The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

The mathematically being able to catch them thing is a red herring. If the season is ended those game don't matter. They don't exist anymore and will never be played. The season will be based on the games that have been played.

So if 12 horses start a race and all fall, who do they award the race too?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mathematically being able to catch them thing is a red herring. If the season is ended those game don't matter. They don't exist anymore and will never be played. The season will be based on the games that have been played.

The problem is that you say the season ended as though people are expected to to accept this is like the league being played out to its natural conclusion.

It will not have. The season was cut short prematurely due to the virus and it does not sit right with an awful lot of people that a season can be cut short of its natural conclusion and we just pretend that this is fine and crown a winner.

Hell, even lots of celtic fans dont want to win it this way.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The main issue with that is cases where a club has a game in hand and can pass teams ahead of them which could impact prize money.  In that scenario I think they might have joint 4th place (for example)  The issue comes when it involves European places and relegation.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The problem is that you say the season ended as though people are expected to to accept this is like the league being played out to its natural conclusion.

It will not have. The season was cut short prematurely due to the virus and it does not sit right with an awful lot of people that a season can be cut short of its natural conclusion and we just pretend that this is fine and crown a winner.

Hell, even lots of celtic fans dont want to win it this way.

Nobody is saying its being played out to its natural conclusion but the simple fact is that it simply can't be played out to that point.

It will have been cut short prematurely and will always have an asterisk beside it in the history books but the SPFL think it's the best path to take. Ultimately, it's their league and their decision. Clubs can challenge it but from everything I've heard, it wouldn't be successful.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Aiming for probably, but I dont think it will happen without one hell of a fucking fight.

I think they will be forced to a middle ground. Reduced relegation, some form reconstruction and a promotion of teams and no champions named.

I think the TV companies are likely to accept for a year due to trying to be seen to help out in the aftermath of the virus.

Imo they'll promote, award winners, restructure with bigger leagues, but no relegation. 

21 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

I would hope the relegation/promotion issue to the EPL would help in this instance. 

Means potentially 3 would have it go down with games remaining, losing mega bucks. Also promotion not decided, mega bucks at stake again 

mirror that all over Europe and you have a complete cluster Fuck 

the easiest and fairest way is to just void everything, discard season 2019/20 and start again when we can 

Yes - it doesn’t sound like they’ve given a vast amount of thought to all the other issues, up and down the pyramid!

Just now, Coop said:

The main issue with that is cases where a club has a game in hand and can pass teams ahead of them which could impact prize money.  In that scenario I think they might have joint 4th place (for example)  The issue comes when it involves European places and relegation.

Yep, I'd expect similar. St. Johnstone can draw level with Hibs if they beat us in the game in hand. I expect the SPFL will pay both the prize money for p6

The SPFL will soon. There's not going to be football here for the next 5-6 months.

I think 4 months and we'll start seeing a drop in transmissions plus the majority of the country will have had it and be immune to it.  It would be an issue if the virus mutated enough to sidestep immunity.

So you’re saying hearts will definitely be relegated and that teams who enter a 38 game competition can be forced to accept it getting cut short at an time to the benefit of some and others getting shafted.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Imo they'll promote, award winners, restructure with bigger leagues, but no relegation. 

If you don't promote four, your just inviting more challenges. Doing that makes the league too big for four Old Firm games a season and Sky won't let that happen.

Just now, Coop said:

I think 4 months and we'll start seeing a drop in transmissions plus the majority of the country will have had it and be immune to it.  It would be an issue if the virus mutated enough to sidestep immunity.

Aye, that seems to be round about the experts advice. Reckon the start of the 2020/21 season will be pushed back by a month too

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nobody is saying its being played out to its natural conclusion but the simple fact is that it simply can't be played out to that point.

It will have been cut short prematurely and will always have an asterisk beside it in the history books but the SPFL think it's the best path to take. Ultimately, it's their league and their decision. Clubs can challenge it but from everything I've heard, it wouldn't be successful.

I think the SPFL and SFA will look down south and to UEFA when deciding what approach to take.  If the rest of Europe goes with voiding their leagues then they'll follow suit.  If the rest of Europe decides to hand out the prizes based on current positions then Scotland will follow suit.

We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

I think we can all remember what happened when the SPL had a plan for how to deal with the unprecedented Rangers scenario and then what happened when public outcry got involved. Two very different outcomes.

I think it is far too early to count on what the SPFL has in mind, they will be listening to the building outcry and be very mindful of what the fall out will be.

1 minute ago, writingranger said:

I think they should simply declare positions but not championships. The can be its but not champions. Last but not relegated with playoffs for top and bottom divisions and with appropriate prize money for positions.😁

There's the issue over next seasons European places.  Will that be decided on last seasons finishing positions or this seasons?  This meeting on Tuesday between UEFA and all the European leagues will give everyone a better idea what they're minded to do.

We're living in a completely unique and unprecedented world. Nothing will be decided anytime soon. Nothing will be set in stone. Everything will be open to change. Everything will be challenged and counter challenged.

This will run and run for a long long time. There will be no quick and easy fix.

3 minutes ago, Dickie said:

So you’re saying hearts will definitely be relegated and that teams who enter a 38 game competition can be forced to accept it getting cut short at an time to the benefit of some and others getting shafted.

Yes, as things stand.

If we were top we would be the ones getting the benefit but we shat the bed.

Archived