Boyd and the top 6 myth

1. I know this is another Boyd thread but i feel the stats would be lost if lumped in with the generic one.

2. I am, as i have said on a number of occassion, on the fence with Boyd. Hit or a miss with me and wasnt too bothered if he left.

3. Listening to a few Timmies on the radio tonight spouting their usual pish and lies about he never scores against the Top 6 and it put me in the mood to check the facts out.

So here they are. To quantify my rules of engagement here. I got the stats from every single Boyd Rangers appearance by date and corresponded each season with the Teams that finished in the Top 6 that particular season. So these stats are a true measure of how he has faired against the Top teams in Scotland. The minutes all end at 90 as it is impossible to tell injury time.

Goals scored v Top 6 = 36

Games started v Top 6 = 40

Goals per start v Top 6 = 0.90

Minutes played v Top 6 = 3604

A goal every 100 minutes v a Top 6 team

Goals scored v Bottom 6 = 50

Games started v Bottom 6 = 53

Goals per start v Bottom 6 = 0.94

Minutes played v Bottom 6 = 4699

A goal every 94 minutes v a Bottom 6 team

So in short, what the above proves is that Boyds goalscoring record is actually only 6% worse against the Top 6 than it is against the Bottom 6.

And Timmy, as well as a few on here, are firmly debunked with the Top 6 myth.

I hope you all sleep better tonight now knowing this (tu)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

need to factor out the tap ins and penalties aswell, they dont count

Why?

It is never done with anyone else; a tap in is a goal from a striker being in the right position.A penalty is a goal scored by someone who has the balls and the ability to score.

I'd be interested to know his stats away v. the top 6.

Oh, and I think the generic thread has run its course.

Ask and you shall receive

AWAY GAMES ONLY V TOP 6

Goals scored v Top 6 = 16

Games started v Top 6 = 17

Goals per start v Top 6 = 0.94

Minutes played v Top 6 = 1503

A goal every 94 minutes v a Top 6 team

(tu)

AWAY GAMES ONLY V TOP 6

(tu)

Wow, I thought it'd be way lower than that. Cheers mate.

Why?

It is never done with anyone else; a tap in is a goal from a striker being in the right position.A penalty is a goal scored by someone who has the balls and the ability to score.

Think FE was being sarcastic :D

Why?

Think FE was being sarcastic :D

Oops, just glanced and assumed it was another of the Boyd is a waste of space jibes,sorry!

1. I know this is another Boyd thread but i feel the stats would be lost if lumped in with the generic one.

2. I am, as i have said on a number of occassion, on the fence with Boyd. Hit or a miss with me and wasnt too bothered if he left.

3. Listening to a few Timmies on the radio tonight spouting their usual pish and lies about he never scores against the Top 6 and it put me in the mood to check the facts out.

So here they are. To quantify my rules of engagement here. I got the stats from every single Boyd Rangers appearance by date and corresponded each season with the Teams that finished in the Top 6 that particular season. So these stats are a true measure of how he has faired against the Top teams in Scotland. The minutes all end at 90 as it is impossible to tell injury time.

Goals scored v Top 6 = 36

Games started v Top 6 = 40

Goals per start v Top 6 = 0.90

Minutes played v Top 6 = 3604

A goal every 100 minutes v a Top 6 team

Goals scored v Bottom 6 = 50

Games started v Bottom 6 = 53

Goals per start v Bottom 6 = 0.94

Minutes played v Bottom 6 = 4699

A goal every 94 minutes v a Bottom 6 team

So in short, what the above proves is that Boyds goalscoring record is actually only 6% worse against the Top 6 than it is against the Bottom 6.

And Timmy, as well as a few on here, are firmly debunked with the Top 6 myth.

I hope you all sleep better tonight now knowing this (tu)

Nice one Youllneverwinaway. I always thought it was a load of bull, yet we hear it repeated over and over again on this forum. I did something sort of similar earlier on in the season comparing the number of games we won when Boyd started for us against the number of games we won when Boyd didnt start for us and the difference was significant.

Very interesting stats.

Of course stats dont tell the whole story about a player's influence, but a player whose main asset is scoring goals is going to be judged by scoring goals.

I am very much in the pro-Boyd camp, as the most important thing in football is to make the scoreboard change from Rangers 0 to Rangers 1, 2, etc. He accomplishes this far more often than any other striker I have seen since McCoist.

In the same mould that when Ally was on the bench I was backing him to play for the same reasons, that he was the best goalscorer at the club, and therefore was our best chance of scoring a goal. And if you play him in a run of matches, you will get a run of goals. And if you play him all season, you will get at least 30 goals.

It really is that simple.

What's his scoring stats against the team that finishes top (or second)? The old firm are by far and away the best teams in the coutry and that's where he should really be measured.

... great stat - oh and he never scores goals that win us big games - except the 2 cup finals last year and one the year before that - :lol: so basically there is very little he has NOT done in the scoring department!

If we were buying a player with these stats and ability we would be drooling at the mouth!

AWAY GAMES ONLY V TOP 6

(tu)

Almost a goal a game? interesting

What's his scoring stats against the team that finishes top (or second)? The old firm are by far and away the best teams in the coutry and that's where he should really be measured.

Hey fella, have to disagree with that :pipe:

Its always said that the Old Firm games dont decide the title, but, not dropping points against everyone else, if THAT is true, then, we need measuring against that. This season is a good example, we are pretty even stevens with them in OF games, which takes the results out the equation when it comes to the title:D