Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

If we insist on hitting high crosses in, I would like us to sign someone who can head a ball. Tav can go, his defending is gash and his attacking us mediocre with a few flashes of brilliance throughout the season. I would like a Midfielder who can and isn't scared to shoot from 20 yards plus.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Get what you’re saying but it goes against the grain giving anything these clubs who happily stand shoulder to shoulder with the taigs anything 

I agree it doesn't sit well with me and certain teams wouldn't see as much as a penny from me but we do need to use the loan market a lot better than we currently are. 

On 23/05/2020 at 17:36, STEPPS BOY said:

On Kent, he doesn’t deserve to be in starting line up next season.

Absolutely dreadful this season and another who downed tools.

No chance he is getting dropped next season,he will play better with better attacking players around him and actually played on the wing please Gerrard.

Barker

Docherty

Hastie

Middleton

I’m not sure if any of these guys have a future with us. Docherty would get us some money at least. I’m not sure how much we’d get for any of the others. Hastie is very raw and I’m not sure we have the time to polish him. Might be a case of loaning him out again and hope he improves.

Barker is one I don’t think I’ll ever have time for. He may be brilliant in training but he looks lost when a real match starts.

28 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Barker

Docherty

Hastie

Middleton

I’m not sure if any of these guys have a future with us. Docherty would get us some money at least. I’m not sure how much we’d get for any of the others. Hastie is very raw and I’m not sure we have the time to polish him. Might be a case of loaning him out again and hope he improves.

Barker is one I don’t think I’ll ever have time for. He may be brilliant in training but he looks lost when a real match starts.

I think there will be some demand for Docherty from the Shrewbury's, Peterborough's, Portsmouth's of this world.

Could probably get a few hundred grand.

He's never a player I've rated. Even at Hamilton. He's more like a little track and field athlete than a footballer. I don't think I've ever seen him pass a ball 5-yards successfully  in a Rangers jersey.

Hastie is another. Never even rated him the times I seen him at Motherwell but he's that young he could be loaned out this season and all of a sudden find his game. That's what I'd be aiming for with him.

Totally agree with you on Barker. Stupid, pointless signing. 

Middleton couldn't even get a game for Hibs in the end. That's alarming. 

So many just aren’t good enough. 

Probably 30% of the squad you’d let go for free just to get them off the wage bill.

The rest if you got offered close to acceptable money then you’d happily let them.

There’s not a single player you’d lose a wink of sleep about it they left. 

^add to that, the biggest issue we have is that the midfield isn’t good enough. 

Davis, Jack, Kamara, our three consistent starters in CM are all bang average. 

Biggest weak link we have. Forward line and defence are passable. Focus on two top quality CMs that can take control of a game by the scruff of the neck. 

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Barker

Docherty

Hastie

Middleton

Still think Docherty could be converted to right back. Great engine and a better tackler than Tav.

9 minutes ago, MARK92GERS said:

Docherty definitely has a place in the team he can be useful wether it be from the bench or in cup games etc I’d keep him 

If you want to bring him off the bench for last 5 minutes somewhere like Pittodrie to just tackle and crunch away, then maybe aye.

That's something Gerrard doesn't do to see out games, it's pretty unforgivable how many games we self-implode from a strong/winning position.

There’s not one part of the team I am fully happy with tbh. As much as I like McGregor and rate him, he’s in decline. Even Alfredo isn’t 100% what we need some of the time, he’s too moody and has yet to score against them. 

If Hagi is signed, is played in the correct position and is the player I hope he is then that would be one out of the 11 I’d be happy with. Lots of work to be done imo

8 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

^add to that, the biggest issue we have is that the midfield isn’t good enough. 

Davis, Jack, Kamara, our three consistent starters in CM are all bang average. 

Biggest weak link we have. Forward line and defence are passable. Focus on two top quality CMs that can take control of a game by the scruff of the neck. 

The midfield has been our weak point for a long time now.

We've not invested in it. Last 2 seasons it's been free transfers or loans. 

Agreed we need two top quality centre midfielders. We'll need to spend decent money to get them. 

On 25/05/2020 at 06:25, Laudrup1690 said:

No chance he is getting dropped next season,he will play better with better attacking players around him and actually played on the wing please Gerrard.

I think him and Hagi could build something good. 

16 hours ago, Swally said:

There’s not one part of the team I am fully happy with tbh. As much as I like McGregor and rate him, he’s in decline. Even Alfredo isn’t 100% what we need some of the time, he’s too moody and has yet to score against them. 

If Hagi is signed, is played in the correct position and is the player I hope he is then that would be one out of the 11 I’d be happy with. Lots of work to be done imo

Agreed, even our best positions you can find faults with

Morelos - liability, discipline, fantastic strength and poaching abilities, bad finisher

Tavernier - not the best captain, take away his penalties and his goal contribution is HUGELY misrepresented by the Warburton era, but gets assists

Barisic - If he's on form he's great, but how reliable is his form? He also declined after winter again

Jack - He's solid, pretty much always good, often great but needs to be more adventurous in attack

CBs - I think they're all good and I'm happy with all 4, but none of them are great. 

Kent - So much potential from the first season, not recreated it this season, tries too hard skinning people sideways, needs to be way more direct

We're almost there in almost every position there's just something extra needed everywhere.

12 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

We won’t win anything with Tav and Goldson, both absolute bombscares and shitebags to boot, the fact they are captain and vice captain is a huge part of our problems 

When you have a good backline, it breeds confidence in the players moving forward and attacking. It must have some kind of an impact on our attacking players if they feel they have to watch they don't get over-adventurous otherwise we're left with a pretty weak defense preventing the opposition scoring.

I'm not necessarily talking about specific attacking players, but more the midfield players wondering whether to support an attack or be more conservative. 

I see stories are coming out of yet another possible loan from Liverpool with  a young defensive midfielder Pedro Chirivella.

Is yet another Liverpool loan  with possible contractual  obligations  on the amount he plays really what is required this season?

Dont know the lad , is he any good or is there anyone else we could sign that would do a job for us ?

16 minutes ago, Swally said:

When you have a good backline, it breeds confidence in the players moving forward and attacking. It must have some kind of an impact on our attacking players if they feel they have to watch they don't get over-adventurous otherwise we're left with a pretty weak defense preventing the opposition scoring.

I'm not necessarily talking about specific attacking players, but more the midfield players wondering whether to support an attack or be more conservative. 

It’s prob the reason we feel the need to play with 3 defensive midfielders as well 

4 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

I see stories are coming out of yet another possible loan from Liverpool with  a young defensive midfielder Pedro Chirivella.

Is yet another Liverpool loan  with possible contractual  obligations  on the amount he plays really what is required this season?

Dont know the lad , is he any good or is there anyone else we could sign that would do a job for us ?

He’s a good player but I’m sure his contract is expiring so won’t be a loan 

As we showed in the first half of the season we have more than enough skill in the side. What is required is backbone and grit with a taller option up front to play with Defoe. I think we should sign Lewis And Lynden. I also think a cheaper option to Hagi would be Ryan Gauld.

Archived