Derby amongst three SPL games switched for TV coverage

Boab

THREE of Rangers' SPL matches have been moved for TV purposes - including the next Old Firm derby clash with Celtic.

That game has been shifted back 24 hours and will now be played at Parkhead on Sunday January 3 at 12.30pm, with Sky Sports showing the game live.

The trip to Falkirk has also been shifted and while it will still be played on Saturday December 5, kick off will now be at 12.30pm. ESPN are broadcasting the fixture.

In between the two rearranged dates comes another, with Gers now due to visit Hibernian on Sunday December 27 rather than on Boxing Day.

Sky Sports are also showing that one as it happens, with kick off at Easter Road now set for 12 noon.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1824265,00.html

Good.

The more games on Sky and the less on ESPN the better!

what make u says that? both are as bad as each other now in terms of commentators.....Suppose the pundits are slightly better on SS but both programs are treated as second rate to any EPL game, which is a shame....

Good.

what make u says that? both are as bad as each other now in terms of commentators.....Suppose the pundits are slightly better on SS but both programs are treated as second rate to any EPL game, which is a shame....

Crocker, Walker and Nicholas are all diddies but that cunt Craig Burley does my nut in!

Good.

Ali Douglas??? :rolleyes:

But nah cant see much of a problem with the fixture changes... most to be expected!! Easter Road on the Sunday sounds like a good way to finish the xmas weekend tho!!! (:

Good.

Ali Douglas??? :rolleyes:

But nah cant see much of a problem with the fixture changes... most to be expected!! Easter Road on the Sunday sounds like a good way to finish the xmas weekend tho!!! (:

It would for me :)

i hate sky, why the hell cant they decide which games they want at the start of the season before the fixtures are released instead of waiting for 2 months to change games. It makes it a nightmare for northern ireland based fans. I missed the last old firm game just because sky wanted to move it from sat to sun. I could go on sat, couldnt go on sun. Tossers

I have only seen Sky's coverage once, and that was during a Celtc game (might have been St. Mirren?), and I thought it was fucking hidious. Ridiculous bagpipes at the start, and a stupid blonde bint who didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Cringeworthy!

As for the games being moved. Doesn't effect me, but I'm sure it will piss others off, and that's what's shite about it!

I have only seen Sky's coverage once, and that was during a Celtc game (might have been St. Mirren?), and I thought it was fucking hidious. Ridiculous bagpipes at the start, and a stupid blonde bint who didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Cringeworthy!

As for the games being moved. Doesn't effect me, but I'm sure it will piss others off, and that's what's shite about it!

The Bagpipes are awful :anguish:

i hate sky, why the hell cant they decide which games they want at the start of the season before the fixtures are released instead of waiting for 2 months to change games. It makes it a nightmare for northern ireland based fans. I missed the last old firm game just because sky wanted to move it from sat to sun. I could go on sat, couldnt go on sun. Tossers

Is a pain in the arse,will have to get my shifts changed AGAIN for the old firm game,got te be expected though,every 1 of our away games after celtic is gonna get changed either by time or date

Old Firm anger at Ne’erday switch

by Alison McConnell

THE first Old Firm derby of 2010 has been switched from January 2 to January 3.

Celtic will host Rangers at 12.30pm at the request of Sky Sports, with the Edinburgh derby being shown live on ESPN at 3pm on the same day.

Other fixtures to be moved to Sundays for television coverage are Hearts' trip to Hamilton (December 6), Celtic's visit to Tynecastle (December 20) and the Easter Road clash between Hibernian and Rangers (December 27).

advertisement

The news has been criticised by supporters of the clubs and Rangers Supporters Trust spokesman David Edgar blasted the decision.

The noon kick-off on December 27 at Easter Road will be particularly problematic, he believes, and is disappointed with the switch in time.

"For Rangers fans travelling from the West of Scotland - not so much Glasgow as places like Ayrshire - it can be quite a long trip to Edinburgh," he said.

"And for people going by public transport, it's going to be difficult getting there in time on a Sunday at that time of year. We'd like kick-offs to be as close to possible to the traditional time of 3pm on a Saturday.

"When Setanta showed games kicking off at 2pm on a Sunday that was reasonable enough, but the nightmare scenarios were the dreaded Sunday evening kick-offs they used to have."

And Edgar has warned that clubs are in danger of alienating their fans by being dictated to by the demands of TV.

The change in times and dates over the festive period is regarded as an inconvenience by supporters and Edgar insisted there are growing numbers getting more frustrated.

"Scottish football announced in the summer that it was out on its feet financially and as usual it's ordinary fans who are paying the cost," he said.

"They want us to take out subscriptions to satellite channels and they wants us to keep coming to games as well, and they don't realise that in the current climate a lot of people can't afford, or simply refuse, to do both."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...rday_switch.php

A 12 noon kick-off is absolutely ridiculous and should never be allowed to take place. We get shoe-horned into whatever free slot Sky can find,

It was always going to happen though, those who were waxing lyrical about the move to Sky/ESPN will certainly have their eyes open now. The coverage isn't much better than Setanta and the commentators are just as bad.

And to be perfectly honest, i can't blame Sky. Scottish football just doesn't attract viewers, aside from Old Firm games. So we will never command any sort of priority when it comes to kick-off times or expenditure on quality broadcasting. I just wish we could break free from the SPL, i really do.