Back To His Best : Naisy

Stu1993

WALTER SMITH believes Steven Naismith is in the best form of his Rangers career after the striker's double against Hearts on Saturday.

The former Kilmarnock man's brace at Tynecastle rounded off a good week for him on a personal level.

After setting up Kenny Miller's winner in the League Cup final, Naismith also turned in an excellent central midfield showing in the 1-0 Scottish Cup loss at Dundee United.

The 23-year-old has struggled with injuries and form ever since he moved to Gers from Rugby Park in August 2007.

But he now seems to be coming good at a crucial time in the season, with the Light Blues looking to extend their SPL lead to 13 points at St Johnstone tomorrow night.

Smith said: "I'm very pleased with how Steven has been doing. He started well for Rangers but then had a very bad injury.

"That and one or two other problems kept him out of the team and he has not had any consistency in terms of his performances.

"I think that affected his confidence in many ways but just now he looks as confident and as strong as he has been at any point in the time since he came to us.

"He is playing exceptionally well and he has deserved the starts he has had. We are delighted he is back and he has shown he can be a goal threat.

"We knew that about him. The one thing about him is he has played a number of positions but his own preference is to play up front.

Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller have been doing very well there for us but it hasn't stopped Steven getting involved too and his input in the last couple of games has been great."

Naismith is a likely starter at McDiarmid Park and with Kirk Broadfoot and Madjid Bougherra still out injured, it wouldn't be surprising if Rangers were unchanged.

Smith was happy with his team's performance against Hearts at the weekend as it beat the Jambos 4-1 at Tynecastle.

But now, with four victories still needed to win the SPL title, the manager is adamant his men must keep applying pressure on their rivals.

He added: "You always need a good edge in your game. We got that on Saturday and we'll need it again tomorrow night when we go to St Johnstone.

"The one thing about them is the level of enthusiasm that they have in their team. We will have to make sure we are up for that match.

"There can be no slacking off and it doesn't matter what anybody says about winning league titles.

"You don't win them until you have got your hands on the trophy and let's remember we had to come from behind to win last season.

"When I arrived three years ago, Celtic had a huge lead over us and we have turned that around but now we must try to make sure there's still an edge in our play."

WALTER SMITH believes Steven Naismith is in the best form of his Rangers career after the striker's double against Hearts on Saturday.

The former Kilmarnock man's brace at Tynecastle rounded off a good week for him on a personal level.

After setting up Kenny Miller's winner in the League Cup final, Naismith also turned in an excellent central midfield showing in the 1-0 Scottish Cup loss at Dundee United.

The 23-year-old has struggled with injuries and form ever since he moved to Gers from Rugby Park in August 2007.

But he now seems to be coming good at a crucial time in the season, with the Light Blues looking to extend their SPL lead to 13 points at St Johnstone tomorrow night.

Smith said: "I'm very pleased with how Steven has been doing. He started well for Rangers but then had a very bad injury.

"That and one or two other problems kept him out of the team and he has not had any consistency in terms of his performances.

"I think that affected his confidence in many ways but just now he looks as confident and as strong as he has been at any point in the time since he came to us.

"He is playing exceptionally well and he has deserved the starts he has had. We are delighted he is back and he has shown he can be a goal threat.

"We knew that about him. The one thing about him is he has played a number of positions but his own preference is to play up front.

Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller have been doing very well there for us but it hasn't stopped Steven getting involved too and his input in the last couple of games has been great."

Naismith is a likely starter at McDiarmid Park and with Kirk Broadfoot and Madjid Bougherra still out injured, it wouldn't be surprising if Rangers were unchanged.

Smith was happy with his team's performance against Hearts at the weekend as it beat the Jambos 4-1 at Tynecastle.

But now, with four victories still needed to win the SPL title, the manager is adamant his men must keep applying pressure on their rivals.

He added: "You always need a good edge in your game. We got that on Saturday and we'll need it again tomorrow night when we go to St Johnstone.

"The one thing about them is the level of enthusiasm that they have in their team. We will have to make sure we are up for that match.

"There can be no slacking off and it doesn't matter what anybody says about winning league titles.

"You don't win them until you have got your hands on the trophy and let's remember we had to come from behind to win last season.

"When I arrived three years ago, Celtic had a huge lead over us and we have turned that around but now we must try to make sure there's still an edge in our play."

How can the term "excellent" be banded about when we lost :anguish:

Played well when he came on in the Cup Final, worked hard out of position at Tannadice, and played well for 60 minutes at Tynecastle.

Too early to judge him. His constant moaning annoy's me.

There have been a few times in Steven Naismith's Rangers career where this has been said and then the following week he gets injured or loses form.

