The broad Church of modern day Rangers fans

following on from Minstrals thread it has become clear that the media's image of the modern day Rangers support is at least 20 years out of date.

We all know what our history and traditions are - and I'm not saying their is anything wrong with it. There are wide views and opinions surrounding our Protestant heritage and wether it is relevant anymore and this is the way it should be - the world, and this message board would be a little boring if everyone agreed.

We should band together, celebrate our past and move forward to the future as a tolerant support rather than the bigots we are made out to be. Accept that the World has moved on since the old days but in no way forget our history and tradition. We are all Rangers fans after all and this antagonism in unnecessary, our club has enough enemies without our support splitting into factions.

We Are The People

CUNTS like you are causing the divide amongst our fans aided and abetted by a catholic mhedia ! :sherlock:

PS - You don't fool the Corleone !

what?? its people like you who are causing our club to get attacked, wise up and move on.

what does the last part mean? are you insinuating that I am a tim? come right out and say it then and dont hide behind innuendo and hyperbole

Take whit ye like oot of it am gaun tae ma Big Protestants Sons for ma dinner ! I shall return ! Who said that ? :sherlock:

aye whatever

qualify your statements

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

following on from Minstrals thread it has become clear that the media's image of the modern day Rangers support is at least 20 years out of date.

We all know what our history and traditions are - and I'm not saying their is anything wrong with it. There are wide views and opinions surrounding our Protestant heritage and wether it is relevant anymore and this is the way it should be - the world, and this message board would be a little boring if everyone agreed.

We should band together, celebrate our past and move forward to the future as a tolerant support rather than the bigots we are made out to be. Accept that the World has moved on since the old days but in no way forget our history and tradition. We are all Rangers fans after all and this antagonism in unnecessary, our club has enough enemies without our support splitting into factions.

We Are The People

CUNTS like you are causing the divide amongst our fans aided and abetted by a catholic mhedia ! :sherlock:

what?? its people like you who are causing our club to get attacked, wise up and move on.

what does the last part mean? are you insinuating that I am a tim? come right out and say it then and dont hide behind innuendo and hyperbole

Take whit ye like oot of it am gaun tae ma Big Protestants Sons for ma dinner ! I shall return ! Who said that ? :sherlock:

aye whatever

qualify your statements

Ye talk some pish :sherlock:

We Are The People

wise you up and move on and close this thread tae fuck and you must be a tim comin out with that shit well sayin your from aberdeen your well away from the real world up there nothing has changed and nothing will change this is a british club with a very strong unionist belief so its people like you thats spliting our tradition .

I wouldn't say our support was divided really. Only so much as that some people will songs like TBB while some won't - and i understand both views, and both sets of people believe they are doing whats best for our club. Fair enough a lot of people have different opinions on some of our more controversial songs, but people aren't sheep.

While some people's family history might not share some of our history which is supported by the clubs history (such as serving in the armed forces or member of an orange lodge) i don't know any rangers fans who would try to take that away from them. Generally i think our supports view is very united.

We will always have certain religious and otherwise affiliations at this club - its unavoidable - and in the same way it is impossible in modern Britain not to attract people from other backgrounds. I think the problem is when people start trying to change peoples points of view. Each to their own and all that. I'd never criticise someone for singing Derrys walls, but in the same way i'd never criticise someone for not singing it. I can't expect everyone to feel the same connection with the song and topic

seems to me that some of it depends on where you grew up

I grew up on the east coast of Scotland

no car bombs

no segregated neighbourhoods

no days where 'its not clever' to wear my rangers shirt in the centre of town

some of my relatives are Tims, rip into them when we win and give them the swerve when we lose

Play 5 a sides with Tims

Go out drinking with Tims

I'm not judging anyone on here, you live somewhere completely different, your history is different

We Are The People

wise you up and move on and close this thread tae fuck and you must be a tim comin out with that shit well sayin your from aberdeen your well away from the real world up there nothing has changed and nothing will change this is a british club with a very strong unionist belief so its people like you thats spliting our tradition .

Why do people come out with that same line "you must be a tim" when they disagree with them. Its the most pathtic arguament that ever comes out in here. Some of us have differing opinions. Deal with it. We are all Bears who care about our club

Ye talk some pish :sherlock:

well, coming from you I will take that as a compliment

knob

knob??????? Am cut tae the quick, whit a way tae treat a sensitive auld man ! :sherlock:

aye well, to be fair you called me a 'cunt' a 'tim' and someone who 'talks pish' in the space of about 20 minutes

If you cannot be civil to me then I am not going to be civil to you

I wouldn't say our support was divided really. Only so much as that some people will songs like TBB while some won't - and i understand both views, and both sets of people believe they are doing whats best for our club. Fair enough a lot of people have different opinions on some of our more controversial songs, but people aren't sheep.

While some people's family history might not share some of our history which is supported by the clubs history (such as serving in the armed forces or member of an orange lodge) i don't know any rangers fans who would try to take that away from them. Generally i think our supports view is very united.

We will always have certain religious and otherwise affiliations at this club - its unavoidable - and in the same way it is impossible in modern Britain not to attract people from other backgrounds. I think the problem is when people start trying to change peoples points of view. Each to their own and all that. I'd never criticise someone for singing Derrys walls, but in the same way i'd never criticise someone for not singing it. I can't expect everyone to feel the same connection with the song and topic

:praise:

We Are The People

Why do people come out with that same line "you must be a tim" when they disagree with them. Its the most pathtic arguament that ever comes out in here. Some of us have differing opinions. Deal with it. We are all Bears who care about our club

Sniff sniff :ph34r:

i support Rangers because am a Protestant , Rangers are a football club with history and heritage steep and deep within the protestant community of Glasgow and nation wide. why do you think we have RSC'S outside Glasgow?

