Mendes to Sporting CP?

j1mgg

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

However chances are we will never see it :(

Spot on, just what I said 2 posts above (tu)

And I've agreed many times on this.

He's sadly not 'Scottish' enough for some people.

I wouldn't want to stop the guy playing his football where he wants too. Would rather he was with Rangers but we don't really want a unsettled player on the books. I might be going a bit over the top. If he wants to go he wants to go.

Great move for Mendes to be fair.

31, back to his home country to see out his last three or four years.

He's done his bit for us, he'll only have cost £1.5m net as well.

+ wages mate.

Having said that, that goal against celtc probably paid the wages back :)

+ wages mate.

Or his debut against Hearts.

What. A. Performance.

+ wages mate.

Or his debut against Hearts.

What. A. Performance.

True :praise:

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 07 Jan 2010

Pedro Mendes will have to take a pay cut to land a return to Portugal.

Sporting Lisbon are expected to make an official bid for the Rangers midfielder when they sell Miguel Veloso.

Technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has agreed to a £1.5million offer for Mendes - but he will not match the £20,000-a-week he is getting at Gers.

But a two-and-a-half year deal and the chance to play his way into Portugal's World Cup squad is likely to sway the midfielder.

Mendes last night told Portuguese radio: "I've not received an official offer from Sporting but that is normal. I'll decide the best option for me. The final decision to sell is down to Rangers.

"If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

"Right now I'm focusing on getting fit and fighting for my place in the Portugal squad for the World Cup."

SunSport revealed yesterday Gers would be willing to let Mendes go this month.

Gers assistant Ally McCoist said: "I'd never grudge Pedro anything.

"He's obviously got great hopes of going to a World Cup.

"He's 30 and might have an opportunity to end his career at home.

"I'd never grudge him that, but I hope he doesn't go.

"From where I'm sitting I don't want anyone to go."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...-a-pay-cut.html

He has to fight for his place in the Rangers team first. If he stays.

I saw Sporting this season and they were so fucking bad Angulo retired afterwards.

They were like one of McLeish's bad Rangers teams: two defensive midfielders lumping it up to Liedson. No width, no creativity.

Fernandez was injured though to be fair.

Unless they're planning to sell Moutinho or Veloso I'm not sure why they'd go for Mendes.

He won't thunder into tackles, but his awareness of positioning and willingness to track back means that he could slot into McCulloch's current role without any problems.

Add in his ability to knit play together, spot a pass and spread play with ease and a fast improving side could potentially move onto a whole new level.

However chances are we will never see it :(

Spot on, just what I said 2 posts above (tu)

And I've agreed many times on this.

He's sadly not 'Scottish' enough for some people.

Im not sure that really is the case with Mendes. You wont get more Scottish than Big Lee but im sure 95%+ would rather have Pedro.

I dont think any Rangers fan wouldnt appreciate a flair player when they are playing well and producing, but Mendes hasnt been like that the whole time hes been here. He showed it at the start and everyone was happy, but then he started to only show it in flashes.

His style of play only really benefits a team that has good players around him which hasnt always been the case, but I think in this current team though he could turn those flashes into a real run of form

:anguish:

Pedro Mendes has offered to leave Rangers in the January transfer window if the club say they need the money to keep other players on. The Portuguese midfielder is attracting interest from Sporting Lisbon, who will make a £1.5 million move for the player if they sell top talent Miguel Veloso.

Mendes is on a reported £20,000 a week at Ibrox and the money saved on his wages – together with any transfer fee – could go towards an improved contract for the SPL’s all-time top goalscorer Kris Boyd. Boyd is out of contract at the end of the current campaign and his club are desperate to retain his services.

Former Tottenham and Porto midfielder Mendes has 18 months left on his current deal but has told Rangers that he would be keen on a return to his home country if they decide the time has come for him to move on.

“I do not know if they have to sell,” Mendes told the Daily Record. “But if they do then I wouldn’t mind moving if it helped the club. I’m aware Rangers are not in a good financial position but to what extent I’m not sure.

“Sporting are one of the great clubs in Portugal and I would be open to a proposal if Rangers let me leave. So far it is all just speculation as I have not spoken to Sporting yet and there has been no contact from the directors.”

Should an offer to return to Portugal be forthcoming, Mendes will have to decide between his current pay packet and the chance to impress in his homeland ahead of the 2010 World Cup. Sporting’s technical director Ricardo Sa Pinto has made it clear that his club cannot match his current salary demands, but the offer of a long-term deal on reduced terms may still be appealing to the player.

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist admitted yesterday that his club would be willing to allow Mendes to leave this month but stated his hopes that he could stay on with the SPL champions.

“I’d never grudge Pedro anything,” said McCoist. “He’s obviously got great hopes of going to a World Cup. He’s 30 and might have an opportunity to end his career at home.

“I’d never grudge him that, but I hope he doesn’t go. From where I’m sitting I don’t want anyone to go.”

Last updated: 07 January 2010, 08:01

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...or-return-home/

Offering to leave...for his own benefit. Not ours.

roughly translated (tu)

Decent a player as he is, he wont play in his best position for us, and, is the most expendable of players we have really. The fee is a bit embarassing, but, whats new?

Don't be so harsh guys.

Who can fault a 30 yo wanting to end his career in his home country, and also enhance his chances of going to the WC at the same time?

He's done Ok for us over the piece, and shouldn't be grudged one last throw of the dice in the twilight of his career.

The fee should be higher than it is though.

fuck sake lads give mendes a break, he knows he wont get the same wage elsewhere yet he still says he's willing to go

yes he would prefer a new 3 year deal with a club at a reduced wage, who fucking wouldnt at 30-31

how would you feel if he knocked back any offer we received because he liked the cushty wage he's getting here

this move wont harm us in the long run, so why all the criticism aimed at mendes

I agree with jimbeamjunior, he's offering to go to help out the club. Aye, it may benefit him but he's not exactly saying what Rothen's saying is he? 'This is shite I want to go home.'

Mendes is a decent guy and wouldn't do anything to spite Rangers. I want him to stay, I still think he's by far one of the better players in our team, but some people on these boards need to get a grip and realise that everyone's not out to get them.