Our shooting.

LegendofCoop

It's lacking any power!

I don't want to focus on any negative after tonight, but I've noticed this in a few games now. We seem to want to just place a ball, rather than skelp it. Not sure if this is down to the players lacking real power (down to nerves?), or if it's deliberate (trying to pass it into the net). 

Morelos (through on the keeper first half), Jack (from edge of the box first half) and Ejaria second half. Prime examples. Shots were more like pass backs. The only one I saw leathering the ball was Tav near the end. 

Just now, Marky. said:

Hit the target so many times though, it was actually less frustrating to see it accurate and weak rather than completely wayward.

Aye, I'd much rather we hit the target (obviously) as opposed to big Coulibaly's effort that somehow managed to end up further back down the pitch than where he hit it from! :lol: However, it's also frustrating to see players getting into great positions and just try to pass it in. It's a small thing, but we really need to start scoring more and getting more power into shots is a good starting point.

19 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The laxk of support and link-up with Morelos is the worry.

He needs to let others do their job and stop chasing lost causes, which is probably why he chokes so many shots after running around like a loonball, he's fucked.

He needs to show composure and good positioning. Let the gaffer take those to task who don't supply him. That's how you keep your shape and rhythm and  be more effective.and not revert to the school boy stuff. Candias alone does enough work out in the right, without him wandering out there.

Running around with plenty grunt does not equal a good striker and far from it. For me he neither has the instinct nor the brain to deliver against a decent defence. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

He needs to let others do their job and stop chasing lost causes, which is probably why he chokes so many shots after running around like a loonball, he's fucked.

He needs to show composure and good positioning. Let the gaffer take those to task who don't supply him. That's how you keep your shape and rhythm and  be more effective.and not revert to the school boy stuff. Candias alone does enough work out in the right, without him wandering out there.

Running around with plenty grunt does not equal a good striker and far from it. For me he neither has the instinct nor the brain to deliver against a decent defence. 

This all day long BA. As big a wank as he is, I heard Shearer talk about the same with Lukaku last season when he was in a barren spell; strikers, especially lone strikers need to stay within the width of the 18yard box and let others do the work.  They’ll go long spells without the ball but they need to ignore the desire to move all over the pitch and stay in the area they will score goals from. That’s what their role is, not to put a shift in everywhere and then be posted missing when a ball comes in that area.  Morelos isn’t pacey enough to roam all over, perhaps Sadiq will be. 

Doesn’t matter really who plays, the team need to smarten quickly that they need to start converting chances, taking them during periods when we are on top.  The game last night should have been put to bed before the last 5mins. 

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If it wasn't for Morelos, we wouldn't be in the next round. He scored the goal last week and set up the goal last night. He ran the channels, held the ball up and for me, he was excellent and if it wasn't for McGregor, maybe jack,  he imo, would have been man of the match. 

I understand you've already made your mind up over Morelos and you won't change it, for whatever reason, but to talk shite to try and make your argument sound better,  just makes you come across as clueless and bitter towards him.

35 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

The system we play though Morelos is expected to run channels, hold up play etc.

When he’s running the channels the onus then falls up to the 3 behind him and either Jack or Coulibaly to get thereselves into box or around the box.

If he’s holding up play then it’s their job, particularly the CAM to be near or even go beyond him.

if we’re going 4-2-3-1 with Jack and Coulibaly then there’s enormous pressure on 3 in front to chip in with say 40/45 goals between them and Morelos to get at least 25 goals.

Can see this being a problem with players we’ve got.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The system we play though Morelos is expected to run channels, hold up play etc.

When he’s running the channels the onus then falls up to the 3 behind him and either Jack or Coulibaly to get thereselves into box or around the box.

If he’s holding up play then it’s their job, particularly the CAM to be near or even go beyond him.

if we’re going 4-2-3-1 with Jack and Coulibaly then there’s enormous pressure on 3 in front to chip in with say 40/45 goals between them and Morelos to get at least 25 goals.

Coulibaly gets himself into great positions but can't shoot to save himself ?

I was happy that the majority of our efforts were on target for a change. Jacks effort in the first half was brutal, it was literally set up for him to leather it, he probably thought if he got enough curve on it it would slide by the keeper because of the conditions but still. 

Big Coulibalys effort amazed me, turned into some pass though 

Agree with OP. I'm liking the way our defence has taken shape and the midfield shows encouraging signs. However there is still fuck all guile and quality in our final execution. The success of our season will depend on discovering that instinctive & ruthless edge in the final third otherwise we're back to dominating possession but struggling to get over the line in games.

10 hours ago, Marky. said:

Hit the target so many times though, it was actually less frustrating to see it accurate and weak rather than completely wayward.

