Rangers under no pressure to sell star players

jackrfc95

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1442356-ross-wilson-Rangers-under-no-pressure-to-sell-star-players/

Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson has ruled out the departure of key players in January, insisting the club aren't under any pressure to move on prize assets.

The Ibrox side forecast they will need another £10m in investment before the end of the season after announcing an annual loss of £11.3m.

Alfredo Morelos has been linked with a move away from Govan during the winter window having netted 22 times already this season.

But Wilson, who has moved from Southampton to replace Mark Allen as Rangers' sporting director, categorically denied the suggestion the club could be forced to move on star men.

Asked if key players such as Morelos would still be at Ibrox come the season end, he said: "Yes (they will), we want our best players to stay here as long as they can.

"Like every club in world football, there comes a point when players move on for a variety of reasons.

"We're no different to that but that's certainly not on the horizon for January."

He added: "I was speaking to Steven about this at the weekend, he's been well-quoted already.

"First and foremost, the first team has a number of players who could be interesting for other clubs as the club is in a significantly better place than it was before.

"But holding onto those players for as long as we can is important to us.

"Clearly players may reach a point in the future where they go somewhere else but keeping our key players for as long as possible is important to us."

The role is to lead the football department, at a club of this magnitude ultimately it's about making as many areas of the football club excellent.

Ross Wilson on his new role as Rangers sporting director.

Wilson revealed he previously turned down an approach from the Light Blues to continue his work with Southampton as he was only two-and-a-half years into his spell with the Saints.

The former Falkirk supremo said he eventually decided to accept Rangers' call, though, after seeing the development of the Govan outfit.

Wilson continued: "It was always going to be a difficult decision, I was sitting in one of the best jobs in the country at a club I loved being a part of.

"It was a big decision, one I felt I had to make and wanted to make this time.

"The thing that has been important to me is a real understanding within the club about exactly what this role is about.

"The assurances for me were really an understanding across the club as to what the role is about and what I'm here to do, how I'm going to work with Steven.

"There was no point of me coming here if that wasn't a relationship Steven and I think could work.

"I'm not the chief scout, I'm not the head of recruitment.

"The role is to lead the football department, at a club of this magnitude ultimately it's about making as many areas of the football club excellent.

"We're not going to do that overnight, we need to strive for improvement all the time."

A lot may depend on the next two games in Europe. A win in Europa and winning the group and getting to the last 32 is worth a lot of money. As much as I want Kamara to stay, if 10M is the asking price, it makes sense to sell. We can't keep everyone for ever.

Just now, TopCat said:

Good to hear the club officially reassure the fans that Morelos in particular won't be moving on in January........... he can go in the summer with a league winners medal on his cv and our best wishes - wherever he goes.

Why have we accepted he’s going in the summer? We all thought the same last winter and summer tbf.

if and when we win the league that puts us in the CL

Morelos has come across as a football player who wants to win things and try his luck at the top level, rather than do an Anelka (example) and chase the bucks.

you never know he could be here for 56

1 hour ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Why have we accepted he’s going in the summer? We all thought the same last winter and summer tbf.

Morelos has come across as a football player who wants to win things and try his luck at the top level, rather than do an Anelka (example) and chase the bucks.

Because Morelos has said countless times (and as recently as a fortnight ago) now that he wants to play in a higher quality of league and the form he’s in is only going to make it more likely that clubs from leagues of a higher quality will come in for him. 

I don’t want him to go anywhere but he has ambitions above playing for us and he’s never hidden them.

I get why he decided to eventually come to The Rangers .... but in all honesty his take on the role is no different from any one of our support who also want .... if not demand .... "excellence" .... and is obvious.

His relationship with SG has to be on the same level or there would be no reason for him to come to our Club ..... again this is pretty obvious.

Bit of a non story from the usual suspects .... who continue to throw in their wee snide remarks so as to highlight our present financial status.

I just hope RW puts our money where his mouth is and delivers the necessary talent our first team need to excel presently and in the future in his time with our Club.

Can't feel overly confident with people who come to The Rangers with glowing CV's and assumed high level experience in the role .... yet who still get their " It will take time" and "it will not happen overnight" spoilers into an otherwise positive conversation .... that in my mind .... reduces that positivity and confidence in the person chosen for the post.

I say the above because I have never been a fan of a DOF.... and would rather the money was spent on having a top class scouting team  .... but I know that this position is now the "modern" approach in bigger clubs and hope it works for our Club.

🇬🇧

Nothing would please me more than to see him play in the CL with us next season.......... but if I'm honest , I think his heart is set on a big move down south to the EPL - sooner, rather than later -  so I can't see it happening mate.

It puts us in the qualifiers of the CL where we will more than likely be unseeded every round. 

2 hours ago, HuistraHairDo said:

I think he’ll be off end of the season mate but like you say the lure of a crack at the CL might just keep him a bit longer.

Depends on who’s in for him really, if it’s top six in England I think he’ll be off regardless if we negotiate the CL qualifiers or not. 

15 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I think he’ll be off end of the season mate but like you say the lure of a crack at the CL might just keep him a bit longer.

Depends on who’s in for him really, if it’s top six in England I think he’ll be off regardless if we negotiate the CL qualifiers or not. 

He would be mental not to accept an offer from a top six club in England. The problem we have to worry about is what price tag we will demand.

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

A lot may depend on the next two games in Europe. A win in Europa and winning the group and getting to the last 32 is worth a lot of money. As much as I want Kamara to stay, if 10M is the asking price, it makes sense to sell. We can't keep everyone for ever.

It’s not worth a huge amount to he honest. It’s €500k additional prize money for reaching L32 then obviously an additional home gate. 

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

It’s not worth a huge amount to he honest. It’s €500k additional prize money for reaching L32 then obviously an additional home gate. 

I thought it was 500k for a win?  I calculated it at around 4M to date but I could be way off base if that is not the case.

16 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Sobering when you see that compared to the Champions League. Makes it all the more important that we qualify for it.

Looks like we've got to the stage where we are solvent and in a reasonably financially stable position.  And our assets in player value have built up nicely, and potential income from European games more assured on a regular basis. 

Time for  Davie King to get chasing a big investment so we can keep Morelos and build a decent squad for next year's  Champions League ?

p074n5h4.jpg

43052_saudiroyalscopy_1540390101853.jpg

article-58a18514dfd6d.JPG

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I believe this to be the case as well. Same kind of scenario when we signed Kent, had we not made it past Warsaw I don't think we would signed him! 

Kamara is a good player and I rate him but 10 million would be good business. 

Champions League!

We'll be lucky if we every see a Champions League qualifier again.

Some deluded folk on here.

Big Mick, Hummel and Elite Sports will soon be knocking on the door looking for the money they have been shafted out of, no point handing those people a bag of worthless shares and telling them to be on their way.

Archived