Rangers squad vs Celtic squad

nvager

I am basing this on a 4-3-3 formation.

Goalkeeper - Our two are better than there two.

Right-Back - Give me Whittaker over Hinkel any day

Centre-Half - Probably Bougherra and Caldwell

Left-Back - Not seen enough of Fox but Papac definetly beats Naylor

Midfield - Davis, Thomson and Brown

Strikers - Boyd, Mcdonald and Miller

Would agree with that (tu)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know McDonald is a diving bastard -- but he gets important goals for them and can hold up the ball better than anyone we have. And he does it in OF matches as well. He's the only one, frankly, that concerns me.

Moscow made them look good. Remember, Hinkel kicked 2/3 off the line in that match. So although they played 'better', nothing to concern me.

Our midfield this year are miles ahead of them. And with Naisy on form, overall, we are much stronger than them compared to this time last year.

Consistency is the key for us.

I still maintain the earls are weakened compared to last season. They've lost that deadball ability and spark that the wee gook :craphead: brought to the team and they haven't brought that back.

Their defence is still full of hatchet-men and Gary 'Harlem Globetrotter' Caldwell and Fox doesn't look like he'd hold up in an OF atmosphere.

MF - more or less the same as last season, minus the sushi monster. Hartley/Nguemo is a straight swap imo.

As for up front, Samaras is looking sharper but he'll still fade if he can't score and Fortune so far looks good business for us, but I'll wait and see.

We should do them again, but we can't drop as many stupid points this season.

I still think we are the better team.

Goalkeeping wise, our two goalkeepers are miles better than the 3 or 4 they have. Alexander is consistent and a good overall goalie. McGregor is an excellent shot stopper and would be great if he could replicate his 07/08 form.

Defensively, we still hold the edge. Weir and Bougherra are very solid and consistent. They are hardly breached and were the best defence in the SPL last season which speaks for its self. In Papac and Whittaker we have two very good players going forward, but are sometimes quite poor defensively. Although this is an area I would like strengthened, it is fine just now. Depth wise, Celtic have the edge. If we lose Weir or Bougherra, we've only got Broadfoot and McCulloch as back-up. However, McCulloch has been playing well recently, I'll give him that.

Midfield, I shouldn't even need to go into this. Mendes, Edu, Davis and Thomson are all miles better than N'Guemo, Donati or Brown who all play there for Celtic. N'Guemo hasn't looked good even with the hype that was coming from the mhedia. Donati is still pish and Brown just likes to kick the fuck out of people and finds difficulty in 5 yard passing. Their wingers are better than ours, but we still dominate midfield wise.

Strikers, We've got Boyd, Miller, Naismith, Novo, Lafferty and Velicka. They've got Samaras, McDonald, Fortune and Killen. They don't have a 20 goal a season striker there. We have Boyd who has gotten 102 in 150 games or so. Fortune doesn't look threatening goal-wise and Killen and Samaras are pish. Miller, Novo and Naismith can do the same job as McDonald imo too.

We need defensive cover. That is our weakness. Cannot believe we will start the season with no defensive cover.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe we're waiting for Declan to get papped out of the CL quals, but it's a slim hope.

Pointless thread, right now WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS and hence we are the best team with the best players, our players are CHAMPIONS, Theirs are not.

Also its too soon to judge them or us for that matter. Some people have rewritten history a bit on here , we didnt exactly thrash our way to the title last season, Declan more than helped us out with their 20 points out of 40 in the second half of the season, and we only finished 4 points ahead of them and that is FACT! But that was then and this is NOW, we cant afford those slip up's we had last season , we have to be ready for the fight, timmy is wounded and they have definetly improved on last year judging by their pre-season and lets be honest, none of us expected them to go to russia and turn that around.

from what ive seen, Celtic are still an average side who are just a teeny bit stronger than last year BUT in Scotland they will prolly hammer the dross 2 and 3 nil every week so we must be on guard and focus only on ourselves, no more slip up's, no more respect at tannadice and shittodrie, we must hammer all the pissy diddy teams every single week then let us do our thing in Old Firm games where we WILL have the edge. If we stay realistic and aware of our enemy and what we have to do, this is our title. Incidentally the only players of theirs I'd take would be .......... in fact, theres a more productive thread idea......

Based on first 11 ... we are by far the better team no doubt about it !

WS is probably the best man in Britain in knowing how to handle games against the thims and the monkey will be very very naive and think the can pass every ball into the net ! The only worry is that we dont not have that strong a squad and if injuries and suspensions happen then we could end up losing stupid points again !

It will be a lot harder this season but with one maybe at a push two loan singing when we get the cash from the cl we'll be champions again in no time :gerbad:

OK - Celtic players who would get a game for us - Brown, Caldwell (Yes - think Weir!) - and on the left (although he is a wee mky bstard) McGeedy! - the rest would be back up - so based an that 'assesment' I think we shade it on first team basis. Squad wise they seem to have a bit more depth defensively and we have more depth in midfield and upfront - so again we shade it. So I then think really it will come down to Managers (i.e. Tactics. Man Management etc.) Mopery seems to be great at Man Management but Smith is no slouch either, Tactically I think Smith is miles ahead of Mopery for one reason - he is NOT dictated to by the fans he does what needs to be done - Mopery has proven he only knows one way - and that I think is nieve. We may not like the ambition showed by Walter at times but he knows how to grind it out, and sometimes taht is what it takes.

Overall I think we shade it in every area except defensive depth, and hopefully that will be addressed before end Aug.

Oh no, Weir is better than Caldwell even at 103! mcgayday? no! regardless of him as a person, he is so painfully over rated its not funny, and, has very little end product. Our dandy new 4-3-3? He wouldnt get in before Novo, Naismith, Aaron, Fleck......

