clubs he's managed. I'm not sure if I rate him or not, but I personally don't think he is anywhere near what it takes to manager of Rangers.

5 minutes ago, KWBear said:

west ham: 

Charlton:

Southampton: 

5 minutes ago, KWBear said:

west ham: 

Charlton:

Southampton: 

you obviously don't rate him mate that's cool it's no crime

I think he'd be a good appointment for us

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

Those stats hardly prove he is mediocre, particularly when you consider the clubs he's managed. I'm not sure if I rate him or not, but I personally don't think he is anywhere near what it takes to manager of Rangers.

Look at the money he spent in his last two jobs, he then took them both on massive winless runs in his last seasons with both before being sacked. He's not good enough imo and a cunt also. Not Rangers Class

14 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not about defending Warburton, it is about looking at the whole situation at this club, and how long we are willing to give anyone on that kind of budget. We cannot give budgets for second, we cannot have a strategy for second, and you explain that quite well; but rightly or wrongly, there is no way that Warburton was backed to come first, and if that is the case it doesn't really matter what happens after that, because Rangers having a team to come second could very easily come 4th or 5th. There is huge pressure at the club is to come first, that will always be the case, and any manager who doesn't get that will walk away a failure, and in a short space of time. I don't know where we were in the table when Le Guen left, but I imagine it wasn't far off second; it's the same argument. If this board doesn't have the means to get this club to first, then that is where things have to be examined; because the manager's role is compromised immediately.

I believe the Warburton question will never really be answered. 

Was he not backed well enough financially or was he just not that good of a manager? I don't think there is a definitive answer although I lean more towards it being Warburtons fault but there is no yes or no answer. 

The reason I have more respect for the board is that by getting rid of Warburton they've put the ball in their own court and will only have themselves to blame if we fail again.

Warburton wasn't backed to win 1st but it was evident he wasn't a good enough manager and bottled it 

14 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Was he not backed well enough financially or was he just not that good of a manager? I don't think there is a definitive answer although I lean more towards it being Warburtons fault but there is no yes or no answer. 

The reason I have more respect for the board is that by getting rid of Warburton they've put the ball in their own court and will only have themselves to blame if we fail again.

Warburton wasn't backed to win 1st but it was evident he wasn't a good enough manager and bottled it 

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

Look at the money he spent in his last two jobs, he then took them both on massive winless runs in his last seasons with both before being sacked. He's not good enough imo and a cunt also. Not Rangers Class

The budget thing, again, is relative in a sense. I thought Palace made a mistake getting rid of him, purely because I don't know what you are meant to achieve there; I don't see anyone going there and doing a great deal better than him. I hope we get a young manager, with fresh ideas and a vision, and who is backed with the finances to come first.

1 minute ago, Willis said:

But it wasn't too evident, and as you point out we will never know. One thing we have to have learned from all of this is that we can no longer aim low in terms of investment; there will need to be far better players signed this summer, and the ambition of the whole club has to be to come first. Anything else and second and so on are irrelevant.

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Warburton got investment.

Was it as much as he wanted/expected that's another argument but he got enough investment to finish a comfortable second. You say 3-5 years but we should already be well into that by now and we're not simply because Warburton's recruitment last summer was shocking.

Fair enough I just have a different opinion - I thought he had the right 'philosophy' - but it seems he cracked under the pressure - but to think the process will be easy, purely budget based and 'all' we need is a good manager is, in my opinion, flawed. 

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

On what basis though? What has he done that makes you think he would be a good appointment?

Just think he's a solid manager someone that's worked in the epl for as long as he has can't be that bad.

Might not have done anything of note but I'd disregard that when it comes to considering him for our club. We all hope to be winning things again soon. That's not gonna change with whoever gets the job

Guest Lloyd72
13 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

The budget thing, again, is relative in a sense. I thought Palace made a mistake getting rid of him, purely because I don't know what you are meant to achieve there; I don't see anyone going there and doing a great deal better than him. I hope we get a young manager, with fresh ideas and a vision, and who is backed with the finances to come first.

Okay, he spent far more than any of the teams around him and took the team to a lower position than the year before and now Allardyce has been left a massive job to try and repair the damage Pardew left.