Helander

Chosen_One

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

Playing against the players of Feyenoord with the same mentality as himself he looked assured enough , he’s been bullied every spl game so far though , maybe my source that I was lambasted on here for passing on the info that he’s a diddy wasn’t to far away after all , only time will tell 

He's ranged from shite to average to exceptional in his handful of games. Those who were happy to slate info (clearly both saying it wasnt our own opinions) we both heard now seem to be making excuses with pitches, floodlights, the non international guy beside him. Anything but him, the experienced internationalist with Serie A background who should be head and shoulders above the other CHs. 😂

But as long as he's not conceded a goal..

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Of them all, Edmundson looks and plays most like an old fashioned big CB. 

After watching the other 3 get a chance, he deserves his chance against Cosgrove. 

I don’t think a game where we will be facing one of the best strikers in the league is the time or place to be giving a relatively untested player who has barely featured up to this point a chance. Katic back in for Helender for me.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think a game where we will be facing one of the best strikers in the league is the time or place to be giving a relatively untested player who has barely featured up to this point a chance. Katic back in for Helender for me.

Why not we played an untested (Helander) against Feyenoord. 

We have to fight fire with fire, they want to play the big lump of forward that gets stuck in then we play a brickshit house of a defender that loves to get stuck in

We won’t lose a goal again if we bring in Katic, but we haven’t lost a goal since we brought in Helander .

Goldson has not been great recently but since he joined us he has done very well overall.

The manager has got decisions to make and 3 clean sheets would deem those decisions to be correct in keeping the same back 5.

Fans favourites do not always mean you are the best at the club.

6 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why not we played an untested (Helander) against Feyenoord. 

We have to fight fire with fire, they want to play the big lump of forward that gets stuck in then we play a brickshit house of a defender that loves to get stuck in

Yes we should but it should be Katic, not Edmundson.

Helander is an experienced player and has played in a far better league than the SPFL.  

IMO our league and general approach to football in the Scottish leagues seems to be light years behind the quality in many other European leagues.     Games riven with opposition teams fearing they will lose and resorting to massively defensive approaches to games and with players indulging in on-field assault thuggery to test how far referees will let them get away with it then use that as a benchmark in games.      The SPFL game is Scotland is generally backward, retarded, stuck in a long-ago era and unwilling (and unable) to move out of that. 

Its really zombie football where - generally speaking - its the same predictable same old, same old in games and somehow this is accepted in Scottish football as being good enough.   It is what it is and it ain't changing or improving.     Its punt, kick it anywhere, hack, slice through players to cause wilful injury, and play on plastic pitches because clubs won't spend money on grass seed and so on.    Its dire on a repeated year after year basis.     The only brighter spots for Rangers, in the absence of any senior domestic trophies since 2010/11 has in the last couple of years been the European games.  Proper games.   Against (in the main) proper football teams who don't generally have a 'kick the fuck out of us' mentality to the game.  No wonder Gerrard and McAllister and the players look forward to European games.   Its not just about the extra money for the club or the prestige of European football.   Its closer - far closer - to playing football at a proper modern level.    Playing in European games must feel a bit like being let out on parole from the dark gorilla infested shit strewn confines of the domestic game.

Its probably not what Helander has been used to experiencing in recent years, if at all.      So Gerrard needs to get him acclimatised and adapted quickly if trophies are to be won under Gerrard, because he needs a really solid defence as the platform to go and win games and protect hard-won leads in games.     The game last night was another part of that process of adapting to the shite that is a shitty team with shitty over-aggressive tactics permitted by match officials and on a shitty plastic pitch with shitty refereeing where next to no protection is given when the opposition dishes out its assaults which are badged in the minds of their players and coaches as 'competitive challenges'. 

He either adapts quickly and goes on to thrive or it becomes too much for him.     Gerrard is by now presumably in a bit of a hurry to win something so its up to Helander to muster his extensive experience and adapt quickly.   That said, he might also be one of those lucky players who, despite appearing to be out of his depth in our game or too slow or too cumbersome or not competitive enough, still finds he is part of a defence that doesn't give many goals away when he is playing and where the side still wins.     Maybe he carries a Swedish pot of good luck with him.  Either that Gerrard still sees quickly realisable potential in him that many others do not.   Time will tell. 

20 minutes ago, Skelf said:

The longer katic spends on the bench the better he seems to get.

Except for the fact that we’ve looked far more comfortable defensively whenever Katic has played alongside Goldson and that’s not just recently, it’s been the case for over a year now.

39 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He's ranged from shite to average to exceptional in his handful of games. Those who were happy to slate info (clearly both saying it wasnt our own opinions) we both heard now seem to be making excuses with pitches, floodlights, the non international guy beside him. Anything but him, the experienced internationalist with Serie A background who should be head and shoulders above the other CHs. 😂

But as long as he's not conceded a goal..

Bang on mate , I knew how bad he’s been with how long Katic stayed in the team , a good 3 million pound defender would be in for Katic long before now , not that Katic has done anything  wrong just the fact Gerrard has a clear problem with him 

26 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

If your an opposition player you would definitely like to be up against helander than Katic/goldson 

helander is physically inferior than the other 2, slower , and loses a lot in the air

Would only play Helander in Europe at this time and sparingly in the league until he builds up some muscle 

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Except for the fact that we’ve looked far more comfortable defensively whenever Katic has played alongside Goldson and that’s not just recently, it’s been the case for over a year now.

Helander has played five games and is yet to concede

59 minutes ago, philiprfc said:

Cosgrove is nothing to fear btw, he's a big lump of wood.

So is Dykes but he managed to cause us massive problems last night.

If I was the bottler I’d be watching that game and employing the same tactics in the hope we are naive enough to play the same CB’s again. 

1 hour ago, OhW said:

I even googled it to check and still fucked it up.

I still think it’s stupid to compare the two though.  

Just making the point that it might be fair to have different expectations for an international 3.5M centre-back signed from Serie A to Jordan Jones on a free from Killie mate, given the name came up

16 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Statistics can be misleading.

Him and Goldson were both absolutely rotten last night. We were all over the place.

They can be, but they are also utterly vital. His job first and foremost is to stop opposition teams from scoring and so far he's had a 100% success rate. No doubting he was poos last night but we still came away with the win and a clean sheet. I'll take that with two central defenders who look like bombscares all day.

Don't think it's a coincidence either that barisic has had some of his best games for us with Helander beside him.

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

If I was the bottler I’d be watching that game and employing the same tactics in the hope we are naive enough to play the same CB’s again. 

If anyone had our measure last year it was Mcinnes and aberdeen.

Man Mark Tav, let the 3 central midfielders pass side to side, defend deep and try score from a set piece.

36 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Hate it when people say that, think it can apply to players we’ve seen little of but not ones who have played over 30 games for us. 

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

If anyone had our measure last year it was Mcinnes and aberdeen.

Man Mark Tav, let the 3 central midfielders pass side to side, defend deep and try score from a set piece.

Yep and I fear if we pay the same CB pairing as last night we will give him another piece of ammo to use against us. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

If I was the bottler I’d be watching that game and employing the same tactics in the hope we are naive enough to play the same CB’s again

What's naive about playing a centre-back pairing that have yet to concede a goal in four games together?

Archived