Rangers - alleged cover up - BBC rebutted by club

RangersMedia

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what’s the actual truth of the matter?? Last we heard on this a few years ago was that he was sacked and the police made aware of the allegation.  What are the bbc insinuating here? That we had a big jock style cover up?

i think as a matter of human decency the then custodian of the club either Holmes or Murray owe to everyone a truthful account of the way it was handled.  If it turns out to be bbc propaganda then seek legal advice.  If it’s true then a full frank apology should be offered.    Normally apologies come along with money, but I know it sounds harsh- the 1st time money is offered you would see more and more come out the wood work looking to make a few quid.

for me any financial settlements if required should be agreed in court. 

2 hours ago, Smile said:

The filths PR machine trying to involve us in their mess.

I think this will have the hand of Holicon.con somewhere behind the scenes for sure.

The thing is however much they try, they cannot make us look like them simply because there is no comparison, nothing to say we hid anything about this deviant, Neely.

I just hope our board has maybe been given a wee jolt here and realise how many of these people want to damage Rangers. Time to come out on the front foot and first of all take the BBC to court (if our legal team think we can win obviously) that would put a shot across their bows to start with. 

59 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The term "cover up", being used based upon a throwaway few lines in a Rangers News article is ridiculous, slanderous, and libellous. 

Let's be completely clear here, the boy was not molested but was subjected to wholly inappropriate behaviour by Neely. The boy rightly complained, and the club took the appropriate action by getting the parents involved, speaking to neely, and terminating his employment with the police being notified (most likely by a phone call). The parents and the police will then have been the ones who will have made the decision not to prosecute. 

The way Daly's article reads is that there was a shady encounter in a car by Souness and Smith before 'continuing the meeting' in the managers office.

The language used is amateur and is designed to read like our two greatest modern day managers and fine human beings were actively involved in covering up, where in all likelihood they will arrived at the stadium at the same time and asked them to just hop in. I

Context is something Mr Daly is leaving out of his report, and it throws mud against the real victims of abuse. 

:tu: 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

The constant drip drip of poison about Neely will stick to us. Even if we did the right thing, even if we have no case to answer here, 99% of Joe Public will read that headline and that’s what will be remembered and believed. 

Meanwhile rancid cellic and their multiple child rapes and ‘independent ‘ report ????

Job done Daly and the BBC. 

And that is why our board need to grow a set S, and put the record straight and keep repeating it. If they don't then what you say will definitely be the case IMO.

Can we no take the newspaper to court over defamation?

There is a victim involved but it looks like it’s nothing to do with Rangers, and if this newspaper is trying to suggest there is without real evidence then perhaps it’s time to take our gloves off and dip our fists in bits of broken glass.

I’m fed up of celtic getting away with harbouring pedos at their club and not doing anything about it while trying to deflect anything they can onto us.

Its about time we stood up for ourselves. There is more than one victim here.

Daly shied away from going after Kelly and McGinn during his 1st programme so I’d like to think he’s done his job and hounded them both for statements or interviews as should any lawyers pursuing claims so any info from them may be privileged pending the court cases concluding (criminal and civil).

If Daly is doing his job then he should also be hounding WS, GS, the 2nd coach with the outburst, the writer and editor of the Rangers news article and the boys parents for statements and interviews. Again this also may be currently privileged information.

I also think Daly and Police Scotland should also be following up on Neely’s work history to see where he went after us and to enquire if there were anymore allegations. I think this would be right thing to do. 

2 hours ago, heathen fish boy said:

There is no way he would have turned a blind eye,he was very stringent about things in his time at the club,part of why he was referred to as Herr Hood by some during his tenure as some may remember 

Heard plenty of stories that paint him as a very arrogant man and not someone who it was easy to approach but everything he did he did for the benefit of Rangers. That was his only concern. Someone like that doesn't hide what Neely did because concealing it could have caused us no end of problems.

9 minutes ago, Iggy666 said:

It's quite telling that it's only the BBC reporting on this 'cover up' at Rangers. Nothing on sky or any other media outlet. Rancid organisation.

Evening Times also reported but I never even read it as I knew the obsessed cybertaigs would be all over the comments.

55 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I think this will have the hand of Holicon.con somewhere behind the scenes for sure.

The thing is however much they try, they cannot make us look like them simply because there is no comparison, nothing to say we hid anything about this deviant, Neely.

I just hope our board has maybe been given a wee jolt here and realise how many of these people want to damage Rangers. Time to come out on the front foot and first of all take the BBC to court (if our legal team think we can win obviously) that would put a shot across their bows to start with. 

100% Bud:tu:

6 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Rangers should be taking legal action and if they aren’t we should demand to know why.

Protecting the Rangers brand is one of the many important duties of the board.  They should nip this in the bud and then go on the attack.