The other thing about us and them is, they avent improved where they needed to, bar perhaps LB, and, havent added any better than they had. In addition, we have consistency and a gelled squad.

We win hands down

OK - Celtic players who would get a game for us - Brown, Caldwell (Yes - think Weir!) - and on the left (although he is a wee mky bstard) McGeedy! - the rest would be back up - so based an that 'assesment' I think we shade it on first team basis. Squad wise they seem to have a bit more depth defensively and we have more depth in midfield and upfront - so again we shade it. So I then think really it will come down to Managers (i.e. Tactics. Man Management etc.) Mopery seems to be great at Man Management but Smith is no slouch either, Tactically I think Smith is miles ahead of Mopery for one reason - he is NOT dictated to by the fans he does what needs to be done - Mopery has proven he only knows one way - and that I think is nieve. We may not like the ambition showed by Walter at times but he knows how to grind it out, and sometimes taht is what it takes.

Overall I think we shade it in every area except defensive depth, and hopefully that will be addressed before end Aug.

Oh no, Weir is better than Caldwell even at 103! mcgayday? no! regardless of him as a person, he is so painfully over rated its not funny, and, has very little end product. Our dandy new 4-3-3? He wouldnt get in before Novo, Naismith, Aaron, Fleck......

The other thing about us and them is, they avent improved where they needed to, bar perhaps LB, and, havent added any better than they had. In addition, we have consistency and a gelled squad.

We win hands down

Ach - just my opinion - did we agree that Brown would make it in ?

Brown doesn't have the brainpower to be a good footballer.

Kevin Thomson - double the player, half the price.

Sorry papaguy but you are being far to blue tinted if you cant recognise that Brown is a good player. Whether Thomson is a better player or not is a debate but Brown would strengthen our squad - and would likely play further forward than Thomson anyway.

Sorry papaguy but you are being far to blue tinted if you cant recognise that Brown is a good player. Whether Thomson is a better player or not is a debate but Brown would strengthen our squad - and would likely play further forward than Thomson anyway.

He's all running and no brain.

He's decent, but that's all he'll ever be.

Very immature and lacks an appropriate level of footballing intelligence to move him onto a higher level. In my opinion, of course.

We win hands down

Ach - just my opinion - did we agree that Brown would make it in ?

Am with Papaguy mate*

I just dont see where brown would fit? I dont see him as bette than Davis, Thomson, Edu, mendes etc, hell, on preseason form, i dont see him as better than McCulloch

Its not blue tinted specs, we got the far far better deal with Thomson

edit: * not that we are hetro life partners you understand ;)

It depends on how many injuries we get. We are desperatly short of cover in some areas.

In goal - Alexander or Shagger. IMO both are better than Borat. Hes overrated and a complete arse to boot.

defence - If we get injuries we'll struggle. I dont trust broadfoot in the middle and if boogie and grandad are both out were stuffed!

midfield - IMO we are much better. N'Gualwhatever looks good but the rest of timmys midfield isn't so hot. Get Edu back and we are sorted.

attack - skippy will score goals, fortune looks shit and sam-arse is just the walking, jakey vidal sasoon advert. Miller needs to convert more but nacho has looked good pre-season as has naisy. Oh and we still have the best goal machine in the SPhell.

It will be tough but i still believe that we are better overall!

Very immature and lacks an appropriate level of footballing intelligence to move him onto a higher level. In my opinion, of course.

I disagree.

Would you say Wayne Rooney is immature? Both have a similar attitude towards football. I like to see that, an abillity to stand up for them selves.

I do think Thomson is a better player, but, I totally agree that Brown would improve our starting eleven greatly. Also when Thomson and Brown play together their brilliant to watch, from there Hibs days and that 45 minutes they played with each other at Hampden in a friendly against Croatia. They were brilliant. Looking forward to seeing them playing together again in future Scotland squads. (tu)

I disagree.

Would you say Wayne Rooney is immature? Both have a similar attitude towards football. I like to see that, an abillity to stand up for them selves.

I do think Thomson is a better player, but, I totally agree that Brown would improve our starting eleven greatly. Also when Thomson and Brown play together their brilliant to watch, from there Hibs days and that 45 minutes they played with each other at Hampden in a friendly against Croatia. They were brilliant. Looking forward to seeing them playing together again in future Scotland squads. (tu)

No, but Brown looks like he'd chase a stick around for three hours.

Wayne Rooney sees things on a football park that Fabregas, Gerrard and Lampard don't often see.

The key for me is who can get the most consistent performances, Walter Smith or Tony Mowbray? For me, Walter is a very good manager. Mowbray still got a lot to prove and can be a bit naive.

Walter..a very good manager ?

sounness, advocaat or smith..i know the worst of the 3.

Id take our back four over theirs any day!

Our midfield p*sses on them any day of the week

Up front skippy, samosa-ass, costa-fortune??? Or novo miller BOYD naismith(gonna be one of our top players- easily our best player in the emirates along with mendes)

So all in all we got a better team.

The only player id take from them is Brown, imagine him and thompson in the centre(?) other than that were actually not that bad,

ok we need some defensive cover for weir but if we got wee smithy back to form then we could put papac in as centre back and we could have a solid four!

The only player that looks half decent over there is N'guemo who is actually a pretty good player, mpson or edu over him any day!

Theyve got 2 very good keepers but so have we, and weve got the better manager.

This season we'll ses WS make rangers into a good attacking team, adn even though we did get beat 3 nil by the gunners (beasely was at fault for the first- and looks like he doesnt know how to play positional football!)

I was well impressed by us when WS made the changes! one touch passes fluid counter attcks we looked very good and if wed have finished any of the chances we would have gotten some thing out the game.

Roll on the 4th october!