Nico is the answer

lerxst

It is not a coincidence that the defence looks the part again . Since Katic has come back in gives more confidence than Helander who is a good centre back but think Goldson was used to being the senior centre and mentoring Katic . Don't like seeing players getting injured but when Helander went knowing Katic was coming back in was a major bonus, He is faster and braver and has to keep the jersey this time. Well done to the TEAM for making life at home and work a pleasure .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy with Katic back in the side .... for obvious reasons ...... we now have four good reliable centre backs to keep the defence strong .... whatever the combination. 

The last few games with Nico back in the side have upped the competition now .... and it will be up to the others to up their games to get into the side ..... all in all .... a happy position to be in.

As long as he stays on form .... there will be a lot of happy Bears out there.

:UK:

The header at the weekend was reminiscent of some of the headed goals Gough and Butcher used to score for us. We were accustomed to having a threat from set pieces but it feels like a long long time since we had anyone who can put his head through a ball like Katic. We look like we can do something from set pieces again which is massive as the weekend proved. Helander is also a decent player, but I think Katic is more suited to our league than Helander. He is stronger and quicker, although they are both good in the air. The guy is also a warrior though. I love the passion I saw from him and Barisic at the weekend. Regardless, we are lucky to have decent competition for places again. 

2 hours ago, lerxst said:

It is not a coincidence that the defence looks the part again . Since Katic has come back in gives more confidence than Helander who is a good centre back but think Goldson was used to being the senior centre and mentoring Katic . Don't like seeing players getting injured but when Helander went knowing Katic was coming back in was a major bonus, He is faster and braver and has to keep the jersey this time. Well done to the TEAM for making life at home and work a pleasure .

If he loses his place when Helendar gets fit, I'm going to be seriously pissed with Gerrard.  Katic has more than proven he should be first pick. Maybe even over Goldson.  

Still pissed he missed so much of last season cause of that waster from Forrest!!

I always thought that with his lean build - Katic would have made a brilliant striker.

During his lengthy career, Derek Johnstone played in 9 out of 10 outfield positions.

More recently, I can only really think of Lee McCulloch switching between defence and forward, although both Halliday and Wallace played LB and Left Midfield. Even these days are now a few years old.

It begs the question - are today's players "typecast" into one position? Might be worth discussing in another thread if enough interest.

Helander will come back in, esp in Europe  because he has serie A experience and is a full international,  experience is key, and also because as a left sided defender he brings better balance, Niko is improving all the time, I haven't seen the lapses in concentration he was guilty of before and he is going to become a superb defender, love the desire he plays with but he still young and still learning.

People who want George in for the sake of clearly dont see what Goldson brings to the team, some of his passing switching the play to either flank are exquisite.

we have 4 quality cb's at the club we're blessed there, I'm confidant all 4  can do a job for us when called upon.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Not so sure now. Katic has producer and Gerrard has spoken about you have possession of the shirt it’s up to you to keep it.

Katic has done that.

Talking to the media pish. That’s why Stewart doesn’t get a sniff even when he impresses. That said there is nobody in the squad talking out of turn about not being in the team which shows a great team/squad spirit and togetherness.

goldson is class. his progression has been excellent from when he signed for us. he could have stayed with brighton and waited for his chance in the premier league.

katic and barisic in the same team has to happen more. amazing talents and best friends. things like that matter in football. If that means helander does not get as many games then so be it, although i am a fan of the big swede.

Archived