Walter being considered for return to Scotland manager's job

Bad Robot

3 minutes ago, RDFM said:

We need to go for him. 

He does a few personal appearances and I was at one a few years ago in which he made it quite clear he's retired.  In fact, he was linked with the Rangers job a few years ago and said something like 'I'm not looking for the job in any way, shape, or form'.  I can't see him stepping out of retirement to take on the Rangers job.  The Scotland job is part-time work and if he did want to get involved in a little football again it would probably be a good fit for him and there's a lot less pressure.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

How so? Half of your point was him not taking charge here.

Yes and you've ignored the main part of my argument about the way Scottish football has treated us, that was my opening and main part.

In regards to it being part-time football that doesn't matter, either as he's said loads he doesn't want another job in football and wants to enjoy his retirement.

He's also nothing to prove so if he's risking his legendary repuatation why do it for that mob but not us? 

He wasn't very hands-on for most of his second spell anyway - he let McCoist and McDowall take the training and manage during the cup games - he was more of a presence, an over-see'er and the gaffer with the final say. And it worked.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Yes and you've ignored the main part of my argument about the way Scottish football has treated us, that was my opening and main part.

In regards to it being part-time football that doesn't matter, either as he's said loads he doesn't want another job in football and wants to enjoy his retirement.

He's also nothing to prove so if he's risking his legendary repuatation why do it for that mob but not us? 

He wasn't very hands-on for most of his second spell anyway - he let McCoist and McDowall take the training and manage during the cup games - he was more of a presence, an over-see'er and the gaffer with the final say. And it worked.

I’d rather he didn’t take it but if he wants and takes the job which is just part time. Then I don’t really see the problem with it. He might see it as unfinished business.

Walter wouldn’t be able to do much here now either we have our whole starting central midfield out.

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

I’d rather he didn’t take it but if he wants and takes the job which is just part time. Then I don’t really see the problem with it. He might see it as unfinished business.

Walter wouldn’t be able to do much here now either we have our whole starting central midfield out.

Why would he see it as unfinished business? you are just making excuses for him should he be interested - he was a success last time he was Scotland manager and left the job with his stock high as it could be after an underwhelming time overall as Everton manager. 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

If he took that job it would be a slap in the face to the Rangers fans for more than one reason ... not just because of the way we've been treated by Scottish football but the fact that we need him back here desperately but don't persue it or pressure him into it because we assume he wants to enjoy his retirement away from football with nothing to prove.

He'd go right down in my estimation if he took that position on.

i agree. i will also have issues with the board if he goes to Scotland and it turns out we never approached him

I can't see Walter taking the Scotland manager job.    

What would be far more sensible for the SFA is to appoint Walter as a consultant to lead in interviewing and then appointing a Scotland manager.   His age and vast experience is far more suited to the job of advising rather than actually doing.

But then again when did the SFA ever do anything sensible in recent times.   

28 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Why would he see it as unfinished business? you are just making excuses for him should he be interested - he was a success last time he was Scotland manager and left the job with his stock high as it could be after an underwhelming time overall as Everton manager. 

If he had stayed I think he would have eventually taken Scotland to a big tournament I’d guess he thinks the same. He said himself he wouldn’t have left the job for anyone else.

What excuses? I already said I’d rather he didn’t take it.  

But if he wants to take it he should. Merely presuming why he would.

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

If he had stayed I think he would have eventually taken Scotland to a big tournament I’d guess he thinks the same. He said himself he wouldn’t have left the job for anyone else.

What excuses? I already said I’d rather he didn’t take it.  

But if he wants to take it he should. Merely presuming why he would.

No-one's taking Scotland to a big tournament - there's no way Walter Smith would consider that unfinished business.

A lot of people on here seem to have the impression that he owes us something. He owes us fuck all and has been an ambassador to our club. The notion that he would be fucking us over going to Scotland is ridiculous. Has anyone at Rangers even contacted him about coming back to us? Can't believe people on here would never forgive him for taking the national team job even after he already turned his back on his country for us. I would fully support him if he took the Scotland job.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

A lot of people on here seem to have the impression that he owes us something. He owes us fuck all and has been an ambassador to our club. The notion that he would be fucking us over going to Scotland is ridiculous. Has anyone at Rangers even contacted him about coming back to us? Can't believe people on here would never forgive him for taking the national team job even after he already turned his back on his country for us. I would fully support him if he took the Scotland job.

He does owe us nothing you are correct but that's in the context of him having to come back and be our manager in the sense of being pressured or guilt-tripped into it. Almost everyone to a man agree's let him enjoy his retirement but if you can't see how it would irk the support considering what we've went through with Scottish football since 2012 and yet you'd still support our greatest living Rangers taking up ranks with them and fully support it then your the unbelievable one here, no-one else. It's you that needs the reality check. 

23 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

This board wouldn't want someone of his stature rocking the boat. He is much bigger than them and fans would listen. They would be signing their own death warrant.

Stv running with this:

The SFA is set to make an approach to Walter Smith over the possibility of becoming the next Scotland manager.

It's understood Smith's name has been discussed at boardroom level. The former Rangers and Everton manager took charge of the national team between 2004 and 2007 before leaving the post to return to Ibrox as Paul Le Guen's successor.

Smith, who won 21 trophies across his two spells at Rangers, will now be spoken to about becoming Gordon Strachan's replacement as Scotland boss.

Other candidates believed to be under consideration are Alex McLeish, Steve Clarke and Slaven Bilic, among others.

Smith has been out of management for seven years but is one of the most successful Scottish managers in history. In addition to leading Rangers to silverware in Scotland, he also took the side to the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

As Scotland manager, he oversaw a rise of 70 places in the FIFA rankings winning seven and drawing five of his 16 games in charge.

The Scottish FA has resumed its search for a manager after failing to tempt Michael O'Neill from his position as Northern Ireland boss. After long-held interest, face-to-face talks were held with O'Neill last month before he declined the offer.

That failure was a factor in the departure of Stewart Regan from his role as Scottish FA chief executive. At a board meeting where the pursuit of O'Neill was discussed, it became apparent to Regan that he did not enjoy the full backing of the board, leading to his resignation with immediate effect.

Regan's departure means the sub-committee charged with identifying and recruiting the new manager is down to three people. Scottish FA president Alan McRae, vice-president Rod Petrie and Partick Thistle's Ian Maxwell are carrying out the search. 

27 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Turned his back on his country :lol: away and take yer face for a shite

I wouldn't be totally outraged if he took the job but I'd be disappointed in him, it would be a chance for someone to stand up and punish the sfa for the way they've treated Rangers which no one has done, it would be disappointing if he were to go after the way they've treated Rangers and if you can't understand that then your blind or you're at it

I'll never support Scotland again even if it were Walter in charge and the squad was filled with Rangers players. Fuck the national team