Hopefully he can keep it going from now until the end of the season.

i loved it when Burley was commentating and was saying he comes in to the centre too much and he should be hugging the by-line. Two mins later he comes in to the centre takes the ball from boyds header smacks the bar and miller scored the rebound. Not long after that Burley was praising him for comming in to the centre <cr> total assclown

STEVEN NAISMITH was delighted to score a sensational double in Rangers' 4-1 win over Hearts on Sunday which is hardly surprising.

The 23-year-old has endured a stop-start time at Ibrox following his move from Kilmarnock in August 2007 but he now looks back to his best having played in three games on the bounce.

Naisy came off the bench in the League Cup final and provided the pin-point cross which led to Kenny Miller's winning goal.

Steven Naismith scores his second goal against HeartsHe followed that with an industrious display in the centre of midfield against Dundee United before bagging his brace in a man-of-the-match performance against the Jambos.

For Steven just being back playing is a boost and he now hopes to retain his place in the team from now until the end of the campaign.

He said: "It's been a great week. Just to be involved in the cup final was pleasing and setting up the goal was a bonus.

"Unfortunately we went out of the Scottish Cup to Dundee United but I was pretty happy with the way I played.

"And to get a couple of goals at Tynecastle was a brilliant feeling.

"This season has not been the best for me; at the start I was involved most weeks and playing in the Champions League games before I tore my hamstring.

"Football is the worst job in the world when you are not playing.

"You have to come in and watch all the boys train and it can be really tough.

"But in the last couple of months I have been back fit and it's just been a case of trying to get a spot in the team.

"Credit needs to go to the boys as they have been doing very well but I have just had to bide my time."

Sasa Papac celebrates his winning goal against St. JohnstoneSteven knows that four wins will give Rangers their second successive championship but there is still a lot of hard work ahead.

He said: "It's not over until it's mathematically impossible so we just need to take it one game at a time.

"Saturday was a tough one for us, going to Tynecastle is always hard with the fans right on top of you.

"So we were delighted with the 4-1 win but we now have to go to St. Johnstone and get a good result there.

"We went up there earlier in the season and it took a late goal from Sasa to get us the win.

"It's definitely going to be a tough game as they have being doing well and shown that they are no pushovers."

Naisy still believes that his best position is in attack but he is more than happy to play in a number of roles if it increases his chances of getting in the team.

He said: "I have come through as a striker but at a club like Rangers you can't just say that you are going to play in one position.

"You need to take your chances when they come along.

"On Saturday I played on the left and against Dundee United I was in the centre of midfield but I am just happy to be back on the pitch.

"I see myself as a forward but there are not many players that would get in front of Boydy and Kenny the way they have performed this season."

Naismith is a forward and not a midfielder. he played very well versus Hearts, but has had a very poor season overall. Let's hope this is the beginning of the real Naismith and not the headless bumbling chicken of most of this season. I was over the moon when we signed him, but he has been a disappointment so far with injuries and poor form to date. he has a lot of talent when on top form, but needs to be on top form a lot more often than he has been.

Naismith hasn't been half as bad as people are making out.

He was probably our best player in the first block of games that were played before the Scotland Holland game.

After that he's been in and out the team and injured. When

that's the case you ate never going to see the best of a player.

He got plenty of experiece of playing from a wider role so I hope he gets a real run between now and the end of the season.

It would be excellent to see him play like that every week. He was outstanding on Saturday. His first goal was a cracker, I am sure in the studio Mark Hateley said it was lucky? I am sure he said it was deflected, didn't look like it. I thought it went straight it.

Need to remember folks.. serious injury followed by niggling stuff that has made it hard for him to be at his best.

He is now getting back to that. Every week, I mention how long it has taken Thommo to get back... Naisy is no different.

And now, like every week, I will say it again. He will be a huge player for us. He has the talent, the passion -- and a sound head.

A great player is Steven Naismith. He will prove it -- of that I am certain. Not too much else in life mind you -- but this?" A dead cert.

was just reading this on the sun website.

boogie.png

STEVIE NAISMITH feared the closest he would get to Co-op Cup glory was a seat in the Hampden stands.

Just nine days later, the Rangers ace will be among the first names on Walter Smith's teamsheet tonight.

Wing king Naisy has had a rollercoaster Ibrox career, with medal highs and injury lows.

But he has soared back into the limelight in the past week after stepping from the bench to create a cup final winner for nine-man Gers against St Mirren.

He bagged a deadly double in the 4-1 weekend triumph at Hearts to fire Gers within four wins of the SPL title.

Now he is desperate for another victory at St Johnstone tonight to finally cement his place in Smith's side.

Naismith said: "In the week leading up to the game, I was thinking I might be left out of another cup final.

