Squad options that you would take

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Lynden is not a squad option....he would play with Defoe as an alternative when one up front isn’t working....Defoe on his own up front doesn’t work he needs someone to create the space for him. As for Gauld he showed a few years ago that he was good enough for spl. 

284028A9-F8C7-414A-BF9C-6B721AAB4053.gif

1 hour ago, siamthedanger said:

Ryan Gauld and Scott Allen fuckin hell, people do know that we need to win the league next season aye? 

Honest officials?

19 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s been said for the past 2 seasons. We do not need squad options, we need 3-4 starting players which makes the current team squad options. 

Our problem is all we’ve signed are fucking squad options 

Agreed. We need quality not quantity. Quantity should be filled by hungry youth team players wanting their chance.

16-18 1st team squad. Rest youth players.

3 hours ago, siamthedanger said:

Ryan Gauld and Scott Allen fuckin hell, people do know that we need to win the league next season aye? 

Scott allen is an average midfielder. At the time we were interested yeah would have suited us in the championship but not now. I still remember the elephant man threatening to resign if he was sold to us lol. 

Gauld barley made a dent at hibs on loan. Surely have a youngster in the squad better than him.

With the signing of Hagi does this spell the end for Docherty's chances of making a meaningful  impression on the first team with Aribo's preferred position being the same.

Can anyone else see him being involved in some deal with the HIVs  to bring Kamberi to Ibrox ?

1 minute ago, southcoastbear said:

With the signing of Hagi does this spell the end for Docherty's chances of making a meaningful  impression on the first team with Aribo's preferred position being the same.

Can anyone else see him being involved in some deal with the HIVs  to bring Kamberi to Ibrox ?

Hopefully we look to sell Docherty and reclaim the money we spent on him. He did well in England and he’s done well at Hibs too so there will be interest in him. If he’s likely to be used as part of a swap deal I think we will offer him to Aberdeen as part of a deal for Ferguson (who I think we are interested in).

21 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

We should never be looking to sign squad players. If they aren't good enough to get into our starting 11 then they aren't good enough to be signed.

Half agree with this but even Barcelona and Real Madrid have 'squad' players as in players who when everyone is fit are unlikely to regularly start.

For where we're at right now though, as others have mentioned we need 3 or 4 players ideally better than those who are already considered a starting player rather than bulking out the squad again with Stewart/Halliday/Ojo level players.

The other benefit is that for players with the right mindset the competition will spur them on another level - I reckon Ryan Jack has it in him to raise his performance another level.

The other concern about signing someone intentionally as a squad player is that some if not most just aren't suited to it and need to be playing week in week out. I don't know if that applies to Dykes as such but for me it definitely applies to say Stewart who was excellent when he came on against Aberdeen in the 5-0 hammering but pretty anonymous near enough any other time he was called upon.

20 hours ago, The Blues said:

Lynden is not a squad option....he would play with Defoe as an alternative when one up front isn’t working....Defoe on his own up front doesn’t work he needs someone to create the space for him. As for Gauld he showed a few years ago that he was good enough for spl. 

Is Dykes your son?

I don’t get why people call footballers by their first name 😂 

I was reading Stephen Thompson there and hes right about 1 thing, we do need players who'll fight when we're struggling .

Like when we had Ferguson or Hately, mccall or bomber . Guys who pushed you on.

We have a very good skillful side but we need hard players mixed in.. beggars have that and we must match that .

What's peoples thoughts on youth players who could potentially make the step up and play regularly next season?

Presumably Patterson will get more games next season, gave a good account of himself in the run outs he's had so far. Don't follow our youth teams that closely, is Kai Kennedy ready for the step up? Is Josh McPake good enough to make it (i hear he's back from his loan spell)? Anyone other youngsters that could make the step up?

6 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

Morelos put up 4 pics of him and Gerrard with the praying hands and love hearts. Maybe a sign he is staying around...

Wouldn't be surprised if he hung around until next summer. Going to be very little spending in Europe this year so sense would say not to sell until the market gets going again.

This also means the deadwood we still have have hanging around will either need to be released by mutual termination or loaned out for peanuts.

On 26/05/2020 at 22:52, TMB said:

I’d take Hickey as a prospect.  Only if it was for very little money.  As cover for both full-back positions he might be good.

Beyond that, we shouldn’t be signing “squad options”.  We should be signing first-team players that can displace the guys we already have. 

Personally been very underwhelmed whenever I've seen Hickey against us or the filth, but admittedly I haven't watched him in any other games and with hearts going down we could get a good deal.

Archived