Forgotten(?) Great Euro nights.

Redwhiteandblue

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dee9 said:

The night we played bayern off the park in Munich was unreal....came away with nothing that night. 

Still gutted 

Aye when the Bayern goalkeeper(forgotten his name) effectively ruined Michael Mols career.  Not that it was intentional but he was playing tremendously before that game! 

9 minutes ago, gersfc86 said:

Aye when the Bayern goalkeeper(forgotten his name) effectively ruined Michael Mols career.  Not that it was intentional but he was playing tremendously before that game! 

I don’t think Kahn was ever at fault tbh.

20 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Don't know if forgotten is the correct word, but certainly lesser spoken about victories in Europe for the famous.

I'll start us off... Genuinely couldn't remember us playing against Leitizi in this match, but hey-ho. Cracking players like Anelka and Ronaldinho up against the might of our own superstar- Mauruce Ross!! Think this was the game that made us go after Arteta (just imagine how much PSG would want for him now?) And a cameo from Poccicinno's hair cut.

Can you guess what game it is yet?

Here you go...

any other great nights anyone can think of that don't get the same nostalgic looks that other great European nights get anyone can think of? I've got us started off.

How similar is the ending "with heart in hand....." opposition misses penalty - just like the celtic penalties a few years back now.

4 hours ago, gersfc86 said:

Oliver Khan was the cunt that took him out. Was clearly an accident, but a keeper shouldn't have been anywhere near that part of the pitch. 

What could've been...

14 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Defeated a side that was the backbone of the full West German team who won the World Cup 1974

one of my all time fav nights at Ibrox 

Well before my time, but was that not the same night that Glasgow hosted the 2 European competitions semifinals on the same night?

14 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Defeated a side that was the backbone of the full West German team who won the World Cup 1974

By the way, that is unreal footage that you have posted, possibly the best I've ever seen posted on here??? 

I now know why there is a pair of Willie Johnston's (sp) boots in our trophy room.  He looked unbelievably good in that video there. Skinned 5 world cup winners and cleared 2 3rds of the pitch at the same time 🤣🤣

That was amazing, thank you. 👍👍

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah.

My old man always says that most Rangers fans got to the pub in time to see Dixie Deans miss his penalty in the shootout.

My dad and I made it home from the game in time to see it on the telly ...... still brings a smile to my face.  

Oh and I never tire of telling this.  These cunts were so confident of progress that many booked to go to the final.   When my mates and I were in AT Mays  paying for our Barca  trip there were tarriers in getting refunds....... we never said anything of course:whistle::rofl::whistle:

10 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

My dad and I made it home from the game in time to see it on the telly ...... still brings a smile to my face.  

Oh and I never tire of telling this.  These cunts were so confident of progress that many booked to go to the final.   When my mates and I were in AT Mays  paying for our Barca  trip there were tarriers in getting refunds....... we never said anything of course:whistle::rofl::whistle:

🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, heathen fish boy said:

First Scottish side to win on Italian soil that night 

Brilliant shout mate. I forgot this game until now. How fucking bad was Litizi? Guy looked like an outfielder in goals🤣🤣

That team was horrendous.  Thank fuck Sir Walter came back and turned it around.  

19 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not to mention they provided more than half of the West German team that lifted the European Championship only 2 months later . 

6 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

By the way, that is unreal footage that you have posted, possibly the best I've ever seen posted on here??? 

I now know why there is a pair of Willie Johnston's (sp) boots in our trophy room.  He looked unbelievably good in that video there. Skinned 5 world cup winners and cleared 2 3rds of the pitch at the same time 🤣🤣

That was amazing, thank you. 👍👍

And for the anoraKs on here - there were 155,000 people at the two games n Glasgow that evening !!

European Cup

celtic Williams; Craig, McCluskey; Murdoch, McNeill, Connelly; Johnstone, Dalglish, (Deans), Macari, Callaghan, Lennox

INTER MILAN Vieri; Bellugi, Fachetti; Oriali, Guibertini, Burgnich; Jair, Bedin, Bertini, Mazzola, Frustalupi.

Referee

R Glockner (East Germany)

Attendance 75,000.

Cup-Winners' Cup

Rangers McCloy: Jardine, Mathieson: Parlane, Jackson, Smith; McLean, Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald, Johnston

BAYERN MUNICH Maier; Hansen, Breitner; Schwarzenbeck, Beckenbauer, Roth; Schneider, Zobell, Muller, Hoeness, Koppenhoffer

Referee

F Franceson (Italy)

Attendance 80,000

Hansen was the odd player out - neither Scottish nor German -- he was a Dane. 

Archived