Ferguson and Dykes

I've always been impressed by Dykes when watching Livingston.  He's young, an  intelligent player and developing. Seems to have a good attitude too. I would rather we had signed him than Kamberi in January.  A good squad addition at the right price.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The Beast said:

This

We have no plan B for teams who are hard to break down atm, Morelos is a decent header of the ball but he's far from a target man type.   Dykes can also play a bit with the ball at his feet as well. 

The last no-brainer striker we didn't sign was Shankland and I we could have done with him last season

Dykes would be a great addition to the squad.

Shankland wouldnt have done fuck all last season with teams sitting in and our style of play

8 minutes ago, don logan said:

I've always been impressed by Dykes when watching Livingston.  He's young, an  intelligent player and developing. Seems to have a good attitude too. I would rather we had signed him than Kamberi in January.  A good squad addition at the right price.

I have a feeling we asked about both and settled for Kamberi because of his availability on favourable terms. Kamberi’s loan fee must have been considerably lower than whatever £XM Livingston wanted for a permanent move with inflated January prices and, frankly, a six month ‘trial period’ is always going to appeal to us when there’s a chance neither of them is good enough. 

22 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Shankland wouldnt have done fuck all last season with teams sitting in and our style of play

He'd have been a backup to Morelos when he was unavailable or off form. Relying on a 37yo for that is not sensible.

43 minutes ago, Del said:

Have you even watched Livi or seen his goals this season?

His best games havent come against us/celtic for a start, although he did win a lot of praise for how well he done against celtic, but of all the goals he scored this season you will be lucky to find 2 that were from him having "plenty of space to run into behind the CB's"

In fact the only goal where he does that is against celtic and even then its from a freekick/goalkick and the ball is put in over the top, something that we would be able to exploit as well.

Aye I have actually. Watched his Qots goals also. 

I said he’s at his best when he’s running in behind, which he is. He’s not a prolific goalscorer by any means. His best attributes are running and getting in folks faces. 

If this is what we have come up with for our striking options it’s completely underwhelming. 

3 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Aye I have actually. Watched his Qots goals also. 

I said he’s at his best when he’s running in behind, which he is. He’s not a prolific goalscorer by any means. His best attributes are running and getting in folks faces. 

If this is what we have come up with for our striking options it’s completely underwhelming. 

Option being the correct word. No way does he get signed to be our number 1. We aint getting a superstar to be 3rd choice.

8 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Btw there's absolutely nothing at all saying that he is signing.

It's literally because he dyed his hair blue

Think he followed a few of the players as well, so people just putting 2 + 2 together. 

14 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Did we nearly get Vydra? If so why didn't we get him?

Deadline day is always a whirlwind so it’s hard to remember exactly but IIRC Burnley were involved in a transfer chain too and because a move somewhere else broke down they decided they weren’t willing to let Vydra leave.

At the moment we've only got Morelos and Defoe so we need to sign an additional  3rd striker. Kamberi or Dykes are different types of striker but suitable candidates for that 3rd choice role IMO.

If Morelos goes then we need to sign someone who is good enough to replace him as the number one striker, possibly two players if we're looking at a change of system. That for me needs to be better quality than Dykes and Kamberi and possibly the sort of business we could only do if/when Morelos is actually sold and we reinvest some of the transfer fee in replacing him.

Just now, middli said:

At the moment we've only got Morelos and Defoe so we need to sign an additional  3rd striker. Kamberi or Dykes are different types of striker but suitable candidates for that 3rd choice role IMO.

If Morelos goes then we need to sign someone who is good enough to replace him as the number one striker, possibly two players if we're looking at a change of system. That for me needs to be better quality than Dykes and Kamberi and possibly the sort of business we could only do if/when Morelos is actually sold and we reinvest some of the transfer fee in replacing him.

In my opinion we should be signing another 2nd choice striker and having Defoe as 3rd choice

1 hour ago, Del said:

If its a choice between Dykes and Kamberi then I would have chosen Kamberi all day long, but I do think Dykes will do well and give us something we dont have at the minute! It will also allow us to play with 2 upfront and cause problems in a way that Morelos and Defoe couldnt.

As for Ferguson, I think he would be a good addition, hes just about to turn 21 and is a very dynamic midfielder, but hes not a defensive player and I dont think he is that different to Docherty. People forget just how good Docherty was at Accies and how well he done at Shrewsbury and Hibs.

I dont think it has to be one or the other either, with some of the players leaving we could easily include them both in our squad.

I also don't think he was used properly under Murty who played him too deep. He needs to be further forward or drifting and out from the wide right (to perhaps even help Tav) like he was at the club mentioned. An underrated part of his game is that he is decent from set pieces like deep free-kicks and corners.

He also could be used in different formations but the manager isn't going to do that. Not a world beater but could definietely have played 20 games last season so we wouldn't have had Arfield playing 48 games by the middle of March. The same goes for Davis in his role.

Got a decent feeling about Dykes.

Think he has something we’re currently lacking. Would still be looking for a ‘quality’ addition in the mould of the Burnley guy. 

Biggest 3 issues are still CM, RW and CF. 

36 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

100% agree with this. 

We should be aiming to improve rather than another gap filler. 

It's a gap filler we need tho, if Morelos stays. 

We aren't going to sign a megastar to be 3rd or 4th option upfront. Let's be somewhat realistic. 

8 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

It's a gap filler we need tho, if Morelos stays. 

We aren't going to sign a megastar to be 3rd or 4th option upfront. Let's be somewhat realistic. 

No ones saying a megastar. We could easily get a quality striker to be 2nd choice. 

3 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

No ones saying a megastar. We could easily get a quality striker to be 2nd choice. 

It doesn't have to be Dykes. But it does have to be someone resonable priced, someone different (big with a presence), someone who's happy to be 2/3rd choice, someone who wants to come.

Give me some ideas?  I'm curious as to who else would tick all them boxes. If there's someone better than Dykes for that specific role then great, give me him,

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

I'd be going back in for Vydra, 10x upgrade and similar in style to Dykes. 

Yes please - but do you think he'd come permanently to be number 2 to Morelos and cost the same outlay at Dykes would? if he came on loan on January, we (probably) wouldn't have had to worry too much about the financial side of that and keeping him happy if he didn't play ever week.

Vydra now compared to Vydra in January on loan is a much different proposition, sadly. 

6 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

It doesn't have to be Dykes. But it does have to be someone resonable priced, someone different (big with a presence), someone who's happy to be 2/3rd choice, someone who wants to come.

Give me some ideas?  I'm curious as to who else would tick all them boxes. If there's someone better than Dykes for that specific role then great, give me him,

Not my job mate, If we are going in this early in the window for Dykes it doesn’t fill me with much hope. 

Players will become available once everyone’s league ends. 

To answer your first question - Doidge, Cosgrove, Uche, Kamberi and Dykes all fit that description and I’d take none of them. 

Archived