Consistent inconsistency

D'Artagnan

Apologies if this journey appears a tad confusing, I can assure you none of it is my doing. It starts with Rangers player Andy Halliday receiving a red card against Morton for a goal celebration which officials deemed had the potential to incite a riot. Further along the road we have a security guard gesturing a 5 - 1 sign whilst posing for a photograph with Hibs manager Neil's Lennon. A gesture the Edinburgh club described as "insulting" and which merited a complaint. Our journey ends at Ibrox with Neil Lennon aforesaid, gesticulating a GIRUY to the Rangers support during a match Police Scotland had expressed concern about. Despite all of the foregoing this incident was deemed neither insulting nor likely to incite a riot, apparently it could be categorised as "banter"

I have read and listened to several comments from bears in response to the Club1872 statement regarding Lennon's conduct. "Ill-advised" "Misjudged" as well as the suggestion it has deflected from other matters e.g. the very one-sided refereeing display. If any of you think Beaton's performance would have been subjected to forensic examination by the Scottish media you are clearly more optimistic than me.

For example. Keith Jackson's Monday column appeared to have been prepared based on the ongoing boycott of the Daily Record and the introduction of a camera to the Rangers press conference, both subjects which have attracted his ire. There is almost a suggestion of Rangers fans having temerity and audacity to choose to boycott a newspaper which has been shown to print lies about them. His own newspaper’s lies in respect of Rangers supporters is something Jackson's fails to mention in his column. Furthermore, as he sets out to compare our club to the North Korean regime, hinting that the presence of a camera to record proceedings is some kind of "sinister sub text" he neglects to mention its primary purpose is so that our manager can analyse his performance at press conferences. Those of us who had undergone even the briefest of media training will know such practice is commonplace.

The only sinister element at play here appears to be the very selective presentation of facts in a manner befitting a totalitarian despot regime.

There has also been the suggestion the club itself should have taken the lead on the response and highlighted the refereeing. I refrain from using the term “bad” or “abysmal” refereeing as it would suggest it was consistently bad across the board – it was anything but. But as someone who has been particularly critical of “dignified silence” from Rangers’ boards I find myself in a strange place. However, the issue of the refereeing performance is a matter for the club to pursue and they appear to be doing so courtesy of the appeal of Jack’s red card. Would it be appropriate to comment prior to the conclusion of the judicial proceedings which will determine the outcome of that appeal?

“Unlawful Tom” appeared to be concentrating on the “indignant” nature of Rangers fans regarding Beaton’s performance rather than offer any analysis of it. (As a side note, a few have contacted me regarding the initial response from the BBC regarding complaints. My suggestion would be to escalate if you are not satisfied with the response – if they refuse to do so I’d suggest addressing your concerns via Ofcom)

When Butcher/Woods/Roberts and McAvennie were deemed to have fallen foul of the law Sheriff Archibald McKay was unequivocal in his summation at the end of the trial.

“A large percentage of supporters are readily converted by breaches of the peace into two rival mobs. That they were not so transformed is no credit to you. You must have been aware of your wider responsibilities and you failed to discharge them”

There is a clear message within that summation of both the standards of behaviour and responsibility of those on the park. If you think Neil Lennon satisfied either on Saturday then your opinion is different to mine. A person does not require to be offended to recognise irresponsible, reckless and provocative behaviour.

Of course the easy option for Club1872 would have been to remain silent, to say nothing, to ignore all the foregoing.  And in doing so they would have fulfilled the brief provided recently by others :-

“Know your place H** scum”

It's great to have people like yourself D'Art who can articulate what we as a people know to be true.

The hypocrisy is astounding, it can only be one rule for us and one for the rest. There is too many examples to point out, but one I will is the finest imposed on clubs who have entered financial disaster. Dunfermline and Hearts were both not fined yet we were. Motherwell and Livingston were treated like a struggling family member with addiction problems, where we were just a blood lustre feast to them all. It honestly makes you sick, these people disregard fact, reason and logic when it comes to us, the hatred is that strong.