We used to have so many shots in games with barely one of them hitting the target. Last night we improved on that. Coulibaly should've scored early doors from a volley 6 yards out but blazed it over. That would have put us on easy street. We still have a lot of work to do but at least we's hitting the target more often than not.

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

If it wasn't for Morelos, we wouldn't be in the next round. He scored the goal last week and set up the goal last night. He ran the channels, held the ball up and for me, he was excellent and if it wasn't for McGregor, maybe jack,  he imo, would have been man of the match. 

I understand you've already made your mind up over Morelos and you won't change it, for whatever reason, but to talk shite to try and make your argument sound better,  just makes you come across as clueless and bitter towards him.

Unsurprisingly, sounds exactly what you're doing.

Now, no need to get personal as it makes you sound clueless and bitter towards me.

If we could sell irony, we'd be billionaires. I love this place.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Unsurprisingly, sounds exactly what you're doing.

Now, no need to get personal as it makes you sound clueless and bitter towards me.

If we could sell irony, we'd be billionaires. I love this place.

Ignore the facts, fingers in the ears and move on...

I'll leave you to it.

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

There's no doubting how big a part Morelos has played so far this season and if he carries on in this vein he could be a very big player for us , but I've got to agree with BA here ( outside his last paragraph ) 

With us playing just him up front we seem to lack any presence in the box when he's chasing down defenders near the byline . If he does win the ball , he's no one to give it to . Now yes , you could argue why's the midfield not pushing up . I'd argue , leave it to the wingers ( Candeias , in particular is very good at it )  and leave Morelos in the box , who is the striker . 

The guy runs himself into the ground and I can't help but feel that a lot of that time it's because he's trying to do others jobs for them , hopefully that'll come with experience and once he learns to let other players do their own jobs , he'll be able to pace himself better and become an even better player .

1 hour ago, Moody Blue said:

This all day long BA. As big a wank as he is, I heard Shearer talk about the same with Lukaku last season when he was in a barren spell; strikers, especially lone strikers need to stay within the width of the 18yard box and let others do the work.  They’ll go long spells without the ball but they need to ignore the desire to move all over the pitch and stay in the area they will score goals from. That’s what their role is, not to put a shift in everywhere and then be posted missing when a ball comes in that area.  Morelos isn’t pacey enough to roam all over, perhaps Sadiq will be. 

Doesn’t matter really who plays, the team need to smarten quickly that they need to start converting chances, taking them during periods when we are on top.  The game last night should have been put to bed before the last 5mins. 

Exactly, but too basic for some.

More chances and goals will come if he stops wasting energy in chasing lost causes and reserves it for bursting the back of the net. He frustrates the fuck out of me.

Just now, gmcf said:

There's no doubting how big a part Morelos has played so far this season and if he carries on in this vein he could be a very big player for us , but I've got to agree with BA here ( outside his last paragraph ) 

With us playing just him up front we seem to lack any presence in the box when he's chasing down defenders near the byline . If he does win the ball , he's no one to give it to . Now yes , you could argue why's the midfield not pushing up . I'd argue , leave it to the wingers ( Candeias , in particular is very good at it )  and leave Morelos in the box , who is the striker . 

The guy runs himself into the ground and I can't help but feel that a lot of that time it's because he's trying to do others jobs for them , hopefully that'll come with experience and once he learns to let other players do their own jobs , he'll be able to pace himself better and become an even better player .

That's more down to the system we're playing i think mate. Doesn't mean Morelos is bad at it. Any lone striker gets isolated at times, the hold up play and running into channels creating space for the midfield to push up is important aswell. 

13 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Exactly, but too basic for some.

More chances and goals will come if he stops wasting energy in chasing lost causes and reserves it for bursting the back of the net. He frustrates the fuck out of me.

Don't think you understand how a lone striker system works.

It's almost as if you're looking for ways to pick faults with Morelos.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I don't actually see any system with Morelos. He simply runs around chsing every ball and getting drawn out of position, then heads for goal and too fucked have the composure to bury it.

He spent a lot of time wandering wide right which is the last thing that is needed with Candias there.

I simply doubt he plays to any aystem and has a school boy mentality in getting drawn to every ball.

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

It looks like you're looking for excuses for his shortcomings.

What shortcomings? The goal and assist that put us through the tie? The tireless running causing their defence to make mistakes? The hold up play, easing the pressure on the team and letting the defence push up? I could go on.

Completely agree with regards to shooting. 

On the point of Morelos, last night was one of his best games for Rangers. Our key problem is getting support to him. Ejaria did well at times in that respect, I feel Arfield may be the missing link