CB partnership

jjbscotty12

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

That's not a bad post mate but fuck me, you sure do have a lot of spare time!

I am working from home at the moment as I have ruptured my achilles and need an operation, so find myself looking into stuff like this a lot more lol

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as others have said we lacked composure and concentration when 2-1 up and got hit by a counter.

that lies at the feet of gerrard as he gies the team instructions to sit that high up the park. and the person who lost possession.

we live and learn.

regarding helander i am confident in the coming months he will be such a formidable player. he is another like davis and defoe who when they signed had missed a huge chunk of games and such with their previous club or parent club.

11 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Goldson is not good enough to play for us. No harm to the lad but how he played at Brighton in the championship is beyond me. 

He's bang average at best. I certainly expected better for a 3million outlay

When you look at the scrutiny the 3m spent on Helander has had from many including myself you have to wonder why the same figure being spent on Goldson hasn’t received the same attention. 3m we’ll never see back IMO

28 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Goldson is chronic, he’s good at winning headers and he has passion but that’s where the positives end for me 

Katic or Edmundson over him all day long for me 

We haven't really seen him properly tested so can't see why you could possibly say that, heard similar about Polster being a better option than Tav recently as well which is nonsense. I think Goldson has definitely struggled at times this season but he's far from chronic.  

12 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

When you look at the scrutiny the 3m spent on Helander has had from many including myself you have to wonder why the same figure being spent on Goldson hasn’t received the same attention. 3m we’ll never see back IMO

Goldson hasnt received the scrutiny IMO because at the time when we signed Helander I dont think anyone would have said we needed to spend £3-4m on a CB.

If we had to sell Goldson just now we would comfortably make money on him.

Prone to the odd mistake but by far our best all round CB.

4 hours ago, Smile said:

I just think we have gone 2-1 up we should have not been flying away up the park not so soon after a great goal we should have sat compact and kept the ball a bit, its always dangerous when you just score.

You are correct but that's Gerrards call , he'd just given a rousing speach by all accounts on how we must be more positive and confident , and his captain is leading by example . While Gerrard and his staff must pull the reins in while we are in front imo , Gerrard probably thinks we're better on the offensive but that second goal isn't Tav's fault.  Despite our central defence showing the mobility of a tree if you're looking for a scapegoat Jack's the biggest culprit imo for he gets caught on the ball with a bad touch in midfield to lose possession. 

24 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

:lol: 

Because he was superb until Christmas period last year, and after a bad month spell has been good for us. 

5 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

You are correct but that's Gerrards call , he'd just given a rousing speach by all accounts on how we must be more positive and confident , and his captain is leading by example . While Gerrard and his staff must pull the reins in while we are in front imo , Gerrard probably thinks we're better on the offensive but that second goal isn't Tav's fault.  Despite our central defence showing the mobility of a tree if you're looking for a scapegoat Jack's the biggest culprit imo for he gets caught on the ball with a bad touch in midfield to lose possession. 

It was stupid of us the players on the park should have known to sit in and take the heat out the game but I agree Gerrard should have been more involved, was like a comedy goal at the end Jack made a mistake but Helander and Goldson should have stopped it..

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

:lol: 

Because he was superb until Christmas period last year, and after a bad month spell has been good for us. 

Honestly think he’s been a bomb scare since Worrall was introduced into the team last season but everyone will see it differently I suppose 

52 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

as others have said we lacked composure and concentration when 2-1 up and got hit by a counter.

that lies at the feet of gerrard as he gies the team instructions to sit that high up the park. and the person who lost possession.

we live and learn.

regarding helander i am confident in the coming months he will be such a formidable player. he is another like davis and defoe who when they signed had missed a huge chunk of games and such with their previous club or parent club.

Under Gerrard the team always plays a high pressing game.  I can’t remember us ever sitting back and defending a lead.  That’s not a criticism either I like the high press.  The more teams open up and try to attack us the more likely we are to catch them out.

Facing play and doing the bread and butter stuff they're fine together. If Helander, especially, gets dragged out and if faced with a attacker who is going to run at him he is absolutely dire . Don't think I've ever seen a CB that takes so long to move. Most of the time he gets away with it but if he was targeted against better sides/players they could have a field day.

Is there something wrong with Goldson that if he rests up for too long he's fucked? Seems undropable regardless of performances or rotation?

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You would move on a player that will if looked after properly make a serious amount of cash for us  

How you doing Mr Bain. 

Read my post properly...I didn't say I would move Katic on. I think Katic should be playing. I said if i were Katic, no professional footballer wants to sit on the bench all season - esp not someone as good as Katic. Its a case of use him or lose him.

3 hours ago, writingranger said:

I tend to feel we lose most goals from losing the ball from an attacking position and trying to make passes in tight areas at the wrong time.

Feyenoord did press like fuck last night, closed us down and wouldn’t let us settle

Helander makes up for lack of pace with good positioning. On the whole we haven't conceded  to many goals like last night's second, where there was just to much space on behind us. Out of the two I prefer Helander and wouldn't mind seeing high beside Katic for a couple of games. 

4 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Big Katic must be due back in the starting line up 

I disagree because I think our current two are the right options. However, Gerrard looked utterly disgusted at the second goal so a change may be imminent. The fact Edmundson made the bench and not Katic doesn't bare well. Personally, I think they are all very capable.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I disagree because I think our current two are the right options. However, Gerrard looked utterly disgusted at the second goal so a change may be imminent. The fact Edmundson made the bench and not Katic doesn't bare well. Personally, I think they are all very capable.

He’s been treated very poorly since he signed mate in my opinion ,he’s been constantly left out for inferior players , especially last season 

Just now, Cedrick said:

He’s been treated very poorly since he signed mate in my opinion ,he’s been constantly left out for inferior players , especially last season 

Absolutely. I 100% agree. He and Edmundson may very well be the future but it is a position where experience counts especially in Europe. How you get experience is another debate? If he played on Sunday, I would feel rest assured.

Just now, bluenoz said:

Absolutely. I 100% agree. He and Edmundson may very well be the future but it is a position where experience counts especially in Europe. How you get experience is another debate? If he played on Sunday, I would feel rest assured.

We’ve just agreed I’m no having that 😡😂

Archived