13 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

I don't believe we will win the appeal, I'll be happy when I'm proved wrong.

The appeal is irrelevant. Lennon, Stokes and McGregor should be cited retrospectively due to Beatons blatant disregard for the rules of the game. Anything other than that is a concerted cover up.

Just now, surfsup2 said:

As usual your correct and they do not like the cameras as it proves when they write there lies.

I did not know they were doing that but happy to hear we are fighting back.

100% correct and they don't have courage in their conviction to be held accountable for the lies they print, shitebags.

The club have obviously riled them up hence Jackson writing about it, well played by the club for a change.

This is a war we are in, poke the Bear often enough and it will bite, hope this is a sign of things to come.

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

Do you think the club will speak out after the appeal... Its a must IMO

14 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No 

You may be right CB (probably will be mate), but I definitely agree with KK and others that we absolutely MUST contest that performance on Saturday.

People live for the moment and they say that the last game is the worst this, or the best that , but in all honesty, it was the most bizarre refereeing I've personally seen in over 50 years of supporting The Famous. What happened on that park defied logic. I wouldn't say that the ref was a cheat, never ever thought that about a referee, but anyone as a neutral looking in from abroad, etc, would be excused for thinking just that. As I said, utterly bizarre and if the club do not contest this, then we are well and truly gubbed. This is yet another defining moment for them. They MUST act.

The messiah gets a phone call from the head of referees over a decision which cost them 2 points, nothing more or less as they had won the league 

Yet here we are 3 days later, no statement from Rangers, nothing from the SFA either and were already playing catch up thanks to the referee incompetence 

1 hour ago, Spliffy said:

It's great to have people like yourself D'Art who can articulate what we as a people know to be true.

The hypocrisy is astounding, it can only be one rule for us and one for the rest. There is too many examples to point out, but one I will is the finest imposed on clubs who have entered financial disaster. Dunfermline and Hearts were both not fined yet we were. Motherwell and Livingston were treated like a struggling family member with addiction problems, where we were just a blood lustre feast to them all. It honestly makes you sick, these people disregard fact, reason and logic when it comes to us, the hatred is that strong.

But our club say nothing . So we do only have ourselves to blame on many of the issues

31 minutes ago, Davie Mr Magic Cooper said:

You may be right CB (probably will be mate), but I definitely agree with KK and others that we absolutely MUST contest that performance on Saturday.

People live for the moment and they say that the last game is the worst this, or the best that , but in all honesty, it was the most bizarre refereeing I've personally seen in over 50 years of supporting The Famous. What happened on that park defied logic. I wouldn't say that the ref was a cheat, never ever thought that about a referee, but anyone as a neutral looking in from abroad, etc, would be excused for thinking just that. As I said, utterly bizarre and if the club do not contest this, then we are well and truly gubbed. This is yet another defining moment for them. They MUST act.

Totally agree mate, Ive seen some poor Refs over my too many years watching Rangers and occasionally they make a total howler of a decision. But that would be it one talking point, Ive never seen a Ref make so many bad decisions and plain ignore foul play from the other team as Beaton did on Saturday. 

Like you I hate to say cheat because if that's even close to the mark we make it as well just switch off the lights, but even if you say it was obvious he was biased in his decision making is that not cheating as well. 

I honestly don't know where we go from here, the club won't rock the boat and the SFA don't give a shit because it's us. 

Good article D, the thing that gets me is the 'that's taig like behaviour ' comments from some quarters when complaining about referees and Lennon. We, as a support,  have been through hell for the last five years, we should at least expect a fair crack of the whip from refs and the press now, or have we not been punished enough?

In reference to the final sentence to Dar'ts superb post . As always

It would have to be said . I think, it would have to be a deranged beggars fan indeed . If he believed, that we are still the establishment club.

Or indeed wasn't certain , that every avenue of authority  in Scotland is now under their control regards Scottish football .

That is why ,I think they sing this song with such gusto . Most of them know what has taken place these last 6 years .

