REACTIONS | Steven Gerrard/Joe Aribo | Rangers 2-0 Stranraer

RockwellGers

11 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Doesn’t miss them and hit the wall, well said Stevie. 

He is not chuffed and rightly so, in his head he had the fringe players bursting a bollock running Stranraer ragged and winning by a hatful whilst being pleasing on the eye, the reality was somewhat different and he knows it.

Fair enough our squad is bloated but it’s bloated with very average players. Hopefully SG has seen enough to realise that whilst we need to move people on we definitely need to recruit better options. Our bench frequently provides zero impact, bringing on Ojo, Barker, etc is absolutely pointless. 

Said it for a while now we have a good first eleven but the overall squad is full of mediocre and even very poor footballers that we need to get shot of and add more quality if we are going to keep on fighting on all three fronts including Europe.

I think these games are always a little tough and misleading. Some players will be rusty and there will also be players who have barely played in about 4 months. You then have a team sitting in all night and when there are so many changes it can upset the rhythm. It's easier to have your strongest 11 and ease in 1 or 2 but 7 changes makes it a bit more tricky, regardless of who you're playing.

I think those are reasons rather than excuses but of course we need to concede the level of opposition and the fact we were at home. It should have been more comfortable and pleasing on the eye. We're through and that's all that matters but obviously we were hoping for a bit more. I don't think this will have any bearing on Wednesday though. We'll be ready.

40 minutes ago, soulboy said:

When everyone is fit the majority of our bench isn't that bad. Defoe, Hellander, Arfield, Wes, Jones it's when we have injuries and suspensions in midfield and up front that then causes a problem

2nd half of a season is when pitches are poorer, fixture list becomes congested, yellow cards accrue into suspensions, wear and tear leads to injuries.

We've been fairly fortunate til now but the 2nd half of this season will be bloody tough. We'll need an awful lot to go in our favour because as you say the quality strength in depth isnt there.

8 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Gerrard has said many times that players must take their chance when given it. Only one player did that and it was not Halliday or Jones. That pair will not feature much, if at all, going forward  and ought to be moved on.

Add Barker to that list                                                 

5 hours ago, Zulu said:

Add Barker to that list                                                 

He concerns me as I can't help feeling it's more about his confidence than his ability. However, he still has to shape up. Last night showed there is a lack of depth on the left. Kent and BB are excellent but, who else is there?

My man of the match was Kai's haircut.

6 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

Honestly trying to get that performance from last night out of my head,but it’s gnawing at me like a fucking rat. Please lads, do not post any highlights of that shite. 

Wasnae that bad Fs! 

Halliday getting it tight here, he stayed on injured and I didn't think he was that bad.  Thought defence including Edmundson was ok.   Now Barker and Ojo, they were pish and are normally pish.  Jones is ring rusty and needs space in behind, I wouldn't be writing him off.

Archived