New Head of Communications and Media

A DUP councillor is to swap Belfast City Hall for Ibrox after being appointed as head of communications and media relations by Rangers.

David Graham will resign from his position on Belfast City Council to take up the newly-created role at the Glasgow club.

Graham was special adviser to Education Minister Peter Weir before the Stormont Assembly collapsed in 2017.

"I am delighted to be joining Rangers," the former teacher said.

"As a lifelong Rangers supporter, it is an honour to work for the world's most successful football club. When the opportunity arose, I was very pleased to fulfil this role and am looking forward to getting started.

"I am excited by the board's vision for Rangers as we work towards our 150th anniversary and beyond."

Graham was elected as a councillor in May last year and represents the Balmoral Ward.

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson said: "David shares our vision, passion and enthusiasm for the club.

"We are delighted David has chosen to join us and strengthen our team. He is a welcome addition and I look forward to working with him."

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bothered by the DUP side of things, but id does not sound like he is particularly qualified for the role.

A teacher, then a second rate politician. Not sure how that helps with Comms and Media to be honest.

Hope he does well, but sounds more like a hiring on the staunch-o-meter than one on merit.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Ah okay, does he have a background from media from that side.

That makes a bit more sense. Good luck then!

Whatever happens Edgar will have the best source of the lot going forward!

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Not bothered by the DUP side of things, but id does not sound like he is particularly qualified for the role.

A teacher, then a second rate politician. Not sure how that helps with Comms and Media to be honest.

Hope he does well, but sounds more like a hiring on the staunch-o-meter than one on merit.

If he was a Special Adviser he will have significant experience in dealing with media strategy and positioning.

Archived