We Are The People

do you care about the clubs identity and history :crywank:

I know I'm taking the bait here something awful, but it's a slow night so here goes...

Just so everyone knows, I'm trying to read the whole thread, and I'm only on page 4 so far, but there are a couple of points I'd like to respond to.

Outlaw69 -

Where do you get this view that its a "cause"? Its not a cause. What you are missing, completely (and it was the main focus of my last article), is that Rangers are a Scottish football team. Scotland is in Great Britain. Our sovereign is the Queen, she is also the head of a particular church. Its not a "cause", its a representation of the general population of the bloody country mate! Rangers werent founded on religious or political ideals, however, back in the days of support your local team, the people who did so were of that persuasion. Again, simple facts. If you take the local area today, it is still the same demographic. Another club was founded solely on religious, national and political grounds, which they continue to this day. There is a difference.

I'm not going to disagree with you that Celtic were founded for Catholics, that is self evident. You say Rangers weren't founded on religious or political ideals either, I'll go with that also. But what many people are arguing for now is that we uphold religious and political ideals! So do we uphold our founding principles, which according to you are simply a representation of the general population, or do we take a specific religious and political line? Govan, as I'm sure you know, is a lot different in 2010 than it was in 1873. If Rangers as a club are simply a representation of the fans, then the club will change as people's opinions change, this is inevitable. Your argument seems a bit contradicting in this sense.

Yellowcross -

For me if you took away the traditions / songs / religious aspect / britishness etc you would be left with something as appealing as ... well tofu..!

That's your opinion obviously, but what is more appealing than the most successful Scottish club, 52 Championships, some of the best footballers the world has seen have passed through our gates, more recently helicopter Sunday, Manchester. If that is tofu then sign me up! You're right though, there is a comeradere amongst bears but why can't that be based on football?

bluepeter9 -

However the UK, Scotland in particular, has always embraced 'immigrants' we have had huge NI, Italian, Chinese and Pakastani influxes, now we have Eastern Europeans and they add to our depth of culture (IMHO) and do not detract from it. I have no time for anyone who wants to come here and change our rules but have no problems with assimulation of other faiths, traditions and ideas into our culture (On a base level - and you can tell I am a fat b'stard with this - where would we be without Italians (Chippy's and Pizza, Chinese and Indian/Pakastanis Influences?) - So as Scotland becomes, and is, a 'broad' church so should Rangers be. A drive towards two specific causes (Loyalist and Protestant) will marginilise our club to its detriment. Hence why I support a non-political / religious agenda for our club

You are spot on. Britian, Scotland, Glasgow and Rangers have all been enriched and strengthen by this phenomenum. (tu)

My own thoughts on the matter are probably already known to those who recognise my posts, but basically people are free to be whatever they want to be. If you want to be a Loyalist, join a Loyalist club. If you want to be a Unionist, join a Unionist club. If you want to be a Prodestant, join the Church of Scotland. If you want to be a Rangers fan, then supports Rangers.

That's your opinion obviously, but what is more appealing than the most successful Scottish club, 52 Championships, some of the best footballers the world has seen have passed through our gates, more recently helicopter Sunday, Manchester. If that is tofu then sign me up! You're right though, there is a comeradere amongst bears but why can't that be based on football?

Because people disagree all the time about the football itself.

The Loyalist and Protestant links of the club are things that unite thousands of fans and are very important to a huge portion of our support, as a way of identifying with the club.

The fact some people want to throw that out is absolutely disrespectful to their fellow fans.

OBVIOUSLY theres been 11 pages of PISH been spouted on here ,HENCE THE FACT ITS BEEN HOURS SINCE THE LAST SENSIBLE POST ......

THIS FORUM IS FULL OF BULLSHITTERS THATS OBVIOUS BY THIS FFS

Why is the forum full of bullshiters.

I actually believe that there is nothing wrong the protestant/loyalist link to our club. I think outlaw made a good point when he states that the club only reflects the demographics of the area that it is located. Football and religion and politics go together all over the world - Barcelona/Espanyol is a classic example. I don't see why that is so bad to some people. IMO the Protestant links have helped define us as a club.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned that your upbringing, as well as where you're brought up helps to define your outlook on what the Rangers represent. Someone in the Highlands or Shetland has a far different experience to someone from Belfast, Glasgow or L/derry. Having lived in Belfast myself its easy to see where songs like Derry's walls, the sash, UDR4, billy boys etc actually come from and why they remain relevant today. I always feel immensely proud hearing and singing these songs at Ibrox, along with Every other saturday, follow follow etc.

A bit of culture is something to be proud of, and I feel a bit insulted when people insinuate on here that its a bad thing. If we dropped it, we wouldn't be the same Rangers anymore. We would be a shell of a club. Nothing more than a Kilmarnock or an Aberdeen. I see no reason why the protestant links should put people of other backgrounds off, because I know people from oth er backgrounds who are massive Rangers fans (not physically haha) who have no problems with it at all.

The only problem arises when (and I think this is a possibly the main reason guys like BP9 and Bjorkland want the protestant links removed) people use it purely to "get it right up" the other lot. I'm not saying that anyone on here does that, but I think it can happen. It's worth remembering that in celebrating our own culture, we must respect the culture of other people.

another 11 page topic about what ???

someone enlighten me please.

There's people on this site that hate our club,our culture and our idendity,which in my opinion is wrong and these people that do not think this is wrong to hate us(british)are not worth a breath of my oxagen or you oxagen.that is all.FTP A I RAN AWAY.THAT IS ALL