Don't expect any let up of that old paranoia fable  . It has worked an absolute treat for them these last 30 years

And heaven forbid any bear acts like them , or even complains like they do . Oh no . Let's sit quietly by . We are Super RANGERS , No one likes us , we don't care.

Who cares what they do or say most bears will tell you .

Hopefully the club are now realising, we are in a war . And there is no turning back.    

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Totally agree mate, Ive seen some poor Refs over my too many years watching Rangers and occasionally they make a total howler of a decision. But that would be it one talking point, Ive never seen a Ref make so many bad decisions and plain ignore foul play from the other team as Beaton did on Saturday. 

Like you I hate to say cheat because if that's even close to the mark we make it as well just switch off the lights, but even if you say it was obvious he was biased in his decision making is that not cheating as well. 

I honestly don't know where we go from here, the club won't rock the boat and the SFA don't give a shit because it's us. 

I'd still like to believe no ref sets out to cheat. As worrying however and highly possible is he (they) now cannot officiate our games without bias as they are firmly aware of the inevitible overwhelming  backlash if they get it wrong (or right at times) in our favour before the game even starts. 

13 minutes ago, markem said:

I'd still like to believe no ref sets out to cheat. As worrying however and highly possible is he (they) now cannot officiate our games without bias as they are firmly aware of the inevitible overwhelming  backlash if they get it wrong (or right at times) in our favour before the game even starts. 

And if that is true then all those years of complaining and threats and accusations is biased, even going after the head of Referees for a stupid email that he didn't send to anyone and was just sitting in his inbox. 

Refs houses attacked family threatened. 

Well it looks to have worked treat and everybody is too scared of that convenient sectarian brush they use if anyone questions what the Hell is going on. 

19 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I go along with what you say, but I never actually said that it was obvious he was biased. What I did say was that his decision making was bizarre, take from that what you will. As you alluded to, it was strange that all of the bad decisions seemed to be against us rather than the ref just having a bad game all round.

He definitely fecked it up for us one way or another and we should be going for a possible 9 points this weekend against Hearts and possibly going top (the manky mob could/should be on 4 atm), instead of 6. What a boost that would have gave the team but it's all irrelevant now.

I see Beaton has got a Europa League match on Thursday and Dunfermline at the weekend. Does anyone know if the Dunfermline one is as a consequence of our game and demoted, or was he pencilled in to take the game regardless?

1 hour ago, NitshillBear said:

Only vaguely related to the OP as far as double standards are concerned, but compare the days and days of media pant-pishing and forensic analysis after Forrester wasn't sent off versus Dundee last season to the eerie silence after Stokes took two swipes at Tavernier.

You make an very salient point re Forrester.?

Well articulated points D'Art. Don't see the appeal being successful, nor do I see the club speaking out in its aftermath. The ref, or his officials( accomplices?), must have seen the initial incident (head motion) to send Jack off and so could hardly have missed Stokes grabbing him by the throat. To then deem this as not meriting a second yellow is imo unbelievable, forbye the fact an earlier direct red should have been shown.

The club has shown no appetite either in the past or recently for issuing statements critical of refereeing performances. Hopefully the vehicle of choice, Club 1872, continues to venture where the club apparently fears to tread. How much weight or consideration will be given to statements issued by a ''fans group'' remains to be seen. Very little i would posit. However, I do applaud their effort and recognize that it is better that they at least are representing the opinions of the fans, if not the club, on these matters as someone must comment upon what was at best dire officiating or at worst corrupt.

45 minutes ago, glasgow argyle said:

Personally i think the appeal re "jack" will fail.

I would have thought appealing Tavs yellow as he got booked for nothing would have had more chance..of being upheld.

Can 'yellows' be appealed,other than mistaken identity?

Regarding the referee being a cheat. 

What worries me is not the aspect of him being a taig. 

Must the bigger picture for me with regards to the whole independence thing. 

I reckon any referee who voted yes may or may not subconsciously go out there, surrounded by British flags and Rule Britannia being sung and turn the screw against us.