Do Scottish Referees have a bias towards either half of the Old Firm?

papaguy51

Given the mass feeling on here that Rangers are constantly shat on by referees decisions going Celtic's way during games, it's time to check out this argument once and for all.

It's time to be impartial. There's absolutley no point in this if we're going to look at it with blue-tinted glasses on, so sense and balance is called for from everyone. If you feel unable to do that, don't post in the thread.

Let's see if there really IS a bias in the refereeing.

SPL Table

Teams.....P.....W.....D.....L.....Pts

Rangers...5......4.....1.......0.....13

Celtic.......5......4.....1.......1......10

Experimental Table

Teams.....P.....W.....D.....L.....Pts

Rangers...5......5.....0.......0......15

Celtic.......5......3.....2.......0......11

Referee Mistakes List

Eddie Smith = 1 (+Celtic) -- Wrongly given penalty/red card v. St. Mirren

Charlie Richmond = 1 (+Celtic) -- Denies Dundee Utd a blatant penalty (Foul).

Stuart Dougal = 1 (+Rangers) -- Questionable decision over a handball. Unintentional by Bougherra, but they have been given.

Billy Baxter (Linesman) = 1 (-Rangers) -- Goal wrongly denied for offside.

Ian Brines = 1 (+Celtic) -- McManus handballs into the net, goal stands.

Disclaimer

I have no certain opinion as yet, this is solely an experiment to see if there is this proposed bias within Scottish officiating.

We'll keep a tab on everything, update it weekly and let you make your own mind up.

Everything will be done fairly, I guarantee it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we put this down to some kind of vote for each decision being allowed into the table, probably a 65/35 majority to take away from the blue tinted specs bias...

Don't worry, we'll be honest!

I don't see how this can work, because as Bears we have a natural bias towards Rangers. Therefore that bias will taint any results given. Waste of time and effort IMO. This is more like something the paranoid mob that follow sellick would do.

I don't see how this can work, because as Bears we have a natural bias towards Rangers. Therefore that bias will taint any results given. Waste of time and effort IMO. This is more like something the paranoid mob that follow sellick would do.

I think that is being very unfair on alot of RM posters. We have been quick to recognise when referees have been generous to us in the past, for example the Dundee United game near the end of last season.

We are all biased towards our club but that doesn't mean we cannot recognise when referees make a mistake in our favour.

BTW guys this is a great idea. It is all well and good moaning and groaning about how officials are against us but actually conducting a method of finding out if this is a genuine concern is admirable. Good luck.

I like it. A lot.

But we need to make sure every decision is posted just as it is on the first game because we have to be open to scrutiny - I'd hate debatable decisions to be marked to suit an agenda - and that's not saying anyone does.

It just HAS to be managed and scored fairly or we will look no better than them - if managed correctly this story will spread far and wide. If done poorly with poor blue tinted judgement and bias commentary we'll look like fools.

For that reason, I would like if possible for comments to this thread to be checked by admin before they are posted - this is a world wide forum and we have to ensure what is posted on such a contentious topic is of sufficient quality to ensure we are not embarrassed or ridiculed.

Please.

I like it. A lot.

But we need to make sure every decision is posted just as it is on the first game because we have to be open to scrutiny - I'd hate debatable decisions to be marked to suit an agenda - and that's not saying anyone does.

It just HAS to be managed and scored fairly or we will look no better than them - if managed correctly this story will spread far and wide. If done poorly with poor blue tinted judgement and bias commentary we'll look like fools.

For that reason, I would like if possible for comments to this thread to be checked by admin before they are posted - this is a world wide forum and we have to ensure what is posted on such a contentious topic is of sufficient quality to ensure we are not embarrassed or ridiculed.

Please.

Of course, I agree totally.

Bias won't happen, I'm one of the most unbias Gers fans you'll meet and so are the other lads that agreed to this.

I like it. A lot.

Please.

Of course, I agree totally.

Bias won't happen, I'm one of the most unbias Gers fans you'll meet and so are the other lads that agreed to this.

I know that. What I don't want is a 476 page long (by October) emotionally charged thread discussing the merits of every decision taken. We need to cut this down to the absolute minimum and not allow it to be populated by views from every member. It flies in the face of what RM is about, but this is a unique experiment and one that has to be carried out with the minimum of fuss

This thread can't be allowed to become tainted by emotion and needs to be pre mod.