Walter: We lack a wide player

Boab

Nov 29 2009 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

WALTER SMITH reckons Rangers need to find a "special player" to stop the title slipping away after watching his side crash to their first SPL defeat of the season.

But the Ibrox boss knows cash-strapped Gers won't be able to afford a match-winner unless someone steps in to buy the club before the January transfer window closes.

Smith was dejected after a 1-0 defeat at Aberdeen saw his troops surrender top spot to Celtic yesterday.

Gers failed to break down the battling Dons who played the last 30 minutes with 10 men after skipper Mark Kerr was sent off.

And the manager is desperate to find someone who can provide a creative spark in the final third.

Smith said: "We lack a wide player who can beat a man and do that kind of thing.

"That was what we needed against Aberdeen.

"We started slowly and conceded an early opener. We came into the game after 20 minutes then dictated things.

"That was aided by the fact they went down to 10 men.

"We had plenty of pressure but there was no creativity.

Yes, Walter. Not only could us fans have told you that for most of your reign and particularly when you spunked money on Miller, Lafferty and Velicka when we needed midfielders....

Even when you've had players who 'could play wide', Walter, you've been at pains not to play them....Gow, Novo, Aaron...and more naturally Burke, DMB albeit DMB is not one to 'beat a man' and Rothen - some of these 3 are may be not the answer but they need games so everyone can know.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21859082/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nov 29 2009 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

WALTER SMITH reckons Rangers need to find a "special player" to stop the title slipping away after watching his side crash to their first SPL defeat of the season.

But the Ibrox boss knows cash-strapped Gers won't be able to afford a match-winner unless someone steps in to buy the club before the January transfer window closes.

Smith was dejected after a 1-0 defeat at Aberdeen saw his troops surrender top spot to Celtic yesterday.

Gers failed to break down the battling Dons who played the last 30 minutes with 10 men after skipper Mark Kerr was sent off.

And the manager is desperate to find someone who can provide a creative spark in the final third.

Smith said: "We lack a wide player who can beat a man and do that kind of thing.

"That was what we needed against Aberdeen.

"We started slowly and conceded an early opener. We came into the game after 20 minutes then dictated things.

"That was aided by the fact they went down to 10 men.

"We had plenty of pressure but there was no creativity.

Yes, Walter. Not only could us fans have told you that for most of your reign and particularly when you spunked money on Miller, Lafferty and Velicka when we needed midfielders....

Even when you've had players who 'could play wide', Walter, you've been at pains not to play them....Gow, Novo, Aaron...

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21859082/

Really Walter, do you think???

We have been saying that for a long time. Glad you've finally noticed.

Maybe if he actually gave the players some creative freedom, rather than telling them to fire in long balls as soon as they get the ball. If he is going to play Fleck out wide, he has to be given the freedom to roam, rather than giving him such rigid instructions.

we need 2 wide players not 1 we've nothing left or right side why sell Burke for free if we had no wide players same goes for Gow and then play either centre forwards or centre midfielders the i.e Lafferty Naismith Novo Davis Adam etc ( saw Aaron at the Arsenal tournament thought he was rank so can't understand the people that still rave about him he was terrible lost the ball about half second after he got it every time

smart comments to make. i think he's known for a long time we've needed a wide player (hence rothen was brought in to TRY and solve the problem). i reckon he's only saying this to give the players a kick up the arse and encourage them to attack the opponent rather than passing back

Its quite amazing that he has just realised this. Well maybe more scary than amazing.

To me, its Walter holding folk back - I mean see this: Slightly OT but I'm not sure if Wilson would have had so many gmes if Magic wasn't injured.

"As for Aaron, we've tried a few players on the left but he's probably the most natural for that position.

"I can understand people saying 'Give him a go'. But we don't want to throw Aaron in at the moment when points are so vital - it would be unfair on him.

"If we were winning the championship or leading games 2-0 we could put him in.

"But he's an exciting player with real talent and I'd expect him to feature between now and the end of the season."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-21032139/

"As for Aaron, we've tried a few players on the left but he's probably the most natural for that position.

"I can understand people saying 'Give him a go'. But we don't want to throw Aaron in at the moment when points are so vital - it would be unfair on him.

"But he's an exciting player with real talent and I'd expect him to feature between now and the end of the season."

That's actually embarrassing.

Also:

'It's a little bit unfortunate we haven't seen more of him and there is no doubt we (the management team) are probably to blame in that respect,' he added.

Coisty there (tu)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz0S9VkDIOG

I had these in my favourites btw.

i was genuinely excited about Aaron. playing very well and scoring for the Spain U21s which is laced with Barca and Real youth players aswell as taking the piss out of people in reserve games that he played. I'd rather he played than Lafferty out wide every day of the week but we shoved him out the door by not playing him.

If it is crying out that we need a wide player who can "beat a man" then why not play a player that fits that criteria? Give him games and he will get better just like most inexperienced players doh

Really pisses me off this issue of not giving some players a chance. He might not want to throw people in games because they are all "important" but if the shite he puts on the park doesn't cut it, then surely he should be trying something new. He gave Wilson a chance who is 17 and he has coasted through each one of his games so far surely that is proof to him!

I find that article unbelievable; you have to remember Walter has never believed in wingers. He had Laudrup but he was given a roving role,Huistra, who was never really a regular, other than that it has been strikers who played wide or midfielders who were stuck wide for their defensive qualities.

It actually is. Backwards 90's fucking mentality.

Joke honestly he is a clown. Rothen was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and look at him he is struggling in the SPL.

Maybe if Walter had played him in his natural position of LM, he would have been an instant success.

Instead Walter leaves him out to dry on the right and makes him lose all his confidence.

Play players in their natural positions or dont play them at all

Really Walter? Really? You are the manager who spunked money on Laff, Vel, Miller etc yet neglected a wide player. Had a promising LM in Aaron yet played Adam, Smith, McCulloch, Laff. Losing paitience with you Smith.

:lol:

Ate, like that started for you this lunchtime!