I have worked with abused children for over 20 years- and each new case I deal with, whether it's sexual abuse, physical abuse or neglect, makes me sick to the stomach, even after all this time.  This sort of adverse childhood experience has a massive effect on the child for the rest of their life- strong evidence shows that it actually shortens their lives.  So never forget that by far the most important issue is helping the victims of abuse- and as horrific as it may sound, that comes before anything  ,even punishing the abusers. Of course we have to punish the abusers and more importantly stop them from wrecking the lives of more children, but we  always have to put the children first.  That is why I absolutely hate it when some of our supporters try to weaponise the abuse of children to point score against the Taigs. Please believe me that that can only lead to further hurt  for some of the victims. I am now sick that we will have a tit for tat campaign with those from the east using the same tactics against us.  Lastly, no matter what you believe about this story, please never attack the victim-  you have no idea what the real circumstances are and what trauma has been experienced- each child is different and will react differently to different levels of abuse.   It is NEVER right for the abuse of the most vulnerable members of society to become a chant at a football game to score some sort of stupid points against the opposition- we are better than that.

Sorry if it’s in the thread already. I’ve just read an article in the Scotsman I think and it says Neely was at Hibs and they found out he molested kids there in 1986 but covered it up. He was then free to move to Rangers with his reputation a secret when this incident happened.  

13 minutes ago, Ladytonbear said:

I have worked with abused children for over 20 years- and each new case I deal with, whether it's sexual abuse, physical abuse or neglect, makes me sick to the stomach, even after all this time.  This sort of adverse childhood experience has a massive effect on the child for the rest of their life- strong evidence shows that it actually shortens their lives.  So never forget that by far the most important issue is helping the victims of abuse- and as horrific as it may sound, that comes before anything  ,even punishing the abusers. Of course we have to punish the abusers and more importantly stop them from wrecking the lives of more children, but we  always have to put the children first.  That is why I absolutely hate it when some of our supporters try to weaponise the abuse of children to point score against the Taigs. Please believe me that that can only lead to further hurt  for some of the victims. I am now sick that we will have a tit for tat campaign with those from the east using the same tactics against us.  Lastly, no matter what you believe about this story, please never attack the victim-  you have no idea what the real circumstances are and what trauma has been experienced- each child is different and will react differently to different levels of abuse.   It is NEVER right for the abuse of the most vulnerable members of society to become a chant at a football game to score some sort of stupid points against the opposition- we are better than that.

Emm, NO!

The taigs are the ones doing the batting. Our board have a duty to protect the name of the club.

The fans have their opinion on wtf is going on.

We are all aware of the sensitivities and I don't get your bringing up chanting. Suss to say the least.

Now fucking behave yourself.

1 hour ago, Howsitgoing said:

The most concerning part in my opinion is the comment from Martin Henry stating that the small extract from Rangers view can only be construed as an attempt by Rangers to cover up the full reasons on why he was sacked. If this is then added into his report SFA has no other option but to punish us. 

This will stick and Rangers statement so far isn’t enough to prevent it from doing so. I would hope IPSO has also been contacted and lawyers are looking into taking the BBC to court for slander. 

Henry has been led down a path here with a set line of questioning by the journalists and has fallen right into the trap. Henry needs to be asked what institution didn’t follow up with due care as Rangers have said they contacted the Police. Henry seems to be taken the bbc article at face value without evening establishing facts which shows him as highly unprofessional and probably should have said no comment especially if he’s still writing a report.

Martin Henry said the article was "concerning," and was "new information" that his review had not previously been aware of. 

He added: "It would concern me if any institution knew that somebody presented a potential risk to young people and didn't follow it up with due care. And from what I've read, that appears to be the case. 

"I can only construe it could well be that this was a public relations attempt to just explain Mr Neely's departure and to do it in a way that was as less compromising as possible."

4 minutes ago, theblueskyeman said:

Sorry if it’s in the thread already. I’ve just read an article in the Scotsman I think and it says Neely was at Hibs and they found out he molested kids there in 1986 but covered it up. He was then free to move to Rangers with his reputation a secret when this incident happened.  

The hibs guys said it on camera while being interviewed by Daly for his programme 

20 minutes ago, Ladytonbear said:

I share both your work experience (albeit a shorter time) and your sentiments 

👍

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

Henry has been led down a path here with a set line of questioning by the journalists and has fallen right into the trap. Henry needs to be asked what institution didn’t follow up with due care as Rangers have said they contacted the Police. Henry seems to be taken the bbc article at face value without evening establishing facts which shows him as highly unprofessional and probably should have said no comment especially if he’s still writing a report.

Martin Henry said the article was "concerning," and was "new information" that his review had not previously been aware of. 

He added: "It would concern me if any institution knew that somebody presented a potential risk to young people and didn't follow it up with due care. And from what I've read, that appears to be the case. 

"I can only construe it could well be that this was a public relations attempt to just explain Mr Neely's departure and to do it in a way that was as less compromising as possible."

Rangers don’t challenge this in an adequate way then he will create a situation where celtic and Rangers are equals in failure to protect kids from paedos. 

This report will now be published this year according to him, the timing isn’t irrelevant. 

Archived