"I was glad just to see my name on the teamsheet.

"I created the goal and that gives you a lot of confidence. You feel you have contributed to the winning of a cup.

"Maybe that was just the wee bit of luck I needed to give myself a boost. Before, I was maybe coming on in games when we were already two or three goals up. You are trying to do things when everyone else just wants to keep possession.

"You don't feel you are doing as well as you can.

"But it has been a good week for me. I set up the goal at Hampden, I felt I did pretty well at Tannadice and Saturday was a chance to remember how it feels to score a goal again."

Naismith, 23, hadn't scored in the SPL since the opening day of the season prior to his Tynecastle heroics.

After missing so much of last term with cruciate damage, he has had a hamstring setback this campaign.

But the most damaging blow of all was to his confidence as he toiled to regain a first-team spot.

He added: "I really found the confidence side of things harder than I thought.

"At Kilmarnock, you could not have your best game but feel you could be in the team next week.

"At Rangers, though, you need to play well or you are out. I've definitely felt the consequences of that before. If you start to doubt yourself too much it can lead to all sorts of problems.

"I was probably going into games and trying too hard. I thought I had to do something or go to the back of the queue again.

"That meant my head would go down when things weren't happening and I would get frustrated.

"But the manager spoke to me a few times when I was out of the team, telling me they believed in me and knew what I could do.

"He said I didn't need to feel I had to try too hard to impress every time I went on the field. That obviously helped.

"The older boys are always ready with advice to keep the younger ones going too. They give you the confidence you need and, obviously, you have to believe in your own ability."

Naisy stepped from the bench to set up Kenny Miller's Co-op Cup winner against St Mirren.

He excelled in a central midfield role in the 1-0 Scottish Cup exit to Dundee United last midweek.

And he rolled back the clock with a vintage performance against Jambos on Saturday.

Advertisement

Q4_Focus_central_PrimaryBrand2_300x250_UK.jpg

Now he finally feels part of the championship charge, with Gers looking to extend their lead over Celtic to 13 points with victory at McDiarmid Park tonight. He said: "I got a title medal last year, but not playing as many games as I would have liked meant it's not the same as, hopefully, this year would be.

"This year I definitely feel more part of the unit. Last season, I just came in at the end of it after injury.

"I felt I started this season pretty well, playing in the first four Champions League games and a lot of the SPL games.

"Then, against Killie at Ibrox, I tore my hamstring and that set me back.

"But the buzz of getting back in over the last week and feeling I've been able to contribute has been good enough for me."

Gers could clinch two-in-a-row before the SPL split if they win all their games.

And Naismith is determined the champions-elect won't take their foot off the gas.

He added: "We want to go out and win every game and win the league as soon as possible.

"We have tough games over the next ten days and we always knew Tynecastle would be tough.

"This will be tough as well because we scraped a 2-1 win over St Johnstone there earlier in the season. The sooner you wrap it up the better. Then you know it is finally done.

"The worst thing would be to lose a few games. Then there could be that wee bit of doubt again about Celtic closing the gap."

Gers gaffer Smith is thrilled to have such a key player back in top form for the title run-in.

He said: "Steven has had a spell of 18 months of disruption through injury and when that happens they have to be given a bit of time.

"It is the first time in his career he has suffered anything like that.

"Once you get a wee problem it can affect you and I think it really affected his confidence.

"The good thing is he has been starting to show in training and in games that he is getting that confidence back.

"He has turned in a couple of really good performances for us.

"When you see him playing the way he has done in the last couple of games, it is a great benefit for us to have him back.

"I think he will go on and settle to be a really good player. He has the capability of being a top player."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz0jcp2LfdS

Sometimes players get slated too much, and in some times it's justified, but when a player gets plagued by injuries and then has to get back to match fitness, that's even if they can get back into the squad because other players are playing well then not only is it going to knock their confidence a bit, but it's also going to take time to get back to a decent standard.

With the wee run of games he's had he has shown there is something there, and that sparkle is back which is why he was bought in the first place, and for those that slated him for the Utd game it must be remembered he was playing totally out of position and irrespective of that he did play quite well, still surprises me that he was played in that position and not Fleck, to me that would have been better having Naismith up front with Fleck in the role which would have been filled by Davis.

A bit early like I said earlier on in the thread. Piss poor last night. More interested in fouling, giving away possession, getting caught offside, and slating the referee. His moaning annoy's the hell out of me.

A bit early like I said earlier on in the thread. Piss poor last night. More interested in fouling, giving away possession, getting caught offside, and slating the referee. His moaning annoy's the hell out of me.

Back to his normal game again then? He must lose possession more than any other player.