Celtic Fans Fury Over Old Firm Date

Maryann

Celtic fans hit out as Scott Brown faces ban for last Old Firm derby of season

CELTIC fans chief Peter Rafferty last night accused the SPL of handing Rangers an unfair advantage in the battle for the championship.

Hoops supporters have reacted angrily to the news the league yesterday pencilled in the final Old Firm derby of the season for Saturday, May 9.

That means Parkhead star Scott Brown will be suspended but Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra is eligible to play. Celtic defender Mark Wilson admitted the loss of his teammate would be a huge blow and said the fact Brown's ban came about because of a booking last season was "crazy".

League bosses settled on the date following consultations with the clubs and Strathclyde Police. Last night, a Celtic spokesman said: "There was wide anticipation the match would be the first fixture after the split so we are slightly surprised. However, we are happy to get on with it."

Rafferty, secretary of the Association of Celtic Supporters' Clubs, said: " There are rules and regulations but it's unfortunate we are losing a player and they are gaining one for such a big game.

"We will miss Scott as he is one of our best players - if not the best one this season. I can understand people being angry about this.

"We've been treated unfairly and I suppose fans, especially some of the younger ones,will be furious with this."

Bougherra feared he would miss the derby if it was scheduled for immediately after the split but was relieved when May 9 was selected.

It is Brown who will miss out and Wilson said: "It's a massive blow because Scott has been one of our top players this season, a real driving force for us. We will miss him.

"It's crazy a booking from last season can count now.But there are a few crazy rules in the SFA and this is stupid."

The fixture, to be shown live on Setanta with a 12.30 kickoff, was expected to take place on the weekend of May 2/3 but it is understood police feared bank holiday violence.

Sunday, May 10 was ruled out as that is the date of the Glasgow Women's 10k, which finishes just a few hundred yards from Ibrox.

The date selected could yet pose problems for league bosses, who were anxious to avoid a title-clincher scenario.

If Rangers lose their next two games and Celtic win theirs, Gordon Strachan's side could retain their crown at Ibrox.

Celtic's reserves yesterday missed a chance to wrap up their eighth title in a row when they lost 3-2 to Hearts' second string.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CELTIC fans chief Peter Rafferty last night accused the SPL of handing Rangers an unfair advantage in the battle for the championship.

Hoops supporters have reacted angrily to the news the league yesterday pencilled in the final Old Firm derby of the season for Saturday, May 9.

That means Parkhead star Scott Brown will be suspended but Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra is eligible to play. Celtic defender Mark Wilson admitted the loss of his teammate would be a huge blow and said the fact Brown's ban came about because of a booking last season was "crazy".

League bosses settled on the date following consultations with the clubs and Strathclyde Police. Last night, a Celtic spokesman said: "There was wide anticipation the match would be the first fixture after the split so we are slightly surprised. However, we are happy to get on with it."

Rafferty, secretary of the Association of Celtic Supporters' Clubs, said: " There are rules and regulations but it's unfortunate we are losing a player and they are gaining one for such a big game.

"We will miss Scott as he is one of our best players - if not the best one this season. I can understand people being angry about this.

"We've been treated unfairly and I suppose fans, especially some of the younger ones,will be furious with this."

Bougherra feared he would miss the derby if it was scheduled for immediately after the split but was relieved when May 9 was selected.

It is Brown who will miss out and Wilson said: "It's a massive blow because Scott has been one of our top players this season, a real driving force for us. We will miss him.

"It's crazy a booking from last season can count now.But there are a few crazy rules in the SFA and this is stupid."

The fixture, to be shown live on Setanta with a 12.30 kickoff, was expected to take place on the weekend of May 2/3 but it is understood police feared bank holiday violence.

Sunday, May 10 was ruled out as that is the date of the Glasgow Women's 10k, which finishes just a few hundred yards from Ibrox.

The date selected could yet pose problems for league bosses, who were anxious to avoid a title-clincher scenario.

If Rangers lose their next two games and Celtic win theirs, Gordon Strachan's side could retain their crown at Ibrox.

Celtic's reserves yesterday missed a chance to wrap up their eighth title in a row when they lost 3-2 to Hearts' second string.

He needs to dry his eye's. Off the top of my head, for the past few years the last OF game after the split has not been the first game and has indeed been either the second or third. First sign of weakness from them IMO

I have become increasingly disappointed with Peter Rafferty, it used to be his appearances on TV were must watch. He sported a spectacular example of 'ra comb-over'. A real master of concurrent activity, he talked on matters Sellik whilst pawing his strand(s) of hair back into place.

These days, Peter has had a hair cut and us viewers are left with the monotone drone.

The CELTIC fans do my head in.

BROWN has been booked god knows how many times this season so deserves to be out,

After all boughy has to serve his ban, aswell as all the other players in the league.

They are SHITTING THEMSELVES I.M.O

it just reminds me of what we were put through fixture wise at the end of last season which was insane...they weren't bleating then but quietly gleeful about our predicament...no conspiracy theories then were there :pipe:

absolutely no sympathy here.

spot on!!!

Aw there! there!, who's in the huff now.

Now they know how it feels, who the feck do they think they are, unfair? my arse, what the SFA SPL etc. did to us last season wass unfair, and they colluded with their mythical Japanese tour, so tough luck ya bunch of whining barstewards.

How do they work out we gain a player, no we don't we have a player who is not banned, that's not gaining anything, this rafferty muppet must have one of blairs spin doctors arms up his back to think that one up.

Mark Wilson openly being critical of the SFA, surely worthy of an investigation.

:cheers:

hahahahaha they have been treated unfairly how about they get treated as badly as us last season and see how that feels

I don't actually think Celtic fans are furious and neither they should be. I would have been embaressed if our fans complained if we had to play the 1st game after the split and boogie was out. The DR is just making a story out of nothing, the tim spokesman cunt doesn't eveb seem that dissapointed.

Why is it just the younger fans who are going to be upset?

I've sat for 5 mins thinking of this and still have no answer.

Well if it was on a Sunday then the younger ones might have been the dirty beasts special friend that morning and then got a day out at the game too.......everyones a winner :craphead:

think they also forget that last year, mceady was banned when they were due to face us, then game was cancelled and when rescheduled, surprise surprise, mcgeady was able to play...pathetic how petty it is...