R.I.P. Joe Mason

Don54

Just seen this on  The    Rangers Archives F.B.   page   posted by Rick Russell.

Unfortunately more sad news this following the passing of Joe Mason. Our thoughts are with all of Joe’s friends and family.

A terrific servant to Rangers, Joe signed in the aftermath of our European success in 1972 in what was a period of transition at Ibrox. Already 32 years of age and with over 100 career goals to his name with Morton and Kilmarnock, there was a long term strategy in his arrival and within 12 months Joe became Rangers’ assistant trainer. A clever midfielder with an eye for goal, Joe made his first team debut on October 14th 1972 in a League victory over Motherwell at Fir Park. His first goal came the following week at Gayfield as Rangers defeated Arbroath.

Having worked under Willie Waddell at Kilmarnock, it was the then General Manager who announced in 1973 that Joe would replace Stan Anderson as trainer whilst also having a responsibility for overseeing the Reserve side. Over the next decade Joe would go on to demonstrate his coaching abilities achieving great success with both sides. Joe left the club in late 1983 along with manager John Greig after 11 years at Ibrox.

Absent Friends. 💙

Sad news indeed  , R.I.P.  Joe

16831381559_e44a672d80_b.thumb.jpg.f2943f747332a56153b38b1a59feac9a.jpg

Great player for Morton, scored lots, when he came to us was more of bit part player, remember him as being more of an old fashioned inside forward, rather than a midfielder. Just noticed his first game for us was an old firm game.

R.I.P. Joe

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Great player for Morton, scored lots, when he came to us was more of bit part player, remember him as being more of an old fashioned inside forward, rather than a midfielder. Just noticed his first game for us was an old firm game.

R.I.P. Joe

Don't believe everything you see on   Wikipedia  mate, as far as I can see he made his debut against Motherwell  14/10/72,  and  can't find any evidence  that he  featured in any match against them,  in the 19 games he played for us.

1 hour ago, Don54 said:

Just seen this on F.B.

Unfortunately more sad news this following the passing of Joe Mason. Our thoughts are with all of Joe’s friends and family.

A terrific servant to Rangers, Joe signed in the aftermath of our European success in 1972 in what was a period of transition at Ibrox. Already 32 years of age and with over 100 career goals to his name with Morton and Kilmarnock, there was a long term strategy in his arrival and within 12 months Joe became Rangers’ assistant trainer. A clever midfielder with an eye for goal, Joe made his first team debut on October 14th 1972 in a League victory over Motherwell at Fir Park. His first goal came the following week at Gayfield as Rangers defeated Arbroath.

Having worked under Willie Waddell at Kilmarnock, it was the then General Manager who announced in 1973 that Joe would replace Stan Anderson as trainer whilst also having a responsibility for overseeing the Reserve side. Over the next decade Joe would go on to demonstrate his coaching abilities achieving great success with both sides. Joe left the club in late 1983 along with manager John Greig after 11 years at Ibrox.

Absent Friends. 💙

Sad news indeed  , R.I.P.  Joe

16831381559_e44a672d80_b.thumb.jpg.f2943f747332a56153b38b1a59feac9a.jpg

Played in an era when a lot of players were Masons.

My father was good friends with Joe as I am with one of his sons Brian, Joe gave my brother and me the Ibrox tour the night the we opened the broomloan rd stand (4th of August 81 rings a bell) anyway I once played 7 asides against a team that consisted of Joe his sons and few of Joe's mates they beat us 8-6 and Joe scored 2 of the 8 he would have been in his 50s and was bragging about his brace to me 1 day, what he hadn't remembered was I scored 3 for my team..."I quipped, but Joe a good player would of scored a hat trick" it was the 1st time I ever saw him speechless, great days and another loss.

RIP JOE

2 hours ago, Don54 said:

Don't believe everything you see on   Wikipedia  mate, as far as I can see he made his debut against Motherwell  14/10/72,  and  can't find any evidence  that he  featured in any match against them,  in the 19 games he played for us.

best to believe what you read on the Rangers Archives page, the article was penned by Rick Russell.  🙂

3 hours ago, Don54 said:

Signed on October 9th and indeed his debut was the Motherwell game, funnily enough he played in every game up until the game on January 1st against Thistle where he didn’t play and didn’t feature much after that. Didn’t play against them in the first team.

9 hours ago, hammer93 said:

My father was good friends with Joe as I am with one of his sons Brian, Joe gave my brother and me the Ibrox tour the night the we opened the broomloan rd stand (4th of August 81 rings a bell) anyway I once played 7 asides against a team that consisted of Joe his sons and few of Joe's mates they beat us 8-6 and Joe scored 2 of the 8 he would have been in his 50s and was bragging about his brace to me 1 day, what he hadn't remembered was I scored 3 for my team..."I quipped, but Joe a good player would of scored a hat trick" it was the 1st time I ever saw him speechless, great days and another loss.

RIP JOE

Nice memory to have of good times. 

Archived